removal of crankshaft pulley bolt? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #41
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 74469
What I Drive: focus lx blue

FF Reputation: 1 the_doc735 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The single lug/tooth design tool should hopefully do the job for you, but you would hate to snap off a gear tooth or break the tool, considering that your's seems to be really tight. The two or three lug/tooth design tool will just distribute the load over more teeth. I've seen both designs.......surely you can locate/buy/rent one at your location in Britain.
the only multi tooth tools I can find in the UK are for things like: peugeot, citron, renault, rover/MG etc. But not the ford zetec se 1.6 petrol engine, even that Sealey (single tooth) Ford Engine Flywheel Locking Tool Set - Model No: VS4834 is only for the 1.6 Ti-VCT Petrol Engine and non of the shops I have contacted in the UK can say if it is suitable for the 1.6. Zetec SE engine???
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #42
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Posted via FF MobileSingle tooth as described sounds more useful for tming setting, assembly work... prob. not for stuck bolt removal...
Old 04-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #43
lbrowne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70250
What I Drive: My wife nuts

FF Reputation: 1 lbrowne Good Standing Member
For the record I've used the method of placing the socket on the crank pulley bolt and use a breaker bar to the garage floor and bumping the starter. Works like a charm.

On a stick shift with the car off, I've placed the car in 5th, handbrake on and apply the brakes and bump the starter. Did that one a couple times on my old 240sx.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #44
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Posted via FF MobileSingle tooth as described sounds more useful for tming setting, assembly work... prob. not for stuck bolt removal...
http://www.toolsdirect2you.co.uk/pro...or=&PT_ID=1545
"suitable for counter-holding crankshaft when releasing or tightening crankshaft pulley bolts"
Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #45
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
For the record I've used the method of placing the socket on the crank pulley bolt and use a breaker bar to the garage floor and bumping the starter. Works like a charm.

On a stick shift with the car off, I've placed the car in 5th, handbrake on and apply the brakes and bump the starter. Did that one a couple times on my old 240sx.
I'll certainly think about it! ~ do I need to disconnect the spark plugs first? And does it matter if the old timing belt and auxiliary belt have been removed?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #46
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

going to try the LASER C311 Crankshaft Locking Tool next with a six foot breaker bar on the bolt!! [don't confuse this with the timing pin]

and/or Laser 4275 flywheel locking tool:

i.e. one at the front (of the block) and one at the rear!!

Last edited by the_doc735; 05-03-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #47
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
the_doc735.......the crankshaft locating pin should NOT be used as countertorque when loosening the pulley bolt.......only use the flywheel tool. I can't find the link now but I remember seeing a warning (and photos on where the pin contacts the crank) about not using the pin when loosening the pulley bolt, for example.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #48
the_doc735
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
the crankshaft locating pin should NOT be used as countertorque
crankshaft locating pin = timing pin?

If yes(?) ...don't worry I'm not using the timing pin; I'm using the crankshaft locking tool which has an entirely different part number, it is A LOT more robust than a timing pin and unlike the timing pin it DOES have a 'hex head' rather than thumb screw grip - to allow spanner tightness to be applied
Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #49
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,780, Level 71
Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71 Points: 11,780, Level: 71
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_doc735 View Post
http://www.toolsdirect2you.co.uk/pro...or=&PT_ID=1545
"suitable for counter-holding crankshaft when releasing or tightening crankshaft pulley bolts"
I see the Quote, and for normal situations would likely be adequate - your situation seems abnormal and the Bigger Air Impact or brace & bump methods suggested can't hurt anything but the bolt you're trying to remove....
Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #50
Grumpy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
I found the photo of your referenced tool kit and it appears that the "locking" pin is shorter than the "locating" pin which makes sense because I believe that the locking pin has to be contacting the crank web/counterweight in a different location because you'll be trying to rotate the crank in a counterclockwise direction when loosening the pulley bolt, as opposed to a clockwise direction when locating the crankshaft for timing the cams. My concern was because of these photos in post #4 here: http://passionford.com/forum/technic...cking-kit.html

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.