Replace master cylinder clutch - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
mialtin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81053
What I Drive: 2003 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 1 mialtin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs up

This looks great. How long would it take average to replace the cylinder? Do you need any special tools at all besides the mighty vac?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Notorious0ne
Focus Addict

Fan#: 70375
What I Drive: 05 Saleen Focus, 04 Saleen Focus

FF Reputation: 15 Notorious0ne Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialtin View Post
This looks great. How long would it take average to replace the cylinder? Do you need any special tools at all besides the mighty vac?
Thank you.
you would need the mighty vac if you did it by yourself you cant bleed the cylinder without another person. It took me probably about an hour or 2. It was a multi day project for me i took it apart ordered part waited installed the part and bled it. If you have any questions feel free to PM Me.

The cops are here to keep us safe.............I'm here to keep them busy!

Hatch Nation #43
Old 12-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
mialtin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81053
What I Drive: 2003 Silver LX

FF Reputation: 1 mialtin Good Standing Member
Thank you notoriousone. You are a great help. Just wondering if a mity-vac brake bleeder works for the clutch as well. I know it has the same fluid compartment. Just checking. Thank youuuuuuu
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
Notorious0ne
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialtin View Post
Thank you notoriousone. You are a great help. Just wondering if a mity-vac brake bleeder works for the clutch as well. I know it has the same fluid compartment. Just checking. Thank youuuuuuu
Yes it would work well for the clutch.

Hatch Nation #43
Old 01-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
asb81689
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82629
What I Drive: 2006 Focus Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 asb81689 Good Standing Member
Does anyone know is this set up is the same for a 2006 ZX3? I have the replacement part for it, and I'm gonna change it tomorrow, I won't lie, I'm kinda scared to do this. I'm really hoping the set up is the same as this. If anyone has any tips for me to make the job easier, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #16
Notorious0ne
Focus Addict

what type of motor do you have? if you have a 2.0 durtec or a 2.3 durtec then you should be okay

Hatch Nation #43
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by asb81689 View Post
Does anyone know is this set up is the same for a 2006 ZX3? I have the replacement part for it, and I'm gonna change it tomorrow, I won't lie, I'm kinda scared to do this. I'm really hoping the set up is the same as this. If anyone has any tips for me to make the job easier, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks everyone.
Follow the directions to bench bleed the unit before you install it. Make sure you have something to catch any leaking hydraulic fluid. Don't remove the reservoir cap until you are ready to bleed. Definitely remove the reservoir cap before bleeding, and fill to slightly above max. Rent or purchase a vacuum bleeder for bleeding. Clean up all your hydraulic fluid.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
asb81689
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82629
What I Drive: 2006 Focus Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 asb81689 Good Standing Member
Thank you guys!! I'll be starting on it in a few hours, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh, and it's a 2.0.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:17 AM   #19
halvy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84088
What I Drive: 2004 ford focus zx5 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 halvy Good Standing Member
great detail, best i have found

I am new to this forum and thanks for the excellent write up. I just have one question. I am planning doing this myself this weekend after I was quoted $400 from a local repair shop. I am confused on the bleeding process. I am looking at your picture and do I need a hose to connect while a friend pumps the clutch??? If you have time and are still watching this post as it is a few months old I would appreciate any futher explination.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #20
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halvy View Post
I am new to this forum and thanks for the excellent write up. I just have one question. I am planning doing this myself this weekend after I was quoted $400 from a local repair shop. I am confused on the bleeding process. I am looking at your picture and do I need a hose to connect while a friend pumps the clutch??? If you have time and are still watching this post as it is a few months old I would appreciate any futher explination.

Thanks
The hose will help to keep the brake fluid from just spilling all over your transmission. I use a small zip tie to keep it on the bleeder valve. Put the other end into a container. If you dont have the Mighty Vac. You will need assistance.
Once you are all done following these excellent how to pics. You fill up the brake/master cyl reservoir . I have found it much easier to bleed by doing the following. Open the bleeder, have your buddy slowly push the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it there. Close the bleeder and raise the pedal. Keeping an eye on the reservoir, dont let it get low. Do that how ever many times it takes to get a good stream of fluid. Then pump the pedal the old fashioned way. Pump, pump ,pump , hold the pedal to the floor, crack open the bleeder.Close the bleeder and raise the pedal. You will do this until no more air bubbles come out with the fluid. Keep an eye on the reservoir . If it empty`s you will have to start over, as there is now air back in the system. And lastly, before you go to drive the car, pump your brake pedal until it is good and firm. This way if you take off , you wont do the panic pump and e brake pull to stop. Just in case you got air in the brakes. They use the same reservoir...Let us know how it turns out. Or you need more help...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
clutch master cylinder