How To: EASILY remove Nite Shades - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
..:: sleestak ::..
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: 04 Forester XTi

FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
How To: EASILY remove Nite Shades

So, I ended up Nite Shading my tails and they turned out a bit too dark for my liking. I had applied a few layers of clear over them as well, so I am dealing with multiple layers here. After going over, under, and around the intarwebs, I had decided the first route to take was to buy some plastic safe graffiti remover.

I bought Goof Off (not Goo Gone) and Motsenbocker's Lift Off - They definitely make the clear turn gooey, but it still seemed like too much of a chore. Mind you, I was impatient - so I only spent about 5 minutes with the sprays, lol. But I decided it would be more hassle than I cared for and I REFUSED TO SAND!!

So then .... I grabbed a new rag and a good ol' fashioned can of lawn mower gas. I laid the tail light down and poured the gas over an area and then on the rag and just laid into it a bit ... rubbing with a bit of pressure, nothing ridiculous, and it just came right off. I had the tail light back to it's original state, clear lense, not melted - in a matter of minutes. I'll be damned.

So there you have it. Screw buying anything.

DO NOT USE: Goof Off, Laquer thinner, graffiti remover, oven cleaner, alcohol (accept maybe at the end to do a final clean and remove residue), sand paper << that's just dumb.

DO USE: Gas and a rag.

Stay tuned for pics and/or video. Still have another light to strip.

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues

Last edited by ..:: sleestak ::..; 09-16-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks