Grinding Noise when accelerating - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 15299
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Wine Cooled Eng.

FF Reputation: 54 Blurvfocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^Yeah- what he said. Just lean on the motor when its idling, if any sound changes, the passenger side mount is kaput.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
bluezx3rs
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66873
What I Drive: 2004 sonic blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 bluezx3rs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i have a 2004 zx3 with just over 100k i had the same grinding noise and i replaced the cv joints on both sides ($210 on ebay for both sides) and it cleared the grinding right up the teeth and the knuckle on the cv joints were worn out... gave the car a new drive feel like i just bought it new off the lot everyhting tightend up... shifts acceleration responce... it really fixed alot
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15867
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 InfraredZTW Good Standing Member
Dudes, HELP!
My ZTW makes a horrible grinding noise only when turning right and only in the morning, it goes away completely (or so i hear) after 10-15 minutes of driving (not idling) and it seems to be noisier when accelerating in a right turn than when coasting in a right turn.
When i make left turns it's like new.
(maybe unrelated) I have replaced the tires about 6 months ago and (it seems) that they were unable to balance them (they actually showed me that it passes the roadforce balancer test so it was fine from their point of view) but when going over 95km/h my seats shake and my steering wheel moves left and right slightly but it seems more up and down also. Soon after that i remember making a quick 3 point turn and i heard a knock, not immediately but few days after i got the "right turn grind" problem.

help-p-puh
Old 10-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
could be a CV joint going out. need a better description of the sound in question and specifically where its coming from and need to know any and all situations that make it happen. can you do it at a stop when turning the wheel from lock to lock, can you get the front tires off the ground and spin the wheels while someone turns the wheel and make it happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

The passenger side motor mount is a possibility. If the fliud leaks out, the mount will still hold the engine securely, but it seems to pass thru every engine and drive line vibration- and there are many. You think you're driving a completely clapped-out NYC taxi.

It's easy to check- let the engine idle and listen carefully. Then grab the motor at the passenger side top and pull or push on the motor front, back, and down. If you hear any change in the sound (and listen carefully, it might be subtle), probably that mount is bad.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #16
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

1) definitely right sided noise (passenger)
2) very noticeable when car was not used for a while (overnight)
3) noisy even in slight acceleration in RIGHT turns
4) NEW info: sounds like grinding but not constant, i could define it like a slipping gear (rrr...rrrrrr..r...rrrrrrr..rr..rrrr) noise
5) imagine a road that winds up and down slightly, when the suspension goes to the lower point, i hear the same noise even when NOT making a right turn or even when i'm NOT accelerating.
6) when accelerating on a perfect straight road, it still sounds like a grinding slipping gear noise (only "in the morning") that seems to catch randomly.
7)there is some tie rod noise present at low speed on uneven roads..
8)noise SEEMS NOT to be present in reverse with the wheels pointed to the right (did not try the other way yet )
9) at highway speed i have up and down vibration of the car (annoying) and steering wheel shake (similar to wheel imbalance) -- this started to be much more visible after getting new tires (NEXEN CP641 http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires-6/CP641 )
10) i feel like this problem has a stupidly simple solution but i'm broke now so i'm avoiding the huge suspension troubleshooting costs. help.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Blurvfocus
Focus Fanatic

Did you check the passenger motor mount as I suggested? Everything you've listed above is consistant with that except the steering wheel shake. Since that got worse with new tires it may in fact be due to the new tires.

It takes 30 seconds to check it and costs nothing- there's a good chance that's all it is.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
alexmensen
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79318
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 alexmensen Good Standing Member
Hey Guys I solved it

I had this exact problem with the right side grinding.... We changed the CV joint with no luck and then it dawned on us that we could have atleast checked the motor mount!!!

When we did we found this..... Change your motor mount and the noise will go away.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #19
InfraredZTW
Focus Enthusiast

1) so what exactly shoud i do to confirm that it's the motor mount?
2) is this a DIY project ?
3) what are the benefits/counterbenefits of after-market mounts
4) is it a good idea to replace all motor mounts at the same time? (easier, cheaper labor?)
5) an @$$#013 keyed my car tonight in a parkade (all-around with 2 keys!) i am furious, my deductible is upwards of $500 i think, it seems to be a trend around here (in march this year in a cinema parking lot they did 300 cars in 2 hours), kids nowadays need a hobby and some role-models

Last edited by InfraredZTW; 10-15-2010 at 03:35 AM. Reason: furious
Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
@ OP: I've got the same sound. It only happens when accelerating between 1500 and 3500 RPM's and I'm pretty sure it's just heat shield rattle. I'm sure that's probably your problem as well.

I asked about it a while back and that was the general consensus. It's never caused any mechanical problems so screw it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->