Track Day Setup Advice - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2013 Red ST & 2009 Focus Race Car

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Fortunately min made it in to a garage before the snow started. I have the enterer rear subframe removed and broken down. Not I just need to start assembling the mew one. Then and alignment and new tires

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63091
What I Drive: 14' Silver ST, 02 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 2 MattyM3CSL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sounds like you have a pretty serious track car. I def want to check it out sometime. Unfortunately my car is sitting outside under 2 feet of snow now. Im doing a favor for my dad so my garage is occupied by one of his toys.

Im going to need an alignment also….where are you planning on taking yours to get aligned?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #13
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post
As for tires the Direzza Starspec is a very good choice if you getting a dedicated set of tires. I got about 12 track days out of mine and maybe around 5000 road miles, but that’s not bad for a sticky street tier. As far as track performance the Dunlop does very well they are very consistent once they get hot, though I feel the cold to warm grip is a little better. But they are consistent and don’t get overly greasy towards the end of the run.
Though I only ran two track days on them late last year, the Dunlops mentioned here worked nicely for me as well. I have used true "R-compound" race tires in the past on other cars, and yes, in general, they can be quite gripless when cold, and can get greasy if pushed too hard too. The Direzzas are street tires with enough extra grip to make them useful as occasional track/autocross rubber. And...they're reasonably priced. My vote is for them, especially if you're new to the track.

Suspension?? I have been running the FRPP Dynamic complete system (Spec Focus stuff), plus a 25mm Eibach rear antisway bar. It's a bit harsh on New England roads, but if you keep away from potholes you'll be OK. I added the SPC adjustable rear control arms and K-MAC front camber/caster plates to get the alignment to a "typical" Spec Focus setting. I decided not to go with the FRPP adjustable rear subframe just because of the extra labor needed to swap it out, and if the SPC arms add weight I don't care because this car is for daily driving and track events, not races. The alignment specs I used:

Front: Camber: -2.6, Caster: +3.0, Toe: 1/16 Out
Rear: Camber: -1.0, Toe: 0
The balance is very neutral...which means drive smooth and smart cuz you can loop it easier now! lol OK it isn't THAT twitchy, just a whole lot better than original...understeer much less of a problem now.

Enjoy!

Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex214 View Post
Front: Camber: -2.6, Caster: +3.0, Toe: 1/16 Out
Rear: Camber: -1.0, Toe: 0
The balance is very neutral...which means drive smooth and smart cuz you can loop it easier now! lol OK it isn't THAT twitchy, just a whole lot better than original...understeer much less of a problem now.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the info!! how is your tire ware? are those specs agressive for the street?

looks like the tax man was kind to me this year...im going with the dynamic kit and plan on getting the dunlops early summer once the current tires are worn.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyM3CSL View Post
Thanks for all the info!! how is your tire ware? are those specs agressive for the street?

looks like the tax man was kind to me this year...im going with the dynamic kit and plan on getting the dunlops early summer once the current tires are worn.
Tire wear seems OK so far, but I do use separate summer and winter tires, rotate them, and put less than 8000 miles a year on this car total. The majority of my street tire wear is just me occasionally pushing on the favorite on-ramps etc ;) Aggressive for the street? Not bad at all really...in the snow you have to be more careful since the rear will move around a little more, but otherwise it's pretty civilized for "race" suspension.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #16
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

that is good to know....

So possible slight change of plans for the suspension. I’ve been reading that the popular FRPP original dynamic kit is no longer in production, however the replacement “dynamic” kit now cost in the neighborhood of $600 instead of $330 like the deal they used to be. Well for 600 bucks I’m seriously considering the koni sport kit (with springs)plus its on sale now. Does anyone happen to know if the koni springs are progressive or linear rate and what the rates may be? decisions, decisions………
Old 03-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #17
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
that is good to know....

So possible slight change of plans for the suspension. I’ve been reading that the popular FRPP original dynamic kit is no longer in production, however the replacement “dynamic” kit now cost in the neighborhood of $600 instead of $330 like the deal they used to be. Well for 600 bucks I’m seriously considering the koni sport kit (with springs)plus its on sale now. Does anyone happen to know if the koni springs are progressive or linear rate and what the rates may be? decisions, decisions………
If I recall, the FRPP part# is M-3000-ZXM...definitely NOT $600. Capaldi lists it for $460. Some other places seem to list it a bit higher, but still a nicely balanced set-up.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
If I recall, the FRPP part# is M-3000-ZXM...definitely NOT $600. Capaldi lists it for $460. Some other places seem to list it a bit higher, but still a nicely balanced set-up.
yeah your right...i just checked Capaldi's website. I could have sworn i read somewhere that the M-3000-ZXM kit was discontinued and the replacement parts were M-18000-ZXM and M-5560-ZXM = $600 +/-. i'll have to give them a call. thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
yeah your right...i just checked Capaldi's website. I could have sworn i read somewhere that the M-3000-ZXM kit was discontinued and the replacement parts were M-18000-ZXM and M-5560-ZXM = $600 +/-. i'll have to give them a call. thanks for the heads up!
Hey I could be wrong...Capaldi could be behind the times with their website. I just hope not! :D

Big oops on my part! I thought I had bought the M-3000-ZXM. Looks from my records it was the M-5560-ZXM springs, and M-18000-ZXM dampers. And...yes the price is around $600 or so plus shipping. The M-3000-ZXM is I think the original spring and damper set, but those were the shocks that had some issues as well, leaks I think.

Last edited by apex214; 04-04-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: New info...correction
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey I could be wrong...Capaldi could be behind the times with their website. I just hope not! :D

Big oops on my part! I thought I had bought the M-3000-ZXM. Looks from my records it was the M-5560-ZXM springs, and M-18000-ZXM dampers. And...yes the price is around $600 or so plus shipping. The M-3000-ZXM is I think the original spring and damper set, but those were the shocks that had some issues as well, leaks I think.
Thanks for sharing your findings .... I got in touch with Tousley Ford last Fri and was told the same thing. I actually placed an order with tirerack and bought the Koni kit. Unfortunately, the kit is on back order, and its looking like is may be a while before they are back in stock…..

I might cancel the order and go with the FRPP kit again…

Bookmarks & Social Networks