AEM wideband to xcal3 question - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #51
FocusRacingAustrali
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45865
What I Drive: 2003 ZX4 & 2004 ZX5

FF Reputation: 6 FocusRacingAustrali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
would anyone be interested in making 1 of these for me please????
I also want a cable made for my dash scan as well

PM with your paypal

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #52
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
No need for paying money to have someone make this for ya. These are easy instructions you could do it yourself.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 09-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #53
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
yeah it's really easy to do. I made mine so I can use either channel 1 or 2.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #54
FocusRacingAustrali
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJohn364 View Post
No need for paying money to have someone make this for ya. These are easy instructions you could do it yourself.
Can't I just wire the a/f gauge behind the OBD port????

I don't have the gear to make this.
I need a cable for my dash scan so that the dach scan reads the a/f gauge all the time but this need to be hock up to the xcal so that I can do datalogging for Tom.

Where do I buy the cable for my dash scan????

Willing for someone to make me both cable, I can't send Tom my datelog without so PLEASE HELP

PM with your paypal.

Rob
Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 PM   #55
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRacingAustrali View Post
Can't I just wire the a/f gauge behind the OBD port????
Sorry, the OBDII port doesn't have any provision for monitoring AF ratios from a third party AF sensor.

Quote:
I don't have the gear to make this.
I need a cable for my dash scan so that the dach scan reads the a/f gauge all the time but this need to be hock up to the xcal so that I can do datalogging for Tom.
Where do I buy the cable for my dash scan????
The cable to plug into the back of your gauge for constant monitoring of the AF ratio should have come with the kit. It goes from the gauge to the O2 sensor in the exhaust. You can't fabricate it easily.
The wideband AF cable detailed here is purely for taking the analog output from the "live" gauge and sending it to an external monitoring device, such as the SCT Xcal 3.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #56
FocusRacingAustrali
Focus Addict

everything is on the car and ready to go. I dont want the a/f gauge plug into the xcal all, the dash scan does the same thing. Tom can tune it without it
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 10-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #57
Rafal
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73222
What I Drive: 2005 Beige ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Rafal Good Standing Member
BC_ZX3 one more time thank you for the instructions it was just plug and play thanks to them. Got my dataloging done today send email to Tom and Im good to go :)

SEDAN REVOLUTION-58
Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #58
FocusRacingAustrali
Focus Addict

Got the firewire cable done, hock it up to a/f gaue and work fine at 1st.

starts off at 14.5 goes up and go down and goes all the way up to 17.9 then goes - - -

The problem I have is what 12v power and ground do you go off????

the a/f gauge was still working even when the key isn't turn over.

Only why I found to make this work is to go through the lights, so by turning my headlights on and off so that it doesn't flaten my battarie.

Have to take it to auto electrician to make this work... more info and pic needs to be added on here so that people can finish the job off...
Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #59
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
starts off at 14.5 goes up and go down and goes all the way up to 17.9 then goes - - -
- - - = End of gauge maximum displayable range.

Quote:
The problem I have is what 12v power and ground do you go off????
Ground on the bare metal exposed fuse box housing in the passenger compartment. In other words, crimp/solder a ring or split ring electrical connector on the black wire end and ground it directly to the chassis by drilling a pilot hole and using a self tapping screw.
The fuse box housing is convenient; any exposed metal surface on the car chassis will do.

Connect the red wire to a switched power source. A switched power source is one which is dead with the ignition off. ex. wipers. Pick any electrical accessory that doesn't work when the car is turned off. If you use the fuse panel as a power source, you have your pick. (If you want to set it up crudely for testing purposes, you can cram the exposed red wire end into a fuse socket together with the "regular" fuse. Mind any exposed bare wires and put an inline fuse in the red wire to protect against shorts.)

Last edited by BC_ZX3; 10-20-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Correction on wire colour.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #60
94guy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81569
What I Drive: 2010 camaro

FF Reputation: 1 94guy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i hooked everything up like you stated. the problem i'm having is all my PIDS read real time data except the a/f? it looks like when i start the log it gets the intial a/f and don't move?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
I just finished doing this and had the same questions. Hope this helps.

Purchase a firewire cable available at most computer stores. Both ends should be identical.

Cut off one end near the connector and strip away and expose the inner wires. There will be six.

Here's the part that gives the most difficulty. Each coloured wire corresponds to a small brass pin in the other connector end. We need to determine which pin position corresponds to each wire colour. There are a couple of different colour schemes used depending on who makes the cable.

Make yourself a diagram.

Strip each wire end and then get out the handy multimeter and map each pin to its colour like so.

The result is something like that shown below. We can pick either of the two colours - in this case, red or yellow - that correspond to the firewire pins the SCT scanner uses for analog inputs. Red is Channel 2; yellow is Channel 1. We only need a single channel.

I chose red which corresponds with analog input Channel 2. Trim the other wires.

Crimp a connector on it and tape it up. You can solder it if you want; just make sure it's secure.

Now connect it to your AEM gauge harness. Use the white wire (to which I've already crimped a female connector).

Connect the rest of your wiring as shown here to power the AFR gauge. The interior fusebox is your best 12V power source and the unpainted metal fusebox housing can act as your ground. Put proper connectors on the exposed wire ends. You probably want a fusible link on the 12V power source.

Fit the unmodified Firewire cable end of your butchered Firewire cable into SCT scanner (at the top), the large SCT scanner cable end into the OBD II port of the car and a USB cable from the SCT scanner to your notebook computer, if you're using one to datalog.

When preparing to data log, go to "Data Logging" then "Set Up" in the SCT scanner menu and configure scanner analog inputs, when prompted i.e. "Configure Analog Inputs? Y/N" will appear on the screen. Select Channel 2 (or 1 depending on the wire you chose) and specify "Wideband" and then "AEM" from the scrollable list presented. This will apply a formula to the raw voltage generated by the sensor located in the exhaust stream and convert it into a more recognizable AFR ratio - the same as the in dash gauge will display - in the resulting logs.

You can datalog to the scanner itself or to the notebook using the Livelink software package.

When you've finished with the SCT data logging, simply disconnect the white analog input wire and cap it. Tie it up near the OBDII port out of sight until it's needed. Store your Firewire cable in a safe place ready for future use.

This set up worked for me without problem. Let me know if I've made any errors and I'll fix 'em.

Bookmarks & Social Networks