High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 57 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 AM   #561
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Too bad for the SVT's sake that it's list of "goodies" is actually more of a list of liabilities. Getrag? Iron block? DSI? I give the SVT its due props. But I certainly don't see it through rose-colored glasses. Same goes for my ST. Despite (arguably) improved engine technology which responds better to bolt-ons, it is still an underwhelming car. Spend 3g's or so on a turbo and exhaust and it gets a whole lot more interesting (just like the SVT does with a good turbo kit or a JRSC).

Finally, in the 2012 Focus performance model (ST) the bleepin' car should need NO spicing up and should stand, as is, unapologetically SPORTING. And, best of all, it'll be available in the good 'ol US of A.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #562
HilloNative
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43548
What I Drive: '04 EAP Sonic Blue SVT, '04 Ranger

Points 2,404, Level 29
Points: 2,404, Level: 29 Points: 2,404, Level: 29 Points: 2,404, Level: 29
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 HilloNative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thank you HaveBlue83 and drkknight, That what i was trying to say.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #563
fast07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54363
What I Drive: 07 Red Focus ST, 93 Stang, 68 Stang

FF Reputation: 2 fast07st Good Standing Member
long live the ST - SVT rest in peace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
to continue the somehow US vs SVT debate, even though this is about the euro focus in this thread.

the SVTF came with Big brakes, a German 6-speed, 2-tone leather/Recaro, Iron Block, DSI, 4-2-1 header, HID headlights, and other little things that made it different......like a Serialized build number..........
We have coverd the difs between the SVT & 1st Gen US market ST to the max... and the unique parts of the ST as well... I not going to "focus" on that again :)

The point here is only one... (as much gruge as the SVT f driver has for the ST)... The ST was still the performance Focus for the years 05-07 both in the Euro market & US market.... (I know in two different cars) - but the model name ST was put there for a reason & that reason was performance!
Do I have to read the 07 focus ST Add for you guys again!??

I am just very glad that finally we have the continuation of the performance focus - now on par (i HOPE) w/ Europe. As for the name - it makes a lot more sense to call it ST - that's what the svt should've been called here... but branding at work.... called it svt f - only in N. America & only until the market changed....

... The downsizing of SVT - and their focus on the Shelby projects, the discontinuation of the Zetec, as well as Ford not wanting to bring the 05 euro focus to the us, plus the fact that in N American we have other cheaper and better performance cars w/ V8's... all led to the svt focus being discontinued..

So what we were left with was a performance model the ST - that used effectively well what Ford had in their corporate world (the 05-up euro ST used the same concept - e.g. the engine was Volvo's 2.5) & put it in the sedan body... with very good results.

I am into V8 cars (mustang mostly) yet when I raced by ST against other v8 cars I had my share of wins including stock 5.0's as well as other older american iron:)

The result was a car that was much cheaper to make, easier to sell and w/ comparable performance to the previous performance model - the svt f.

I understand your pain - it's so easy to see it in your statements.... your beloved special & "Serialized build number" car could only best the the ZX4 ST by a couple of 10ths in the 1/4 mile and w/ only a bit better performance in breaking & handling - mostly due to the larger wheels/tires combo.

How dare such a lowly car do that? A car that as you point out just a "total mis-use of the ST lineage and history name", "a family sedan", a car who "did not win hearts and minds like the ST170/SVT did, and it never will".

Guess what? It did just that! Or else we won't be having this discussion!

The point here is Long live the ST.... SVT rest in peace!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #564
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Lol itll be funny if the ST is called the SVT in the states or when they make the next RS they'll call that SVT here.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #565
fast07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54363
What I Drive: 07 Red Focus ST, 93 Stang, 68 Stang

FF Reputation: 2 fast07st Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Lol itll be funny if the ST is called the SVT in the states or when they make the next RS they'll call that SVT here.
Yes it would :) But as far as I understand from my visit to the Detroit autoshow... the ST is comming as seen... I have some pics let's see if I can post them here...

Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #566
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Actually, those two photos are shown in chronological order for what much of the competition will see when they challenge it (hello... and goodbye!). Call it ugly if you want, but it'll be gone!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #567
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
riiiight.
If it's gonna be that combination of baby diarrhea and Campbell's soup, then the quicker it gets away the better.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #568
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

Points 10,721, Level 68
Points: 10,721, Level: 68 Points: 10,721, Level: 68 Points: 10,721, Level: 68
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
to continue the somehow US vs SVT debate, even though this is about the euro focus in this thread.

the SVTF came with Big brakes, a German 6-speed, 2-tone leather/Recaro, Iron Block, DSI, 4-2-1 header, HID headlights, and other little things that made it different......like a Serialized build number.

ALSO....

the ZX4 "ST" (which was a total mis-use of the ST lineage and history name, much like the Ferrari Dino) was a family sedan. with a slightly amped up engine and a lil bit bigger brakes. it was NOT an SVT/ST170. not close. i'm sorry. it did not win hearts and minds like the ST170/SVT did, and it never will. its an American "shit we need SOMETHING that has some pep" answer.

honestly i don't care if the new one has the ST name. if its SVT I'd be more inclined to look at it because the front bumper would be redone for SVT fogs and that would only be a GOOD thing.
An ST has essentially the same suspension as the SVT, minus the springs. (The rear sway is 1mm smaller.) The getrag 6 speed in the SVT actually hampers it by having a really tall 1st and 2nd gear, which is why similar horespower 5 speed foci are quicker.

Having owned an SVTF and an ST at the same time for a period, my ST on SVTF springs, and with an intake, was every bit as quick as the SVTF, and handled as well. The 2.3 Dura is a better motor than the zetec based SVTF motor. My SVTF had the recaros, which are too cramped in my opinion, at 5-11 175lbs. My ST has heated leather/suede (fo-suede?) seats, Sony speakers with a sub, and basically all options the SVTF had. So how was it that bad?

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 AM   #569
JibLxA
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65903
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow SVT EAP #841

FF Reputation: 2 JibLxA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^ I think, too help his point, is that you had to get the springs and intake to feel like the SVT, while the SVT comes that way. SVT does have bigger brakes, the rarity, and the looks though. And the 6-speed is obviously not ment for a straight line, everyone knows that, it's a great auto-x and road course trans so they just had a different idea with what they wanted the SVT to do. Don't get me wrong, I love the 05-07 ST and their engines, almost got one instead of the SVT, But all I'm saying is I understand his point.

Also the Recaros IMO are amazing. Best seats I've ever sat in yet. But I'm a little smaller, 5,9 and 155 lbs, so I'm sure if I was much bigger they could start feeling cramped
'03 Screaming Yellow SVT EAP #841 Built 04/01/2003
'01 Twilight Blue Sedan (SOLD)

Hatch Nation #04
Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #570
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
You guys are missing the obvious... the SVTF just looks waaaay sexier. ;-)

...Although it's no R32. :-P

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.