Dogbone Mount - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
Chadro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73186
What I Drive: 2001 Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Chadro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dogbone Mount

I just replaced the stock dogbone on my 01 ZX3 with one from oreilley. What a pain in the a**. The smaller end had rubber covering the metal so it was impossible to get in without hammering it in. It ended up just shearing the rubber right off. I don't know if it was a design flaw or what but it would absolutely not go in with the rubber on there. Is this normal? any input?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
afx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59294
What I Drive: 01 blk SE

FF Reputation: 1 afx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It is a pita to replace them. what i did is suported the engine with a jack and loosen all motor mounts, then with a prybar move the engine forward. oh and about your mount, something similar happen to me and it didnt last long but i think it was because the pass side mount was bad too.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Chadro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73186
What I Drive: 2001 Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Chadro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It wasnt too bad to replace if it wasn't for the oversized small end. It took about 2 mins to get the old one out and that was with me just pushing to motor forward with my hands.

The metal part on the small end where the bolt goes through had a rubber coating on it and the stock one did not. So it made it too big and it wouldn't even fit right. After hammering it in, the rubber just came off and it lined right up. I'm calling it a design flaw.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2327&ppt=C0019

If you look at the pic,on the small side the metal part is exposed and the rubber sits back a little. On the actual part, the rubber sticks out further than the metal and makes it too wide.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
afx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59294
What I Drive: 01 blk SE

FF Reputation: 1 afx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
is it au stock mount? i replace my stock one like 3 times. the third one the metal part in the midle was a little biger then the mount and i also hamer it in but but doin so the ruber thing came off the bone and it looked crooked. now i have poly inserts, they fit nice and snugg in there. they look more durable and feal great.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.