Vehicle tattoos for the all-new 2012 Ford Focus - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Official Polls & Surveys

Official Polls & Surveys Please take a moment and participate in our online polls and surveys.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Ford Focus Vehicle Tattoos (Good Idea or Bad Idea?)
Good 121 26.54%
Bad 335 73.46%
Voters: 456. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Vehicle tattoos for the all-new 2012 Ford Focus

The popularity of tattoos has turned body art into a fashion statement – especially among Millennials – and Ford is taking the trend one step further by offering car buyers a quick and inexpensive way to express themselves with tattoos for the new 2012 Ford Focus.

From geometric patterns and racing stripes to whimsical imagery like splashes and swirls, customers will soon be able to choose from more than 200 unique vinyl wrap tattoos to find a design that reflects their personality at www.fordcustomgraphics.com.

“Millennials have a very personalized, artistic side to their lifestyle, and their vehicle is a very important part of that,” said KC Dallia, Focus brand manager. “With its striking front end, sleek profile, dramatic rising beltline and athletic stance, the Focus provides the perfect canvas for customization.”

Tattoo trend extends to cars
According to the Pew Research Institute, nearly four in 10 Millennials have at least one tattoo, and Gen Xers are not far behind at 32 percent.

Sheryl Connelly, Ford Global Trends and Futuring manager, says the migration to vehicle tattoos is a natural progression of the tattoo craze.

“The one-size-fits-all model isn’t really relevant to today’s consumers, and it’s not necessarily a desire to stand out from the crowd. It’s more of a desire not to be lost in the masses,” she said. “People are personalizing everything – cell phones, computers and clothing – and it’s no different with automobiles.”

Ford Custom Graphics developed for the new Focus will range in price from $120 to $470 and can be easily removed, providing younger customers with an economical way to “grow with their car,” says Connelly.

“People are holding on to their vehicles longer, and the way we identify ourselves today may not be the way we want to express ourselves tomorrow,” she said. “Customers can easily change the tattoos as their life situation and style evolves.”

Test your creativity with the 2012 Ford Focus at www.fordcustomgraphics.com
With a few clicks of the computer mouse, customers can choose the exterior color of their Focus, select the tattoos they like and then be able to see exactly how the designs will look on the car.

All of the tattoos are made with 3M Scotchprint« Personalized Vehicle Graphic Film plus a clear graphic protection layer. They are professionally installed at Ford dealerships and include a three-year/36,000-mile limited warranty.

Original Wraps Inc., a provider of on-demand custom graphics to the automotive industry, developed the tattoos and the website for Ford. According to the company’s chief executive officer Tom Stemple, the tattoos offer customers the look of custom paint at half the cost.

“Another important benefit is that the tattoos are made to order. We don’t manufacture any graphics until they are purchased,” said Stemple. “That gives us the flexibility to keep updating the designs to give customers fresh new ideas to choose from.”

Custom Graphics are currently available at www.fordcustomgraphics.com for the Ford Mustang,
F-150, Explorer and Fiesta. Because orders are processed at individual dealerships throughout the country, there is no way to track how many tattoos have been sold, but consumer response to the site has been strong with an average of 15,000 unique hits per month.

Focus graphics are expected to be online in mid-January.

2012 Ford Focus offers customers more choices at production
The all-new 2012 Ford Focus, which will arrive in dealerships early next year, will offer customers plenty of choices at production, including four trim series – S, SE, SEL and Titanium – and 11 unique wheel styles.

The vehicle also will be available in 11 exterior paint colors. Four of the choices are premium paints. Tri-coat paints that offer deeper, richer color will be available in White Platinum and Yellow Blaze, and two tinted clearcoat paints will be offered in Red Candy and Blue Candy.

Vehicle Personalization: Ford Custom Accessories make it easy and fun
The automotive aftermarket has grown into a $34 billion industry. And Ford Vehicle Personalization continues to come out with cool new products – from wheels and decklids to hood scoops, grille inserts and vehicle tattoos – to meet increasing customer demand for accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
i say yes, but not to the graphics they are offering.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yes to tattoos but Hell f'ing NO to those tattoos! That is disgusting! Looks like something from a barbie car collection.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
yeah. they tried this with the Fiesta and no one orders them!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I don't think it's a bad idea, it just isn't My cup of tea.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
focus11
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62411
What I Drive: Honda Civic

FF Reputation: 2 focus11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think it sort of degrades the excellence of the all new, next-generation Focus. It kind of cheapens the image. I could be wrong here.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
"Millenials?" Is that what they're labeling my generation now? There are nice vinyl sets, but these ones suck. "Pretty" is a good word for them, and nothing about my car should ever be "pretty." Of course, that's semantics I suppose...

I don't care much for tattoos and will never have one on my body, where few people could see it...so I doubt I'll want to have one on my car. It kind of screams, "I need attention! Look at me, with my tribal vinyl designs on my hatchback! I'm so rebellious!" Meanwhile, the driver is probably blasting Miley Cyrus and drinking a frappucino.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
JustHereFTM
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 68588
What I Drive: 2008 Focus

FF Reputation: 7 JustHereFTM Good Standing Member
how much is the floral pattern? :P
Old 12-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
To be honest I think they're tacky. They're no different than the cheesy graphics found on "special edition" domestics from the mid-'90s and early '00s. Remember these?

I don't know... I can't see myself spending several hundred to a thousand bucks, no matter how cool the design is. You'd be better off spending that same amount on convenience/technology packages instead, and improve the resale value slightly in the process.

IMO vinyl decals/wraps only look good if you're a real sponsor for racing events, or if you're driving a company car. Drawing all that attention towards an econobox (no offense, but we're not talking about a muscle/exotic car here) is just begging for vandalism.

If I had to make a serious suggestion to Ford, it would involve requesting additional performance/handling packages and an AWD trim model for the Fiesta/Focus. I'm tired of seeing Ken Block's awesome Fiesta and not being able buy anything that remotely resembles it at Ford dealerships. The ST models come close... buuuut not quite. Maybe Steeda will pick up the slack.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
WiscoGTI
Turb÷ner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Umm..yeah..no thank you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks