Car sputters/loses power or feels like stalling when I'm accelerating - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
RallyFocus75
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 74117
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 RallyFocus75 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc34 View Post
YUP. Alternator is shot. When the battery gets below about 10 volts the computer on our cars does some really strange things. Dash starts to freak out followed by severe bucking and eventually death LOL. Double check that the pig tail that plugs in to the alt is good (known problem). Get the battery charged up and get to a place that will check the alt...
This sounds exactly like whats going on with my wife's '02 Focus. Tonight it started loosing power when driving 60 mph & felt like its trying to stall. Put in the clutch and the engine stalls. Won't re-start right away..wait a minute, suddently starts no problem. Problem repeated a few times. Same as Leetv stated, no warning lights on the dash. I hooked up a code reader when I got home, no engine faults present. This is the first time this has happened interesting someone mentioned the alternator problem. Her car wouldn't start the other morning - battery was dead. Boosted the car, took it for a drive, ran fine. Checked the voltage when I go back, 12V with engine off, only 12.5V with it running - I'm thinking its the alternator as the voltage should be 13-14V when the engine is running. Took it to Ford they changed the battery, said the alternator was fine. Is it possible to have an intermitent problem with the alternator?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->