ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #81
gkdavis
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76904
What I Drive: 2000 silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gkdavis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sheared teeth on timing belt

Is the ZETEC an intereference engine? I have one that sheared the teeth on the belt leaving the car dead. Wondering if there will likely be valve or piston damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #82
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Homegrown alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaman View Post
Sorry for the long post but I think I may have messed up. I needed to replace my timing belt so I tore her down got off the harmonic balancer then put some green paint on the belt and the crank. Some blue paint on the belt and exhaust cam. then some Orange paint on the intake cam and belt. REmoved the belt counted the ribs between old belt and marked new belt with paint on same ribs. i.e from green 60 ribs to blue paint then from there 15 ribs to orange. re installed belt aligning paint marks perfectly. set tensioner. now when I rotate crank the paint marks never align again unless i rotate it back. I.e rotate crank ten times CW then back ten times CCW paint will line up no prob. am I good to go? car ran fine before I tore her down. Just some PM. I also noticed the tensioner moves off of its alignment markings when turning the engine over. is this normal. Its midnight and I am freaking out. HELP

ETA the car is still in pcs. now should i stop and get the stuff to put it at tdc? my new belt is on and my paint is still aligned.
This is why doing it your own way isn't recommended, it's hard to be sure it's good enough to work - and you KNOW it won't be "perfect".

The crank turns twice for every turn of the cams, so the timing marks (if there were any) would only line up on every second revolution.

"normal" timing marks line up to a static reference point when #1 cyl. is at TDC of the compression stroke - valves closed, piston at top dead center. This can only be seen with the valve cover off and the plugs out at a minimum.

Without your marks lining up to a reference point you are really "shooting in the dark" - even though with the care you used in your personal procedure you probably managed to get the new belt in the same position as the old one, so it SHOULD at least run...

Confirming this by pulling the cam cover and checking for proper alignment at TDC #1 is the minimum you should do for peace of mind before firing it up again, and using the "official" tools or their equivalent to set it exactly is really what SHOULD be done...

Your call, I'd do the minimum check as described above to make sure it's "good enough" and you're not going to cause more problems by firing it up first....
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #83
gkdavis
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76904
What I Drive: 2000 silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gkdavis Good Standing Member
You're probably OK

Quote:
Sorry for the long post but I think I may have messed up. I needed to replace my timing belt so I tore her down got off the harmonic balancer then put some green paint on the belt and the crank. Some blue paint on the belt and exhaust cam. then some Orange paint on the intake cam and belt. REmoved the belt counted the ribs between old belt and marked new belt with paint on same ribs. i.e from green 60 ribs to blue paint then from there 15 ribs to orange. re installed belt aligning paint marks perfectly. set tensioner. now when I rotate crank the paint marks never align again unless i rotate it back. I.e rotate crank ten times CW then back ten times CCW paint will line up no prob. am I good to go? car ran fine before I tore her down. Just some PM. I also noticed the tensioner moves off of its alignment markings when turning the engine over. is this normal. Its midnight and I am freaking out. HELP

ETA the car is still in pcs. now should i stop and get the stuff to put it at tdc? my new belt is on and my paint is still aligned.
The reason the marks don't continue to line up after rotation is that the number of teeth in the belt are odd and the number of teeth on the pulleys is even. 40 on each cam and 20 on the crank with 129 teeth on the belt. This is intentional by design so that each revolution of the belt around the pulley set touches in a new position thus minimizing the wear that could be caused always laying on the same teeth. This is common practice in gear train design as well. It all comes down to mathmatics and the least common multiple of the teeth numbers. To put it short it would take several thousand revolutions before your marks would all line up again. Or a few minutes at idle.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #84
sailor
"Elder"

^^^ Yup, your pulleys should line up the same every second rotation - but the belt won't.

Popping the valve cover to double check that all looks good at TDC #1 is easy enough to do, well worth the peace of mind it'll give you....
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #85
indianaman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58344
What I Drive: 2002 silver zts

FF Reputation: 1 indianaman Good Standing Member
thanks guys

Thanks for the input. I did take off the valve cover and removed spark plugs put her up on TDC and everything was spot on. Rotated engine back towards my paint marks and they still lined up perfectly. Thanks for the replies. She is back up and running now I am changing wheel bearings and hubs on the front.

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #86
sailor
"Elder"

Figured you'd be OK, but it was the proverbial "better safe than sorry" since you were worried about it.
Glad all is fine.... Luck with the rest of the work, nice free bolts and all...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #87
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Quote:

You don't really need to do all that. Remove the plugs, insert the timing tool into the front of the block, turn engine clockwise until it hits the tool and insert the cam tool into the ends of the cams. Put the timing belt on with the tensioner correctly installed and you're done.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #88
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
You don't really need to do all that. Remove the plugs, insert the timing tool into the front of the block, turn engine clockwise until it hits the tool and insert the cam tool into the ends of the cams. Put the timing belt on with the tensioner correctly installed and you're done.
^^X2......Changed t-bets on 3 different Zetecs............buy the tools. Do it right.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #89
coldbear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78292
What I Drive: 2001 Burgandy ZXT

FF Reputation: 1 coldbear Good Standing Member
A very thoughtfull write up IHC_Focus. You have saved me a lot of work by explaining your trials of work. I'm going down to my NAPA dealer Tues. to order my kit. Once again...Thanks.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #90
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Take your time, bag parts, take pics, I even do a journal if i think it will take longer than 2 days, old age is setting in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks