Travis Pastrama full drive - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Rafal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73222
What I Drive: 2005 Beige ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Rafal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
wow Im so glad I posted that vid. Im learning so much thank you guys ;)

SEDAN REVOLUTION-58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
You also have to remember that on a mountain road you have a lot of decreasing radius turns and curves of different radii (connected without transitions) which makes it hard to pick the apex. The mountain dictates the road alignment and the driver has to adapt. You could also hear the co-driver giving instruction not to cut certain corners due to exposure or obstructions (Travis got lucky when he ignored one instruction). This means the middle of the road is sometimes the safest place to be.
Got ya. That does make sense. I would like to see the WRC guys take on the same mountains and see what their lines are.
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Wow, that looks like so much fun! Scary, but fun.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
Got ya. That does make sense. I would like to see the WRC guys take on the same mountains and see what their lines are.

Depends on whether pre-runs are allowed or not. What a lot of people don't realize is that WRC teams get to pre-run all stages for several days before the event. The co-driver writes his own pace notes during the pre-run so he'll be able to tell the driver specific conditions such as whether the turn has a decreasing radius, when he can or can't cut a corner, or how fast to take a yump (jump in rally lingo). In the U.S. pre running is not allowed. Each team is given (actually they pay for) a set of pace notes prepared by RallyAmerica or the organizer. Everybody then works from the same info and while in most cases it's very accurate it will not include the personalized info a co-driver would prepare for his particular driver.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
redZX300
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39044
What I Drive: 2000 red zx3

FF Reputation: 2 redZX300 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i did that climb in like 26 mins. lol
Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Tyler T
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42066
What I Drive: two '02 SVT's

FF Reputation: 2 Tyler T Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Depends on whether pre-runs are allowed or not. What a lot of people don't realize is that WRC teams get to pre-run all stages for several days before the event. The co-driver writes his own pace notes during the pre-run so he'll be able to tell the driver specific conditions such as whether the turn has a decreasing radius, when he can or can't cut a corner, or how fast to take a yump (jump in rally lingo). In the U.S. pre running is not allowed. Each team is given (actually they pay for) a set of pace notes prepared by RallyAmerica or the organizer. Everybody then works from the same info and while in most cases it's very accurate it will not include the personalized info a co-driver would prepare for his particular driver.
That's very true. Except that Rally America usually gives us a one or two pass recce (pre-run) for regional events to make our own adjustments to their supplied notes. I don't know if it's different for national events. It would be a safety hazard if everyone went out driving 100% on jemba notes or notes that someone else made without having double checked the notes for themselves.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler T View Post
That's very true. Except that Rally America usually gives us a one or two pass recce (pre-run) for regional events to make our own adjustments to their supplied notes. I don't know if it's different for national events. It would be a safety hazard if everyone went out driving 100% on jemba notes or notes that someone else made without having double checked the notes for themselves.

You guys are a bunch of sissy's nowadays (smiley here). Back in my day we drove 100% on notes called tulip diagrams be it a national or regional event. They were pictorial depictions of the route (arrows drawn in a box with the mileage of the tulip shown from the stage start in an adjacent box). Only major turns were shown (direction at an intersection, 90 degree or more turns etc. but never the equivalent of a 4, 5, or 6 turn today). Exposures (hazards) were shown with the mileage and one, two, or three exclamation marks. Sometimes if they were kind they'd say.... !!! ON RIGHT..... as an example. That usually meant something like a cliff on the right at a particular mileage. Sometimes they'd call out a potential yump as well. The notes were given to the co-driver about an hour or two before the event start. About enough time for him/her to highlite the exposures. Co-drivers could not write any other notes in the route book!

Co-drivers had to coordinate between the tulip/picture and the mileage and often gave the driver a mileage countdown to the instructions. You just hoped that your odo and the notes were in sync. The computer/odo was a critical tool and there was usually a special stage and/or transit just for odo checks. Pre-running a special stage was an absolute no no. In fact SCCA rules said being caught on a stage road within six months of an event could result in disqualification.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #18
Tyler T
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42066
What I Drive: two '02 SVT's

FF Reputation: 2 Tyler T Good Standing Member
If by "You guys are a bunch of sissy's nowadays." you mean "You guys are faster nowadays." then yes, you're right. I know all about the old route books with tulip diagrams. They're still used. But proper pace notes used in addition to the route book allow drivers to go much faster while being much safer because the detail allows them to know what is coming up over crests and around blind corners. In the days before pace notes, if the co-driver was just warning of cautions and intersections from the route book, then they were acting as little more than ballast. And yes trip meters are still a valuable tool and yes there is still a short route provided to check your trip meter and adjust for different tire sizes etc. Thanks very much for the information.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->