Transmission Noise - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
pwwalnuts
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26974
What I Drive: 05 Copper ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 pwwalnuts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Noise

Lately my 05 ZX3 has developed a "whirling" noise that is coming from the transmission. While driving if I shift the transmission into neutral the noise goes away. Only 67,000 miles on the vehicle and I don't think the transmission should be failing .... yet! Thought about changing the gear oil as a first option, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had a similar noise, but it turned out to be just brakes. Why it didn't make that noise on deceleration, I don't know, I guess the pads just weren't rubbing right.

IDK about changing the fluid, but you should at least check the fluid level to be sure that is correct. You might have a leak, and it might also be a differential noise instead of transmission noise. It could also be that driveshaft carrier bearing because it might make a sound when under a load, and not make it when it's not under a load.

As far as transmissions go- there's no guarantee that it will last X miles. The good thing for you is that I know 05 model year vehicles came with a factory transferrable 5yr/100k power train warranty. You should be able to have a faulty transmission repaired if that is what is causing the sound. I'd call and talk to a dealer service center before taking it in though.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
pwwalnuts
Focus Enthusiast

Just came in after taking a look at the bottom side of the transmission. There has never been any spotting in the garage where I park the focus but the L side of the transmission has definately been leaking. The source of the leak is on the top of the transmission. Hopefully, this can be repaired under the warranty. Thanks for your reply ... Knowledge is Power and you gave me some!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
It all depends on when you bought the car. Late in 05, and you're ok, early 05- you're screwed as the 5 yr is up.

If it is up, then changing the fluid will certainly solve the problem. Don't put any magic potions in there- like stop leak or whatever. You may have to purchase funnel with a long flexible tube to use to fill with. Also, expect to clean something off the drain plug as there will be metal shavings residue on it.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Pioneer74
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62931
What I Drive: 2000 SE MTX: 2009 SES MTX

FF Reputation: 7 Pioneer74 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
It all depends on when you bought the car. Late in 05, and you're ok, early 05- you're screwed as the 5 yr is up.
I can check to see if the vehicle is still under warranty if I am provided the VIN.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer74 View Post
I can check to see if the vehicle is still under warranty if I am provided the VIN.
I'm sure that will help him, but please exchange the VIN in PM.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
pwwalnuts
Focus Enthusiast

Just found out that the 05 I have been driving was originally purchased in 04 so the warranty is history.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
pwwalnuts
Focus Enthusiast

Can Lucas oil SAE 75w-90 Synthetic Gear Oil be used in place of the Ford product XTM5QS manual trans fluid?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
pwwalnuts
Focus Enthusiast

Motorcraft Transmission Oil Factory Motorcraft® Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid SAE 75W-90 gear oil designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company meeting warranty requirements. Recommended for MTX-75 and IB5 transmissions.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Any same weight oil should be ok. I used straight up Lucas Oil Stabilizer in an old transmission on a Ranger I owned. Read the back of it, it is recommended for old transmissions. You aren't supposed to use it 100% like I did, but it was the only thing that quieted the whine- not that I think it repaired the transmission or anything. I can tell you that it caused funny things to happen- there was a lot more resistance in the shifter until it warmed up a bit. This was worse in cold weather. Typically everything was resolved within the first 1/2 mile of driving. That stabilizer is really thick and sticky like tack oil.

I know nothing of the Lucas gear oil blend. That experience was from about 10 years ago when they only had one product.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->