Uncomfortable Seats - 2007 Focus Hatchback - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
pyther
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79870
What I Drive: 2007 Focus Hatchback (2dr)

FF Reputation: 1 pyther Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Uncomfortable Seats - 2007 Focus Hatchback

Hello.

I got a 2007 Ford Focus, 2 door hatchback, a few weeks ago. I love the car, it drives great, but I have ONE problem.

My back starts really bothering me after about 20 minutes of driving. I have tried adjusting the height and tilt of the seat with no success. I had no problems with my 04 chevy cavalier. I think the problem is that the seat "sticks out" at the bottom so there is "a lump" so to speak. The pain is in my lower-to-middle back mainly, at my spine.

I am 6ft and about 190 pounds. I tried one of those cheap seat cushions at walmart (that is all they had) and it didn't help. I also tried a lumbar cushion from amazon, but that pushes me up way too close to the steering wheel. Also, with that said I'm not sure that helped.

I am looking for some suggestions on how to improve my comfort. Is it possible to buy a different style seat for the car? I am willing to pay up to $700 to fix this problem. I'd prefer a cheap solution, but ultimately I want to keep the car and I do about an 1 1/2 of driving 4-5 times a week.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Darthenstein
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63587
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

Points 1,534, Level 22
Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Darthenstein Good Standing Member
First off,

There should be a crank/handle on the bottom right of the seat...I know some of the Focii had them...it should help. I had that problem with my old Taurus when the lumbar was fully extended.

Good luck!

Ford: Taurus ('91, 01) Focus ('09); Mercury: Sable ('95); Dodge: Neon ('95); Trek: 1000SL ('07) Yamaha: VStar 650 ('03)
Old 10-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
pyther
Focus Rookie

Thank you, for the welcome

Is the crank that you are talking about used to adjust the height of the seat or is it a different crank?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

Points 28,116, Level 98
Points: 28,116, Level: 98 Points: 28,116, Level: 98 Points: 28,116, Level: 98
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
I dont think the 07's had that lumbar crank- you see it on SVTs and the 08+ cars I believe

After dealing with the side bolster foam ripping on my car I decided to upgrade to some Corbeau LG1's. Im your height and weigh a bit more than you but these hold me very well and are very supportive. The stock seats are shit compared to these! With sliders they will run you 900-1000. The only issue is if you have side airbags and the gel pad in the passenger seat. I havent played with resistors to cheat it into thinking theyre still hooked up. Id go to the corbeau site and find a distributor to you and see what they have on display- see what fits!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

Points 1,840, Level 25
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 8 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242989
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
pyther
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buickboy View Post
I dont think the 07's had that lumbar crank- you see it on SVTs and the 08+ cars I believe

After dealing with the side bolster foam ripping on my car I decided to upgrade to some Corbeau LG1's. Im your height and weigh a bit more than you but these hold me very well and are very supportive. The stock seats are shit compared to these! With sliders they will run you 900-1000. The only issue is if you have side airbags and the gel pad in the passenger seat. I havent played with resistors to cheat it into thinking theyre still hooked up. Id go to the corbeau site and find a distributor to you and see what they have on display- see what fits!
Hmm thanks for the information. If you don't mind I'd like to ask you a few questions.

Bear in mind I'm pretty much a car noob (I know the basics).

<ignore>Are car seats interchangeable? Where would I get the sliders? Do they come with the seat? I don't see anything that mentions what cars the seats are compatible with.</ignore>

Also, are there other dealers that sell car seats? If so, who might they be. The nearest Corbeau dealer is 2 hours away from me, so looking at other dealers/manufacturers would be a plus.

Also, where you able to get all the cables hooked up (I'm naive here). I guess there are cables that hook up to the seat for air bags and what not. Also did you get the regular seats or the wide seats?

Edit: Found this: http://www.corbeau.com/corbeau/seat_brackets/ so I answered my question about the seats being interchangeable and the sliders.

Last edited by pyther; 10-26-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Found new info
Old 10-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
pyther
Focus Rookie

Also Ive been told that Sport Seats aren't very comfortable. Any opinions?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Fattie
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46016
What I Drive: 6 Duratec Focus

Points 8,431, Level 61
Points: 8,431, Level: 61 Points: 8,431, Level: 61 Points: 8,431, Level: 61
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Fattie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
go with seats from an 08+ thats what im getting next.

3 04 zx4's
2 05 zx3's
1 03 zx3
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
pyther
Focus Rookie

Do you know if they the seats would fit in an 07? Also, does anyone know if they make 07 seats without the lumbar support?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,745, Level 71
Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I just want to maybe go to a salvage yard and find one from another ford that bolts right in. Like a mustang, or a taurus or somthing else.

The problem is hight. I dont want it to raise me up so my head rubs the roof.

The problem i have is with the bottom cross bar on the bottom of the back of the seat. If you push on the seat down low you can feel a really hard support bar that runs along the bottom of the back. thats the part thats killing me.

I thought if i cant find another seat from a different car soon ide try and cut some foam from another chair and line the whole back part then put a seat cover over everything.

The way the seat is tilted you body wants to slide back into that bar, maybe lifting the back up so it didnt have that tilt would keep you from sliding back into it.

I also notice what i like best about the seat is having it lowered all the way down with that crank, this leaves a big gap between the bench and the back.

As common as a seat is how can they ruin this part of a car? you would think after years and years of building cars they would atleast know how to build a friggin comfortable seat.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.