help my brake pedal feels loose..... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
afx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59294
What I Drive: 01 blk SE

FF Reputation: 1 afx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
help my brake pedal feels loose.....

I haven't yet check it out but i want to get an idea on what to look for when i do. ok i will try to describe as best as posible. when i first begin to drive, brakes feel firm and car brakes fine. but when i go on to a drive way or a lot of bumps or even when i make sharp turns, brake pedal gets loose. but if i pump it a couple times it goes back to normal. now my car does need an alignment, and ball joints. does that affect the brakes? also my car is low, really low does that affect brakes? i drive a 2001 Se.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,538, Level 98
Points: 27,538, Level: 98 Points: 27,538, Level: 98 Points: 27,538, Level: 98
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
First, replace the brake master cylinder cap and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then you might need to vacuum bleed the brake lines. I don't suggest the old fashioned pedal pumping bleeding procedure because renting or purchasing a vacuum bleeder saves time and frustration. Miti-Vac bleeder kits are typically right around $20 for the plastic body, and $50 for the metal body. I use plastic for brakes. Read the directions, and leave the cap off while bleeding.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,838, Level 71
Points: 11,838, Level: 71 Points: 11,838, Level: 71 Points: 11,838, Level: 71
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF MobileThere are some other possibilities as well. loose wheel bearings, sticking caliper pins or rotor that isn`t running true all can push the piston back in the caliper while rolling, so you have to pump brakes B4 normal pedal. If brakes feel smooth I`d lean towards the wheel bearing as something to check first.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
The obvious first thing to check would be the fluid level. Very low brake fluid level could allow air into the circuit on turns and over bumps which would self bleed out with pumping of the pedal.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
afx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59294
What I Drive: 01 blk SE

FF Reputation: 1 afx Good Standing Member
Ok i checked the fluid lvl and it was a little low but not enough to cause this I think. I also checked the brake master cylinder cap and it looks fine. Next I'm going to check rotors, calipers, lines, and berings.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78065
What I Drive: 02 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 SanduskySerpents Good Standing Member
If air got sucked into the system that would do it. Fluids don't compress so when.air is introduced into a brake system it will move through
Posted via FF Mobile the system and compress when you hit the brakes giving it a loose feeling
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,838, Level 71
Points: 11,838, Level: 71 Points: 11,838, Level: 71 Points: 11,838, Level: 71
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Gotta re-emphasize my first post, the OP`s symptoms indicate a mechanical issue of pistons being pushed back while rolling, not a fluid or bleeding issue. Solid pedal at normal height, then low pedal that returns to normal height when pumped after driving... No pulsation from rotor issues mentioned, so bearings are the most likely. Sticky caliper not "floating" on it`s pins would cause a smaller version of the issue... All guesses based on no mention of recent brake work, so no installation issues....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
brake pedal , brakes , loose , problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.