HOW-TO: electricle oil pressure gauge. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Post HOW-TO: electricle oil pressure gauge.

This is a HOW-TO: on how to set-up a electrical oil pressure gauge to a 2000 ford focus se wagon with the 2.0l DOHC Zetec. I am not responsible if you mess up your own car.

Well first things first. You will need a good oil gauge, I went with glowshift, It comes with the gauge, sender unit and wiring harness and hardware to mount.

You will also need some copper tubing, A inch long tube with both ends being 1/4 male, and a T fitting with all three ends being 1/4 female, and a adapter from 1/4 to 1/8 fitting.

You will also need these tools too. Wire stripper, connectors, wire, heat gun, heat shrink tubing, and electrical tap, and if you don't have a heat gun, Use your lighter.

Now take the inch long tube and put some thread sealant on both end and screw it into the T fitting, and attach the old oil pressure sensor on too,
and it should look like this. DO NOT put the 1/4th to 1/8th adapter on yet or it will not clear the oil filter.

And then when you got this^ set-up, screwed it into the block and position it where you want the sender unit to point, then add your adapter and sender unit.

Now for wiring, you gauge should have came with a manual saying what the wires that came with the gauge are, and where some of them go.

Now we can start. I drilled a little hole near the hood latch release to get the wire through the firewall.

It came out here under the relay box.

Now once you got that through, run your sender wire along the fire wall using zip-ties to keep it out of sight and away from heat. Run the wire all the way over the the TB where you will run it down the same path as the knock sensor. The knock sensor wire's run in-between the intake manifold tubing. And make sure to keep the wire away from the TB's spring movement.

Then your ready to do the ground for the sender unit itself. I used the circle loop to the back left of the motor. Down through the same way as the sender wire. and agian make sure to keep it away from the TB's spring movement, You can see where my fingers are I zip-tied it the the original wiring for the knock sensor before it goes through the intake manifold.

And it should connect up to the sender, and use the shrink tubing here to protect it from the elements.

After that go back into the cabin and wire the sender wire you just ran, with the wiring harness that came with the gauge.

After that there is another ground wire to run on the wiring harness that came with the gauge, I wired it to the fuse box metal.

And finally the last two wires, yellow for the horn fuse since it works when the car's key is not turned, and the red wire to the brake lights, since on my 2000 wagon they only work when the key is turned.

And then your done sit back and enjoy knowing your oil pressure. And the coolest thing about Glowshift? You control what color you want.

And again I am not responsible if you mess your own car up.
Hope this helps some people to know how a electrical oil gauge hooks up.

djzx3

HN #17
D23 crew-#1

Last edited by Djzx3; 03-19-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks