Accelerator sticking. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
beekeeper
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79880
What I Drive: 2005 ford focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 beekeeper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Accelerator sticking.

We have a Ford Focus, 2005. There is no problem during the summer, but when winter comes the accelerator will begin sticking. When my wife leaves for work it will be fine, but down the road, 3 to 15 miles the accelerator pedal will begin to stick, bad enough to make driving scary. My guess is that it is the cold that affects it. I've had it happen to me and it is a problem. We have to press hard to make it go (slowing down is not a problem) but pressing hard it will break free and speed up too fast.

There is nothing in the way of the pedal and we have taken it to two mechanics and neither have been able to solve the problem. I had the last mechanic put in a new cable thinking there might be moisture in the old cable, it did not help.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We've had lots of people experience this problem. What you need to do is remove the air intake so you can see the butterfly valve in the TB. Now take some carburetor cleaner, or just simply alcohol, and a rag, and start cleaning. Clean all the black crud out of there. Work the throttle by hand so that you can clean the bottom side of the plate, and the top of the TB. Clean all that black stuff out of there, and it should solve the problem.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Ryan03svt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62675
What I Drive: 2003 black focus svt

FF Reputation: 2 Ryan03svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Had the same problem on my 03 svt. Just give the throttle body a good clean and your problem should go away. mine did.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
the 2005s had a problem with the factory TB...the plastic compound shrinks too much in the cold, and it causes the plate to stick. cleaning will help, but when it gets really cold, like below freezing, it will become a bigger problem.

Ford issued a TSB on this, not sure if it reached the recall level, but when i brought mine in, they swapped in a new tb right away, no cost, and no questions. the new ones had a stronger/thicker wall so they did not constrict like the originals.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
jdr00ejr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26295
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 jdr00ejr Good Standing Member
I logged in here looking for this exact problem. Can you tell me more about the TSB? If I call ford and tell them my accelerator is sticking will they know?

Sorry - I'm mechanically ignorant - but always willing to learn. Can someone point me to a picture that shows what I need to take apart and clean?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
J-Town_2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77950
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 R.I.P.-Currently 02'zx3

FF Reputation: 3 J-Town_2006ZX3 Good Standing Member
I have the same problem on my 06 zx3. Now that it's getting pretty cold in Michigan, I'm sure it'll start acting up. Nice to see a solution for it, other than having to pop the pedal down fairly hard to get it going. They must not have issued a recall for this on the 06's.

The throttle body is where your air intake connects with the intake manifold right? (rookie here). Further explanation on where or pic woudl be great!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
TSB= technical service bulletin. These are often confused with recalls- but that's not what it is. It's merely an in-house method of sharing experiences with other repair techs that might be out of the ordinary. For example, some automatic transmission shifting problems were traced by a master tech to be a ground wire that was left disconnected by the factory. Now other techs who get baffled can look up this solution if the problem is similar. It's basically the same thing as this forum is for us- except everyone is a professional- LOL.

Whether or not you can get a new TB or not, I don't know. I don't even know if you can purchase a re-designed TB.

Oh, and yes, the throttle body is what holds the throttle plate that tilts and lets air into the engine. It is between the air intake and the intake manifold. It doesn't get cold where I live, so cleaning always worked for me.

I'd like to know if there is a re-designed factory TB, what the part number is, and what the TSB number is. That would be information that would speed things along for anyone going in for this repair.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileRight location, look for the throttle cable connecting there and that`s the spot! hard to describe identifiers since much mechanical is hidden by covers, like the cover over the pulley the throttle cable moves to open the (internal) throttle plate (or butterfly valve). TB is sandwiched between intake air hose & intake manifold if that helps..... It`s there to "throttle" or "control" air flow at the last single pipe section of intake plumbing, B4 air enters the tuned intake manifold runners.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
madisonHQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81165
What I Drive: zx5

FF Reputation: 6 madisonHQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
this thread was very helpful thanks yall !!!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
PiSTOLpete717
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81212
What I Drive: 2002 Infra Red SVT FOCUS #2294

FF Reputation: 1 PiSTOLpete717 Good Standing Member
It sounds like your throttle body is full of carbon build up, clean it out and you should be okay..

Bookmarks & Social Networks