My 2010 stock STS mod experience - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
2010_SES
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73086
What I Drive: 2010 Blue Flame SES Sedan Manual

FF Reputation: 3 2010_SES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My 2010 stock STS mod experience

First off I read through:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171991

Then I read through:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ghlight=steeda
and
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ghlight=steeda

Then I read through
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209254

All credit goes to all those guys before me. Thank you all who have done the how-to threads. I find things a lot easier for me seeing pictures. This is just for those who comprehend better through photos like me. All pics taken with my cell-phone. Anyway here was my experience.

First picture here is just with the boot up. No lock out. And the red piece from one of the previous threads here is black. It also has a piece of sticky foam around it although I don't know why.

This is with the boot removed and what the bottom of the plastic piece looks like from the side.

This picture is with the shifter in third gear. I have not adjusted the piece with the cable yet. I see there is a strange plastic tab underneath the console that looks as if it will interfere with the cable once I raise it on the shaft.

I placed a paper towel underneath the console on top of the shifter ball. I did this to prevent plastic from the console from getting onto the ball. I then proceeded to use a dremel with a cut wheel to trim the console and create space for the shifter cable.

What it looked like after I cut the console. I cleaned it up after this pic. Also, prior to making this cut I pushed the plastic on the shifter up as high as I could as I like really short throws. I then put it in first and fifth gear to measure how far to the left and right I would need to cut to allow room for the cable.

This is where I made the first cut on the plastic tube. Remember if you cut it too short the knob will have nothing to snug against. I had to cut quite a bit more off after as I made small cuts. I figured I could always take more plastic off but I can't put it back on.

Ok this is the picture of what the boot and boot trim look like. The edge showing is the edge that goes toward the front of the vehicle. This piece would have to be cut to allow room for the cable to travel.

This is what it looked like after I used a dremel to cut this piece. I did not take the leather off as I am lazy. If you choose to use this method to cut it just make sure you don't cut the leather on the boot. I did cut some of the leather that was attached to the trim but made sure not to cut the boot with the wheel.

The following two pictures are with everything installed and the plastic piece with the cable pushed up as much as I could go.

These next two pictures are with the boot snapped back into place. It is as solid as it was prior to the mod. You wouldn't be able to tell there were any cuts unless you removed the boot.

The last picture here is of the pieces that I had ended up cutting off from the tube inside the boot. There was a little melted plastic from the wheel but you can get a ball park idea of how much I cut-off.

Added by request of AzPete This is how I measured the boot tube (the plastic tube) The measurement I got was just shy of 2 1/2". Remember, this length is dependent on how much you raise the plastic piece holding your cable and is what mine ended up being. Cut the pieces of your car at your own risk-my disclaimer.

When you replace the shift knob there is something you have to be aware of. Tighten the knob until snug. If you keep tightening the knob the plastic piece holding the cable up gets pushed down increasing the throw of the shift. I over tightened the knob the first time. I just removed the shifter knob and unclipped the boot and moved the plastic piece up the shifter again and reinstalled.

My overall opinion is that the throws are shorter. There is a lot less play in the shifter and it is just as smooth as it was before. I am happy with my free mod. I will not attempt to cut my shifter to shorten the height although when cash allows I may purchase a lower height short throw shifter such as the Steeda. Worthwhile mod. I will spend my money on other mods. When everything else I want to do is done, then I might buy a STS.

DDM 6k HID bi-xenon heads and fogs
Short Throw shifter mod

Last edited by 2010_SES; 07-02-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Update pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
AzPete
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70838
What I Drive: 2011 Mustang GT California Special

FF Reputation: 6 AzPete Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good job. By chance, can you measure the black plastic tube to post how long the tube is after cutting? This would pin point the amount to cut off.
2011 Mustang GT California Special
2000 F250 SD 7.3 Super Cab
Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
2010_SES
Focus Enthusiast

The length of the tube would be dependent on how far up you moved the cable mount. If I could free up some time tomorrow I will try and pull it off and get a measurement for you.
Short Throw shifter mod
Old 07-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
AzPete
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks. Having that measurement would give a good base line along with the pics you posted.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Jbone1210
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 76360
What I Drive: 2007 White and Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jbone1210 Good Standing Member
ya im having a lil trouble to get it fitting right so i just moved it up a lil bit. but these pics and what you did actually helps out a lot on what i can do to move it up more to get it that much shorter. thanks for the tips and pics
2.25 magnaflow cat back
15.937 @ 87.31mph
Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
voortrek3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 487
What I Drive: 2009 Vista Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 voortrek3 Good Standing Member
Good job Chris!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
2010_SES
Focus Enthusiast

Will try and get the measurement this afternoon. Been really busy today and about to to take my wife to the airport.

Thanks all for the comments. I really am a visual guy myself so any pics I can get my hands on help me.
Short Throw shifter mod
Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Jbone1210
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 76360
What I Drive: 2007 White and Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jbone1210 Good Standing Member
Ya I agree with you. Mine is a 07 so it's a bit different. But it def gives me some ideas
2.25 magnaflow cat back
15.937 @ 87.31mph
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
2010_SES
Focus Enthusiast

Ok fellas, I measured the plastic tube at your request. I must like you guys to do this in the dark at 1100pm after a really long day. I measured mine at just shorter than 2 1/2". Again, this will be dependent on how high-up you raise the cable.

However, it does seem like there is a bit of leeway for this though. I had a lot more threads I could have tightened the knob on. I just barely snugged up the knob because the first time I ended up screwing the knob too far and ended up pushing the cable back down the stick making the throws longer albeit not by much.

Again, I hope this helps you guys. Any questions just ask.
Short Throw shifter mod
Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
AzPete
Focus Enthusiast

Has anyone had issues with the clamp on the shifter rotating on the shaft due to not being locked over the tab at the lower position?

No issues here but I would hate to have it spin while the wife is out somewhere.....

Bookmarks & Social Networks