The Duratec Sparkplug Sticky - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #71
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion2kx View Post
No. Its a better plug for boost.
Boost aside, I was more or less concerned about electrical pollution as there non-resistor (AR103). Some cars can get away with it. As highlighted in a different thread, Honda's cannot (as an example). As far as I know, the problems a non-resistor plug can create are somewhat of an 'open book' with COP (coil on plug) on the Focus. CamoCustom is/has installed "103's". If they are in fact AR103 it would be good to know if he will run into any 'gremlins'.

felixthecat >> Yes, the brisk has been tried. No better than the stock or 104's (as reported).

Chris951 >>"its all in your head. you are not going to notice 5hp"
Remember It's HP to weight. I would say you would 'notice' 5HP, probably expressed better as "more pep". Please note that the gains with a header are even less (maybe 4HP), but the HP build comes on so much stronger over the stock header that folks feel it is worth the investment.

Ziggy Cockburn >> "Great, how the hell is a normal person suppose to know this?
They would not. That is why your here!
AND
"its sounds like more of a opinion then a fact"
TOM did some dyno work and it is posted in another thread (I am not going to go digging but have at it if you want).
But, let's get to the ZEN of your question. So, how many opinions begin to make a fact? I only ask this to give you a headache, as there are many divergent opinions on how many agreeing opinions are needed before those opinion begin to be accepted as fact.
Last of the Hatches #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #72
CamoCustom
Focus Addict

Fan#: 78390
What I Drive: 2011 Mazda 3 iTouring 2.0

FF Reputation: 2 CamoCustom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
. CamoCustom is/has installed "103's". If they are in fact AR103 it would be good to know if he will run into any 'gremlins'.
To clarify, I did NOT get the AR103s, just the regular Autolite Copper 103s.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #73
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCustom View Post
To clarify, I did NOT get the AR103s, just the regular Autolite Copper 103s.
Thanks for the clarification. Primary question/concern remains regarding the AR103's then. Does anyone run them in a DD?
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #74
J-Town_2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77950
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 R.I.P.-Currently 02'zx3

FF Reputation: 3 J-Town_2006ZX3 Good Standing Member
4-5hp more will help you in the quarter mile whether you feel it in the "butt dyno" or not, right?

Hatch Nation #26
Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #75
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Town_2006ZX3 View Post
4-5hp more will help you in the quarter mile whether you feel it in the "butt dyno" or not, right?
With a 4-5 hp gain, you're basically adding the power of a lawn-mower (and not a rider, either), it certainly wouldn't hurt the 1/4 time, but it won't make a big difference, either. If I were to guess, I would guess maybe some hundredths of a second difference...
Old 03-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #76
oblivion2kx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61764
What I Drive: 2004 Twighlight Blue 2.3l ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 oblivion2kx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
With a 4-5 hp gain, you're basically adding the power of a lawn-mower (and not a rider, either), it certainly wouldn't hurt the 1/4 time, but it won't make a big difference, either. If I were to guess, I would guess maybe some hundredths of a second difference...
5 horse power is alot

You figure the best cold air intake will get you at most 10hp at a price of $250 so thats $25 per 1 hp VS the copper plugs which gives you $2.5 per 1 hp .. that's 10 times more bang for the buck

Its a no-brainer.

I can show you a dyno of your wallet before and after copper plugs vs cai
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #77
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion2kx View Post
5 horse power is alot

You figure the best cold air intake will get you at most 10hp at a price of $250 so thats $25 per 1 hp VS the copper plugs which gives you $2.5 per 1 hp .. that's 10 times more bang for the buck

Its a no-brainer.

I can show you a dyno of your wallet before and after copper plugs vs cai
While 5 HP may be a lot to you, it is not to me. Sure, get the AR103s if you want the most power out of the engine (although for a significantly shorter life of the plug) but just don't go thinking that 5 HP is a lot. Unless if you're goofy.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #78
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn View Post
But My car runs fine?

When I switched to the Bosch units, I noticed a smoother idle and acceleration over the sock plugs that only had 70km on them..

I think you should maybe have some research or some hard data before bashing a brand that does not work in in a totally different motor design.

As of now, its sounds like more of a opinion then a fact, thus making this sticky not really a sticky, I personally think sticky s should contain factual information, not peoples personal ideals on certain brands.

If you said your were a automotive engineer for FoMoCo, or for major spark plug company, then yes this would be valid information. The one thing I've learned about "Automotive Technicians" They seem to be basis to brands depending on what sales rep does a better PK meeting.

I'm not trying to bash your ideals., I'm just stating my own.
actually it is fact from a few years back...my fact. not gonna dig for the thread just to appease you, you can do that for yourself.
Lets just suffice it to say, it's not a whole lotta fun when you spend the money you do on bosch, to have them leave you stranded because a center electrode fell out of one leaving a completely dead cylinder and a car that had to be towed to have the engine scoped (engine safety first). all while you were doing 75 down the interstate.
Something as important as a plug gets only one chance, bosch used it up.
There's 2 brands I will not use from experience. bosch and champion
Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #79
oblivion2kx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61764
What I Drive: 2004 Twighlight Blue 2.3l ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 oblivion2kx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
While 5 HP may be a lot to you, it is not to me. Sure, get the AR103s if you want the most power out of the engine (although for a significantly shorter life of the plug) but just don't go thinking that 5 HP is a lot. Unless if you're goofy.
5 more pounds of torque is nice though.. now that's something you can feel during city driving
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 PM   #80
Chris951
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78320
What I Drive: 1991 mustang 5.0, 1992 Talon Tsi

FF Reputation: 1 Chris951 Good Standing Member
@all of you, 5hp is not a lot. 50hp is a lot. not 5. you wont feel it. and your 1/4 times might go from 20.0 seconds to 19.99999. yes i just went there. so quit acting like you can feel more power from your copper plugs. its all in your head.

Bookmarks & Social Networks