All you people that buy synthetic oil are wasting your money!!!! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-07-2003, 11:32 PM   #11
BIGBADWORM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 517
What I Drive: 00 ZX3, 00 Dakota CC R/T

FF Reputation: 1 BIGBADWORM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well it doesn't help matters when you start calling people [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ing idiots right off the bat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2003, 11:33 PM   #12
hotfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Why does the topic of oil always seem to start fights on this forum??
I've never saw an oil thread that started an argument. Its topic starters like this that cause trouble.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:34 PM   #13
01CobaltTiburon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
Yeah, das rite
Old 11-07-2003, 11:38 PM   #14
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Here we go again...
Can't we all just GET ALONG????????
Old 11-07-2003, 11:43 PM   #15
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Does no one remember TheOtherRobert?? He loved to start fights in threads that were about oil. I dunno why - he was just set on the fact that he was right about oil and what kind to use...
Old 11-07-2003, 11:57 PM   #16
Dave
Focus Addict

Fan#: 507
FF Reputation: 1 Dave Good Standing Member
Dude, I have been spending 7 bucks a quart on my SVTF, if only I had known this earlier I could have saved hundreds, AAARRGGHHH!
Old 11-08-2003, 01:27 PM   #17
spapadillion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 705
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 PZEV ZX3 5-Speed

FF Reputation: 1 spapadillion Good Standing Member
Keep on spending that extra couple bucks for synthetic. Mobil 1 has had a commercial running here in California stating that if you use their full synthetic in even the lowliest of mid-size sedans, after 100,000 miles and proper maintenance, they guarantee that there will be absolutely no signs of wear, whatsoever.

I'd assume that includes our Focii.

I, for one, will always put that couple extra dollars into maintaining my car. That way, if anything goes wrong with it, I'll know I did everything I could to prevent it. This includes waxes, vinyl and leather protectants, even more expensive tires.

Near Future: Eibach Pro Kit, 17" Wheels & Tires, Roush stainless shifter knob
Friends don't let friends drive Saturns.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:46 PM   #18
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
this guy is just ignorant. ill spend the extra cash on synthetic for the gas mileage, not only the long term wear.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #19
dave30
Focus? What Focus?

Fan#: 388
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

FF Reputation: 1 dave30 Good Standing Member
Re: All you people that buy synthetic oil are wasting your money!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jamhole538
check this quote out "100% Synthetic Motor Oils are designed to give improved protection to HIGH OUTPUT,SUPERCHARED AND TURBOCHARGED PERFORMANCES VEHICLES" i doubt any of our focus are under this area.. i dont mean to dis you guys or ford... i love my FORD FOCUS PZEV 2.3...ITS THE SHIT but it aint no sports car guys... i am just saying dont waste 5-20 bucks on a quart of oil when .99 cents a quart will do the same protection and save you a shit load of money. thats stuff they say is all bs just to get more money from you guys...iI SIT HERE AND LAUGH AT ALL YOU IDIOTS FOR WASTING YOUR MONEY HAHAHAHA WAIT STILL LAUGHING HAHAHAHAH A LITTLE MORE HAHAHAHA [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ING IDIOTS

dear god, good thing you gave the sourse, otherwise we wouldn't have known that you MISQUOTED IT.

" Chevron Supreme 100% Synthetic Motor Oils give improved protection to high output, supercharged and turbocharged performance vehicles. " notice is says " give improved protection to...." it no where says they are designed for "high output" engines.

and as far your second comment about using oils that the engines where not designed for... well i'm looking at my owners manual, and right here in the "lubricant specifications" chart, it calls for a 5w-30 synthetic.... hmmm...
Old 11-08-2003, 03:22 PM   #20
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
to the original postee, or anyone not familiar with lubricants:

$1/quart 'bargain' oils CANNOT stand up to the test of time. There are more ratings and specifications regarding oils than many people care to admit; oil is more than slippery fluid. Luckily for myself, I have a fair amount of experience regarding industrial grade lubricants to understand the facts. Basically, without getting too technical, cheaper oils tend to break down quicker than premium oils (Royal Purple, Mobile 1, Redline, etc.). This means that if you drive you car hard and really heat that oil up, or don't manage to change the oil at regular, reasonable intervals, your oil WILL breakdown. Ask any engine builder/rebuilder out there, and they will be able to spot an engine that has used cheap oils. Typically, cheaper oils will leave a brownish film on the surface of the engine...seems like nothing big to the unsuspecting eye, but under scrutinizing, you will see that the film is actually a layer of 'coked/heated-up' oil that has filled in the microscopic valleys inherent in any and all cast and machined surfaces. Now, the film causes the surface to be smoother than it originally was...sounds good, right? Not at all. These surface 'peaks and valleys' actually allow oil to remain on the surface via surface tension...which is necessary to properly lubricate AND cool your engines components. Obviously, there is much much more involved with this, but these are the basics. Sorry, if I got too technical, but I want people to be informed.

As a practical example, I worked with a guy who owned a high-horsepower street bike. After his break-in period with non-synthetic oil, he switched to Royal Purple synthetic. He dynoed the bike before and after the oil change, to discover a net gain of almost 5 hp. Another guy I know did the same in his drag car. He found 15 hp...granted, he was producing in excess to 600 hp, but the example remains valid...will you see a difference in hp in your foci? I don't know, but its something that I plan on looking into. My experience with my last VW showed me that synthetic oil smoothed my cold idle out and slightly increased throttle response...slightly. In addition, I measured about 1 mpg difference.

So, excuse the lengthy post, you can use whatever oil you want. Want to save a few bucks every few thousand miles? Go ahead...I hope it works out for you. Personally, I don't mind spending some more money if it means fewer problems down the road.

BTW, if anyone out there is a technical geek like myself and would like to know more about this subject, email me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Nick

Last edited by essveetee; 11-08-2003 at 03:25 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->