ZETEC Timing Belt Replacement - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #41
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Take a look at the opposite end. Are the slots still lined up? Oh, is the bar in place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #42
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38833
What I Drive: Focus

FF Reputation: 1 RickNC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhc_focus View Post
Take a look at the opposite end. Are the slots still lined up? Oh, is the bar in place?
I don't have the bar at this time. Was to late to call around last night when I got it apart. I am going to start calling to see if I can find the pin and the bar.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #43
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,172, Level 46
Points: 5,172, Level: 46 Points: 5,172, Level: 46 Points: 5,172, Level: 46
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Get the bar and pin, put them in and you should be good.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #44
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 8,935, Level 63
Points: 8,935, Level: 63 Points: 8,935, Level: 63 Points: 8,935, Level: 63
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 69 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile IF he was near TDC #1 when the belt came off! Otherwise you need to carefullt turn crank so pistons move toward center of stroke (plugs pulled) so they are away from valves. Then set cams to timing position. Then bring #1 piston to TDC . at that point you can proceed with normal timing instructions!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #45
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Posted via FF Mobile IF he was near TDC #1 when the belt came off! Otherwise you need to carefullt turn crank so pistons move toward center of stroke (plugs pulled) so they are away from valves. Then set cams to timing position. Then bring #1 piston to TDC . at that point you can proceed with normal timing instructions!
I was under the impression I could put the pin in and hit it with the crank and that would line up the cams. Then put the bar in and proceed. If not please let me know. I had to order the bar and pin online so the car is going to sit for a couple days.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #46
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,172, Level 46
Points: 5,172, Level: 46 Points: 5,172, Level: 46 Points: 5,172, Level: 46
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I would take the t-belt off, or loosen the cam gears. Then put the timing pin in, align the crank with the pin. The put the timing bar in, align the cams with it, then tighten down the cam gears.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #47
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Ok I am doing this now. Found the belt to be really loose. When I got in there I found that the idler pulley bolt had snapped. I don't know how it was even running. So when the cover came off the idler fell off and the belt came off. I think I also bumped the cam sprocket. So now I wonder how I am going to make sure the timing is correct with no belt...........
If the belt fell off as stated above, putting the crank pin in won't help the cam sprocket position. Slow down. Look at the opposite end of the cams, are the slots fairly close to parallel? You can't just spin them. If so you should be able to wiggle the bar into place. That's what I did. LUK
Old 05-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #48
RickNC
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhc_focus View Post
If the belt fell off as stated above, putting the crank pin in won't help the cam sprocket position. Slow down. Look at the opposite end of the cams, are the slots fairly close to parallel? You can't just spin them. If so you should be able to wiggle the bar into place. That's what I did. LUK
They are. The intake cam is slightly turned. I know that moving the crank to the pin isn't going to move the cams since there is no belt. However, from what I have read it seems that if the crank is against the pin and the cams are lined up all is good. No? I know I have lots of questions but the more I read on here the more confused I get. Everybody seems to say somethign different.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #49
Alex2507
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74979
What I Drive: 2000 Silver Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 Alex2507 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I had to order the bar and pin online ...
Can you provide a link to where you got them? I'm just starting to gather up parts and courage for this as my 2000 SE has 160k miles and I'm starting to think it might be time ...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #50
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
They are. The intake cam is slightly turned. I know that moving the crank to the pin isn't going to move the cams since there is no belt. However, from what I have read it seems that if the crank is against the pin and the cams are lined up all is good. No? I know I have lots of questions but the more I read on here the more confused I get. Everybody seems to say somethign different.
Sounds to me like you are very close with the cams. When I went to put the bar in the slots they were off about 1/8". I turned the cam just enough to slip the bar in place. Then put the pin in the hole. Now your good to go.
It will take several tries to get the belt on. If you don't keep the crank against the pin, there will be slop in the belt. Like I said, you'll get it after several tries. It does require patience, you got some on the shelve? LUK

Bookmarks & Social Networks