How-To: 2008 - 2011 Halo Projectors Light Installation - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #111
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70099
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony ATX SES w/ Leather & Sun

Points 1,719, Level 24
Points: 1,719, Level: 24 Points: 1,719, Level: 24 Points: 1,719, Level: 24
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 andrewsfm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem solved! Sorta...

I bought some new bulbs from eBay a few weeks ago, and installed them, but they made no real difference. The pattern on the wall was a LITTLE better, but still a mess.

When I had the projectors open to install the new bulbs, I noticed 2 screws right beside the opening for the bulbs. (Just noticed that the original poster's set had 3 screws not 2?!?) From the playing around I did earlier, I noticed that the cutoff looked best when the bulb wasn't fully pushed all the way in. I undid the two screws and discovered that it was just a mounting plate for the bulb socket. I put in a couple of metal bolts as spacers to space the plate (and bulb) further back in the projector, and BINGO.

Have a look...

DEI 2-way Alarm & Start / DDM Ballasts + CAP 6000k 55w HIDs in Eagle Eyes Projectors / 6000k 55w HID Fogs / All INT+EXT LEDs+7W LED Reverse / K&N Air Filter / Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires / 35%/20% Tint / Black Grille / Maxxsonics MX-1 + 2500W Stereo
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #112
Pioneer74
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62931
What I Drive: 2000 SE MTX: 2009 SES MTX

FF Reputation: 7 Pioneer74 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfm View Post
Problem solved! Sorta...
What do they look like closer to a wall like your original picture? Still a clean cuttoff?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #113
dadsWagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54041
What I Drive: 2008 black SE coupe

FF Reputation: 1 dadsWagon Good Standing Member
good job! glad to see they finally worked
Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #114
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,719, Level 24
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Here's the closeup before and after shot.

The before shot was taken on my digital camera and with the old 5000k bulbs, and the after shot was taken on my cell phone with the new 6000k bulbs and after the mod.

I think some fine tuning may be done in the future to see if I can fix up how evenly the beam is spread.

Also got confirmation from the distributor, that the 3 screw version was an old version, and the 2 screw version is now new stock.
Beware of the trouble you'll have just like me with the new 2 screw version!

DEI 2-way Alarm & Start / DDM Ballasts + CAP 6000k 55w HIDs in Eagle Eyes Projectors / 6000k 55w HID Fogs / All INT+EXT LEDs+7W LED Reverse / K&N Air Filter / Kumho Ecsta 4X Tires / 35%/20% Tint / Black Grille / Maxxsonics MX-1 + 2500W Stereo
Old 10-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #115
LTL0540
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66631
What I Drive: '08 Vista Blue SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 5 LTL0540 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfm View Post
Here's the closeup before and after shot.

The before shot was taken on my digital camera and with the old 5000k bulbs, and the after shot was taken on my cell phone with the new 6000k bulbs and after the mod.

I think some fine tuning may be done in the future to see if I can fix up how evenly the beam is spread.

Also got confirmation from the distributor, that the 3 screw version was an old version, and the 2 screw version is now new stock.
Beware of the trouble you'll have just like me with the new 2 screw version!
Definitely looks a lot better. How many spacers did you use? I know the HID bulbs are a bit longer than the halogens, so maybe spacing it out just a bit will fix the beam spread. Mine have a good few dim-spots that are a bit more noticeable driving on roads with no street lights .
I"ll have to give this a try soon.

edit: I just noticed also you're using 55W bulbs in your projectors.
how are those, brightness/temperature wise? i wouldnt mind some brighter headlights :)
Old 10-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #116
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,719, Level 24
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL0540 View Post
Definitely looks a lot better. How many spacers did you use? I know the HID bulbs are a bit longer than the halogens, so maybe spacing it out just a bit will fix the beam spread. Mine have a good few dim-spots that are a bit more noticeable driving on roads with no street lights .
I"ll have to give this a try soon.

edit: I just noticed also you're using 55W bulbs in your projectors.
how are those, brightness/temperature wise? i wouldnt mind some brighter headlights :)
I used nuts that were bigger than the screws as spacers. Bigger so the threads didn't interact. Maybe 2-3mm thick?

If you have the projectors with only two screws beside the hole for the bulb, you definitely need to do this. If you have the 3 screw version, I don't know if this will make any difference but you can give it a shot and see what happens. Maybe use standard washers, and stack them up so you can try various gap heights. I'm gonna try this some time in the future and see if I can tweak the beams.

HID bulbs themselves are longer, but if you hold a H9 halogen and H9 HID bulb level with their bases, you'll see that the gap in the HID is in the exact same spot as the filament on the halogen.

As for 55W HIDs, they are bright as hell. You wouldn't want me behind you dropping the glare shield and flashing my highs unless you've got some DARK tint...

If by temperature you mean color, I'd say get 6000k. My 5000k weren't impressive. They seemed almost with a tinge of pink in the white. But HID colors vary SO much from brand to brand. The 5000k were from DDM surprisingly. My new ones are from an eBay seller who advertised TRUE 55W HIDs and not overdriven 35W bulbs, claiming that the xenon gas chamber on their bulbs was larger. After seeing them when I got them, they really are larger enough to notice.

If you're talking about thermal temperature, then think of this...
The projectors were designed for H9 bulbs, which are 65W.
55W HIDs use 10W less, and not all of the power is dissipated as heat in the bulb like a halogen filament would, cause there's a ballast which is putting off heat during the voltage conversion process.

I just received my IR thermometer from eBay the other day, so I can take a temp reading if you're looking for exact numbers, but I have no halogens to compare them against.

Come out to the focuscanada.net meet if you wanna see them.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #117
rhgop08
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59315
What I Drive: Black Number 1

Points 190, Level 3
Points: 190, Level: 3 Points: 190, Level: 3 Points: 190, Level: 3
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 rhgop08 Good Standing Member
Exclamation Help!!!!

While installing these my halos and leds along with all the turn signals front and rear are blinking like the hazards are on. also my hids do not work on low but do on high any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #118
andrewsfm
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,719, Level 24
Level Up 19% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The only thing you can do wrong with these headlights is plug the parking light connector in the wrong way.

Disconnect them both, and then plug the first one in, and then when it's working right, then move on to the second headlight. Don't connect both at once until you have solved the problem with just one connected.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #119
Ft_Knox_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54188
What I Drive: 2009 Sterling Gray SE(RIP 01 SPI)

FF Reputation: 1 Ft_Knox_Focus Good Standing Member
Thanks to all of you guys on this thread, I have spent the money I started saving for a new firearm on these headlights and a black grille(which I had before but it got cracked in a hit and run--stupid non driving JMU students haha) I will post some pics when I get them(because obviously I'm going to stop everything I was doing to install them haha). You guys rock!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #120
2011 SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 80951
What I Drive: 2011 SE

FF Reputation: 8 2011 SE Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So my set of these arrives on Tuesday, and I'm leaving work early to see if I can install them before my apartment manager finds me. So excited! I've already removed the grill and headlight assemblies before, so it's just a matter of getting the LEDs and halos plugged in correctly (and getting that spring clamp at the bottom locked in).

The question I now have is in regards to HIDs for these projectors. I checked out the ones at ddmtuning, and was thinking of picking up this H9 35W 5000K kit to replace the halogens that come with the new lights. However, I'm not sure if I need a HID harness. I already read that I won't need the error code eliminator or adapter cables, but that harness is what's confusing me. Can anyone tell me if I need the harness (I'm guessing no)?

I also wanted to verify whether or not I need to buy some sort of holding bracket for the ballasts, as I'm not sure how or where the heck I'm going to mount those bad boys.

If anyone else has recommendations for other easy install HIDs (35w is what I'm looking for), I'd also consider those.

Edit: The DDM Tuning installation guide for these HIDs recommends mounting using their provided double-sided tape. I also read on FJ that people have been mounting their ballasts underneath the headlight assembly. I think I'll use the tape and drill some holes in the plastic headlight "shelf" so that I can also zip-tie the ballast on there. I'd hate to have the tape give out and I lose my headlights.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.