Ran a few 1/8 races tonight - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
mbell75
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79288
Location: Anaheim, CA
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3

Posts: 443
FF Reputation: 0 mbell75 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ran a few 1/8 races tonight

So tonights little experiment of a softer launch (2000-2500RPM) didnt really go so well. My 60' times sucked and so did my 1/8 times, but my trap speeds were pretty good. I was trapping 3-4mph higher than the V8s running mid 9s with low 2s in their 60'. So bottom line is, I need stickier tires and better launches. Will be working on that next week when I go back. I got 3 runs in. First was a no go because I left before the green, didnt even get a time. 2nd run was my best, it was...

60' 2.812
330 6.892
1/8 10.053
MPH 79.33

3rd run, I lost traction in 2nd and slid a bit when I gave it full throttle

60' 2.790
330 7.186
1/8 10.412
MPH 78.13

My car was #4765
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3333/57259691.jpg

Run 2
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8740/41913197.jpg

Run 3
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1184/15805932.jpg


__________________
2009 Scion Xb with Strup exhaust and way too much else to write here
mbell75 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Starman99
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fan#: 80909
Location: Suwanee, GA
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT

Posts: 30
FF Reputation: 1 Starman99 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nice times! I'm impressed
Starman99 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Bwinkelsas
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bwinkelsas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50224
Location: Apopka, FL
What I Drive: 2007, Screaming Yellow, ZX3 SES

Posts: 389
FF Reputation: 2 Bwinkelsas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
good mph!, deffinitly need to get some better tires tho like you said, that e.t. is suffering
__________________
1.706 / 7.720@91.13 / 12.381@96.84 letting off.
Stock Motor, why hate on the 2.0?
More power and new numbers to come soon...
Bwinkelsas is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
mbell75
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79288
Location: Anaheim, CA
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3

Posts: 443
FF Reputation: 0 mbell75 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks guys. Well I was trying the soft launches this time. I was only launching at 2000-2500RPM. I was staying out of boost in 1st gear and granny shifting it around 20mph. With a more aggressive launch, I should be able to get my 60' around 2.5 and get in the high 9s. I only have 150 miles on the new clutch too, so I didnt want to hammer on that as well, next weeks runs should be better. I think the 1/8 mile is too short. Its ending when my car is just starting to build up some steam. I can get to 90 in 3rd gear, so I am hardly getting halfway thru 3rd by the finish line and the car is still pulling hard. Will be nice to run the 1/4 again. Thinking about some 205/50 Dunlop Direzzas, which are some nice sticky street tires. Might get them before the next run. Other FWD guys have had alot of success with those 225/50 BFG G-Force drags, running 60' at 2 all day, but I am not sure I want to get that carried away
__________________
2009 Scion Xb with Strup exhaust and way too much else to write here
mbell75 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic
 
SMITHBOY76908's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 56301
Location: Zelenograd, Russia
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Posts: 5,273
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You DEFINITELY need stickier tires. That 60ft needs improvement alot.

My street tires are 225/45/17 Dunlop star specs and I will still boil them through the 330ft. My best 1/8 mile time on Dunlops was...

60ft: 2.11
1/8: 8.83 @ 85mph
1/4: 13.42 @ 103mph

That was slipping the clutch off the line, pull 1st to about 5k, then shift to 2nd and floor to build boost. Once it spooled, bye bye tires. Even the Dunlops couldn't hold it down. I finally switched to M/T 24.5 x 8 x 15 drag slicks and never miss a lick. 1.7-1.9 60ft all day. My best with them is...

60ft: 1.91
1/8: 8.29 @ 86mph
1/4: 12.93 @ 105mph

I got a 1.79 60ft one pass during bracket racing and went 8.13 @ 86mph in the 1/8 but let off towards the top end to keep from breaking out. I wish I hadn't now just to see the time but I would've been eliminated.

Get that clutch broken in, get some stickier tires, and work on that launch. You'll see those times get quicker. Remember that .1 off your 60ft time equals apx. .2 off your 1/8 mile time and .3 off your 1/4 mile time. The 60ft is where it's at.
__________________
Russia... is... awesome!
SMITHBOY76908 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
mbell75
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Fan#: 79288
Location: Anaheim, CA
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3

Posts: 443
FF Reputation: 0 mbell75 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
You DEFINITELY need stickier tires. That 60ft needs improvement alot.

My street tires are 225/45/17 Dunlop star specs and I will still boil them through the 330ft. My best 1/8 mile time on Dunlops was...

60ft: 2.11
1/8: 8.83 @ 85mph
1/4: 13.42 @ 103mph

That was slipping the clutch off the line, pull 1st to about 5k, then shift to 2nd and floor to build boost. Once it spooled, bye bye tires. Even the Dunlops couldn't hold it down. I finally switched to M/T 24.5 x 8 x 15 drag slicks and never miss a lick. 1.7-1.9 60ft all day. My best with them is...

60ft: 1.91
1/8: 8.29 @ 86mph
1/4: 12.93 @ 105mph

I got a 1.79 60ft one pass during bracket racing and went 8.13 @ 86mph in the 1/8 but let off towards the top end to keep from breaking out. I wish I hadn't now just to see the time but I would've been eliminated.

Get that clutch broken in, get some stickier tires, and work on that launch. You'll see those times get quicker. Remember that .1 off your 60ft time equals apx. .2 off your 1/8 mile time and .3 off your 1/4 mile time. The 60ft is where it's at.
Yea, I am just on some basic 195/60 street tires I can probably get a 2.5 60' on them with a more aggressive launch. Might get those Direzzas for the next run though. About those 60' times, there are alot of factors. If you notice, I actually got a better 60' time on my slower run. Thats because I lost traction at the top of 2nd which slowed me down. So I can get a not so great 60' time, but make it up down the road with better shifting once I get the feel for this new clutch. Just got it a few days ago.
__________________
2009 Scion Xb with Strup exhaust and way too much else to write here
mbell75 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic
 
SMITHBOY76908's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 56301
Location: Zelenograd, Russia
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Posts: 5,273
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
^With street tires, sure. Let's say that with the Dunlops you grip from the 60ft onward. A 2.5 60ft is going to yield you a much better time than a 2.8 60ft. Look at my times. 2.11 60ft = 13.42 1/4 mile. 1.91 60ft = 12.93 1/4 mile.
__________________
Russia... is... awesome!
SMITHBOY76908 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 AM   #8
underoath
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Fan#: 50487
Location: H-town, TX
What I Drive: 02 mustang GT, 08 mini cooper S

Posts: 122
FF Reputation: 1 underoath Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Yea, I am just on some basic 195/60 street tires I can probably get a 2.5 60' on them with a more aggressive launch. Might get those Direzzas for the next run though. About those 60' times, there are alot of factors. If you notice, I actually got a better 60' time on my slower run. Thats because I lost traction at the top of 2nd which slowed me down. So I can get a not so great 60' time, but make it up down the road with better shifting once I get the feel for this new clutch. Just got it a few days ago.
dont waste your time with shity dunlops.... get some 14x5.5 steelies and throw some 205/55/14 Nitto drag radials that cost 100 shipped each online, you'll hook alot better
underoath is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
SMITHBOY76908
Focus Fanatic
 
SMITHBOY76908's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 56301
Location: Zelenograd, Russia
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Posts: 5,273
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underoath View Post
dont waste your time with shity dunlops.... get some 14x5.5 steelies and throw some 205/55/14 Nitto drag radials that cost 100 shipped each online, you'll hook alot better
Focus brakes require a minimum of 15" wheel.

This is my suggestion also though just with different informantion. Find a spare set of stock Focus 15" wheels and throw some 24.5x8 slicks on them. Use a small spacer to clear the struts and drive on. The stock axles and dif are pretty strong for stock. I know, I've pushed mine beyond my expectations and they haven't given way yet (knocks on wood).
__________________
Russia... is... awesome!
SMITHBOY76908 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
NX_Focus
Focus Addict
 
NX_Focus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 13160
Location: Evansville, IN
What I Drive: 07ZX3,hayabusa& gsxr,3stangs,98rngr

Posts: 778
FF Reputation: 2 NX_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
my 03 zx5 came with some stock steel 14's. so was thinking of putting them on my 07 zx3. but not sure on tires. heck my hp is around 125 to 130 then if i add spray it would be a 75 shot. not sure f i want to run my 14's or shop for other wheels.
__________________
I spend money,
I don't have.
To buy things,
I don't need.
To impress people,
I don't know.
NX_Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.