Focus ZTS vs NEON SE - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-05-2003, 01:16 AM   #11
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It's annoying to be beat by a Neon, but yes, they are quicker than most people give them credit for. Having an SVT, I can pretty much count on being able to beat the lesser Neons, having a close(r) race against an R/T or ACR and having my ass handed to me by an SRT-4. On the subject of the SRT-4, man that thing is loud! I don't know how Dodge managed to get that into production as loud as it is.

My "company" car is a 2002 Dodge Neon with the SOHC engine and an ATX. Engine doesn't seem all that bad (pretty noisy), but the ATX usually leaves me irritated. I haven't driven a manual Neon, but I suspect that I would enjoy it more. Being a driving instructor (and the Neon being the training car) I probably shouldn't admit this but I have had the Neon well over 100mph before. It got there without massive struggle, but I was already traveling at about 75 on the freeway and just punched it. I'm sure getting to 100 from a stop would be a different story.

As anti-Neon as I have come across on this forum, I still entertain the idea of either (a) getting a 2nd-gen ACR and making a nice sleeper or (b) just giving up and buying an SRT-4.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2003, 01:49 AM   #12
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by silent
is there any tips if i want to race a focus. like would it shift gears if its in first gear when it readlines or stuff like that.
get the 5 spd. just bein honest, atx isnt much of a strip terrorizer. if u want performance, get the 5 spd, so much more u can do. with an atx, u either build the tranny, turbo it, and run 13-12s. or u dont build it, do all the bolt ons u can, and run a high 15.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
Fabster82
Focus Addict

Fan#: 437
What I Drive: 2003 Focus zts

FF Reputation: 1 Fabster82 Good Standing Member
welcome aboard and you should just get that focus already. they are great cars

Mods: clear corners, interior under seat neons, MAC short ram, a bosal exhaust or fs exhaust to come
Old 11-05-2003, 12:51 PM   #14
00focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1594
What I Drive: 2000 Focus Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 00focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i havent done any performance mods yet on my 00 zetec and i ran a 16.99 at the strip i hope after a t/b intake and maybe a few others i can shave off a second!

jt evo 5front and rear, evo fogs, evo-5 exhaust, ww side skirts, halo hl, 17"rev model 12 rims(black) with dunlop sport fm 901 rubber,easystreet air ride suspension with ride pro digital management,debadged, dvd with 7.2" monitors, fc antenna, euro grille
-BoB-
Old 11-05-2003, 01:25 PM   #15
silent
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1613
What I Drive: Dodge Neon SE and soon to be a Focus Zts

FF Reputation: 1 silent Good Standing Member
i wanted a mtx but i'm getting a good deal on the focus. its has about 15k miles and its only 4g's. so its cheat.
i cant imagine a focus being slower in the take off because my 2nd gen neon its real slow in the take off and once its at 30mph it takes off. i have no problem getting over 110mph. but the only problem with the neon is that it cant go faster than 118mph.
does anyone have any times for the quater mile. with and w/o mods. for a stock neon its about 17.2 with a atx. i think the focus could do better than that.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #16
SVT4ME

118 huh? That's not too shabby. A stock non-SVT Focus tops out in the 108 ballpark. I have students who see that 120mph speedo in the Neon and they're like "yeah but I bet this thing can't even go that fast, right?" I guess it can get pretty close.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:53 PM   #17
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
lol but the focus has a 140 speedo... now how crazy is that?
ST crew #18
Old 11-05-2003, 05:16 PM   #18
John
Banned

Fan#: 333
What I Drive: InfaRed Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 John Good Standing Member
lol
word
Old 11-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #19
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by SVT4ME
118 huh? That's not too shabby. A stock non-SVT Focus tops out in the 108 ballpark. I have students who see that 120mph speedo in the Neon and they're like "yeah but I bet this thing can't even go that fast, right?" I guess it can get pretty close.
You don't let them try?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #20
SVT4ME

Quote:
Originally posted by Infra3sv
You don't let them try?
If I did I'd get fired pretty quickly - the car has the school's name and phone number plastered all over it. Believe me when I tell you that people do call and complain about things they saw us doing out on the roads. I did actually have one student a long time ago who tried her best to see how fast that car would go - I had to remind her that she was never going to pass the test if she couldn't even keep the car out of triple-digit speeds on the freeway!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.