How-To: Trunk Button LED - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59197
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

Points 1,884, Level 25
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 kris4christ2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How-To: Trunk Button LED

Tools/Materials Required:

1. Small Flathead Screwdriver
2. Dremel and Small (Sanding or Grinding) Bit [when I find the paper, I'll update the specific # of the one I used.]
3. Pre-Wired Surface Mount LED (Available through Oznium.com)
* It may be possible to use a 3mm led - try at your own risk.*

Note: I would say it's an Intermediate Level Mod. REQUIRES PATIENCE AND TIME. You CANNOT Rush This Mod or you might screw it up, have to get another trunk button, then start all over (if you have never used a dremel before, then practice first! If you can, get a junk trunk button to practice with).

I have a 2005; the prior years shouldn't be too different from my setup, but 2008+ I have no idea about. **Some pictures are Thumbnails because 1) they are showing different angles, and 2) they are not necessary for everyone to check out, so I don't want them taking up so much space.

OK, first things first. You have to remove the trunk button.

The Trunk Button should pull out of the trim towards you. If you'd like, remove the obnoxiously big curved trim - it is clipped in except for one bolt towards the bottom left of the headlight switch. (This also requires other panels to be removed. I won't go into detail here because I already had my car taken apart, but if you need the information let me know.)

Don't yank too far out because of the trunk wiring. (You may or may not have to unbolt it depending on if you can get your fingers/hand behind the trunk button.) Push it out from the inside, and disconnect the wiring if you haven't done so.

Here's what you have: (this was taken after I finished, so ignore that wire for now =p )

We'll give it Three Parts: Front, Middle, and Back.

Remove the Back Part, Carefully, by using the very small flathead screwdriver to pry apart the two sides with tabs. When you do so, there's a white squishy piece which I assume contacts both ends to make it work. (It only goes on one way in case it falls, which it probably will.)

Next, separate the Middle part from the Front. Again, use the screwdriver and slightly pry between the walls on the inside apart to detach them. (All three pieces only attach Properly one way, in case you drop them or think they are backwards when reinstalling.)

Looking on the inside of the Front piece you will see this:

There are 3 Lines/Legs, a Tripod if you will, blocking the Car Image, with a Star shape in the center. (This is probably to keep that white squishy piece from making good contact with the leads.) Well, we're going to cut/sand one of the Legs/Lines away. I chose the "top" Line. The reason for this is becase there are 6 small tabs at the "base" of the Front piece, 3 each on the two sides with the short walls. This prevents the Middle piece from going too far against the Front. The top line hits one of the long walls and doesn't have any of those tabs in the way (our LED will be going there).

**UPDATE** - I ended up sanding away the "star" and most of all three lines to get a brighter light dead center; but, then it ended up being WAY Too bright, and I had to stick some bits of scotch tape and paper to lower the intensity a bit.. so be careful what you choose to do. And, I used hot glue to keep the light in place.*

Here's the attachment I used on my dremel. The smaller the better.

TAKE YOUR TIME WITH THIS STEP. You need steady hands. Do not go through the White Plastic; don't stay in one spot too long, or it may create too much heat and melt something that's not being cut. Do not hit the walls too much and make them jagged.

Now, with sanding away the top line, you will also be cutting a hole in the long wall at the bottom of it. Only make it big enough to fit the Surface Mount LED through snug; you don't want it moving around (if anything though, you can use a dab of hot glue to secure it). *Also, the LED comes with double sided tape on it, but it won't really do anything for you here.* The Surface Mount LED is just thin enough, and isn't higher than those Base Tabs; thus the Middle Piece will be free to move as normal against the Front piece.

After you finish dremeling, put the SM LED into the new hole, secure it, and TEST the LED. Temporarily attach the positive and negative wires to your Accessory power and ground. Make sure the light is right and still positioned how you want it. Also "push" the button to assure it's not being snagged on anything.

-

-

Next, attach the Front and Middle pieces together. Then attach the Back piece. (Remember they will only fit one way.)
Once you have the one-piece trunk button, Test the releasing Function of the Trunk Button by shortly attaching it back to the vehicle wires/clip.

If everything works properly, (disconnect the button from vehicle wires) continue to the next step - Hooking up the LED and installing Quick Connects/Disconnects. WITHOUT this Step, if you ever need to remove your dash trim again, you'll be cutting the wires, or have the trim in your way. Or you would just have to leave the LED wires on the front of the trim to always be seen, or cut a line in your trim so the wires can just slide out - but why would you want that?!

Hooking up the LED wires: The Surface Mount LED and the Trunk Button only have two wires (I think it's safe to say, they are the Positive/Power and Negative/Ground.) I don't believe attaching the LED positive wire to the button's power wire would be good (if it worked, I assume it would always stay illuminated). What I did was hook up the LED to an Accessory wire (one of the two Orange/Black wires on the kick panel harness). They power the interior lights (only when the light switch is turned on) - headlight switch, instrument cluster, gear selector, etc. If you follow the wires though, you could tap into them somewhere else a little higher up by the steering column. Once you connect the positive wire to whichever Acc Power source, connect your Ground (pick one), and you're all set.

Install the quick disconnects where you prefer, whether higher up behind where the trunk button sits, or lower down by the kick panel (where I placed them, so I have more room to disconnect in the future). Your wire layout will be like this:

I used these fully insulated disconnects, but I'm sure the other styles would work just as fine, all you have to do is tape them up to prevent any shorting out.

Once the wiring is all taken care of, with the trunk button/LED Detached, place it through the trim hole. If it does not go all the way in because of the LED wire/tape, you can slightly sand a little bit away of the top of the hole.

Put the LED wires through the hole of the "frame" following the Trunk Button power/ground wires (Black/Yellow). All that's left to do is reconnect the wire ends and you're finished.

OFF -----
ON ------

Last edited by kris4christ2; 03-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,884, Level 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
If anyone has ideas or suggestions for this, feel free to post them up

Also, are there any Focus's with the Trunk Button already lit up?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
im not fully understanding what this mod is for.
do you now NOT have a trunk release button?

id like to see pics of the led mounted and installed.

ill sticky this for a minute
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Now534
Focus Addict

Fan#: 76549
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

Points 1,763, Level 24
Points: 1,763, Level: 24 Points: 1,763, Level: 24 Points: 1,763, Level: 24
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 Now534 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Its simply to illuminate the switch like the window switches. The Trunk Release should still work as normal.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,884, Level 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now534 View Post
Its simply to illuminate the switch like the window switches. The Trunk Release should still work as normal.
CORRECT ^^

My button does not have a light. Does yours?

And, of course it still works like normal - Fully Functional and fits in the dash trim. But, I'm still working on things, so it's not put all back together.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,884, Level 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
id like to see pics of the led mounted and installed.
I have the two pics showing it illuminated, then pictures showing the Surface Mount LED inside the switch...
Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Now534
Focus Addict

Points 1,763, Level 24
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
mine doesn't either i've been meaning to go to the junkyard and pick an extra or 2 to convert
Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #8
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,884, Level 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
i don't think any Focus has them. it wasn't set up for a light or anything like the window switches, nor was there room for one.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Now534
Focus Addict

Points 1,763, Level 24
Level Up 63% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
im working on a LED swap for the switches with some extra switches here haven't gone very far yet though
Old 03-07-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,884, Level 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
as long as you started :) take your time with the light mods. i have pics in my albums of my various finished lights.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
button , how-to , led , trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.