The "Official" Suspension Thread - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #51
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 62912
What I Drive: 05 Red ST

FF Reputation: 1 kgb05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^Neuspeed used to be made by H&R, and I think highly of my NS sports on the Lude... It's on rails, but it can be a bit jarring ("race" springs are obviously harder), but that is partly the fault on AGXes on the one setting under the stiffest (3/4) and poly bushings... I THINK the H&R sports for the lude are a bit lower spring rate (softer) than the NS sports.

What a great thread... you guys really have it together... everytime I think I need to ask a question I find the answers.

I don't have the money now, just time for research, and my plan for sometime has been to eventually upgrade the suspension on our ST to an SVT setup. I like the H&R progressives or maybe the eibach pro kit with some koni shocks (was there a review for the non adjustables??... I forgot...). But... the ST is our snow car right now and for long distance trips we want to maintain plenty of comfort... We did test drive an SVT on some mtn lake road though, and I think that will suffice as a good compromise of handling and comfort...

When we want to rip it we get in my prelude... http://www.preludezone.com/members-r...2-1992-si.html

It's lowered about 1.7" on Neuspeed Sports and AGXes with poly bushings from ES all around... and the strut bars... When the OP was talking about some of those balanced setups rotating so well it made me thing of my Lude! It's funny how much of the info on Ludes transfers to focuses (I.E. ground control coilovers w/ koni yellows is considered one of the best combos).

How do KYB GR2s compare to stock SVT dampers? Are "Ford Racing" parts legit?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #52
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
KYB GR2's are a great OEM replacement shock, possibly one of the best, especially for the money. They are NOT, however, designed or intended to be used with stiffer or shorter springs. KYB AGX's can be used with modest drops and spring rate increases. Ford racing suspension pieces have proven durable and when bought in kits.... well matched. The kicker is that Ford is offereing them at great bang for the buck prices.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #53
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

cool, thanks... what about GR2s with stock SVT springs? is even the .75" drop too much?

I know kids on the prelude forum have dropped the gr2s 1.5", but I was even ambivalent about dropping my agxes 1.7" in the front (as they advertised a max drop of 1.5")... my motorsports shop (blueridge motorsports) assured me it would be okay... so far, after two years, they have been right!

again, I appreciate the info... I'm enjoying the forum... gives me something to do since I dont have any money, lol...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #54
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb05 View Post
cool, thanks... what about GR2s with stock SVT springs? is even the .75" drop too much?

I know kids on the prelude forum have dropped the gr2s 1.5", but I was even ambivalent about dropping my agxes 1.7" in the front (as they advertised a max drop of 1.5")... my motorsports shop (blueridge motorsports) assured me it would be okay... so far, after two years, they have been right!

again, I appreciate the info... I'm enjoying the forum... gives me something to do since I dont have any money, lol...
They might be OK but why gamble.....why not go with a SVT shock with an SVT spring. Kind of seems like a no brainer. They're just as good AND cost a lot less!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #55
kgb05
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

That too was my reasoning... because we test drove an SVT and then bought an ST I noticed the change in handling... I liked it and planned to put the SVT parts on my car (some amazing ebay deals...), but wanted to get a little more feedback before deciding.

just as good at lower cost = count me in.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #56
sawtelled
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73523
What I Drive: 2006 white zx3

FF Reputation: 1 sawtelled Good Standing Member
06 zx3 suspension

I have a 2006 ford focus zx3 and I am having a hard time finding more than just lowered coil springs. I really like the H&R cup kit but I cant find it for the 06. What do you suggest.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #57
drostedrummer89
I <3 my SVT

Fan#: 69059
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic SVT

Points 5,188, Level 46
Points: 5,188, Level: 46 Points: 5,188, Level: 46 Points: 5,188, Level: 46
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 drostedrummer89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
KW springs are usually yellow, but there's probably others as well. Have you looked at the springs closely (you may have to wipe them off if dirty) as most companies put their name or logo on one of the coils.
yea they are pretty old, the paint is peeling and when i took a glance while up on the hoist i didnt see any brand. does anyone have any idea how low skunks drop the zx3? would roush struts and shocks be a comparable replacement for my konis? thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #58
usapatriot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73594
What I Drive: 09' Black SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 0 usapatriot Newbie
So I want to drop my 09' Focus Coupe, any recommendations? It's been suggested to me that I go will full coilovers, those are a bit pricey but apparently the best.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #59
Blackcatn2o
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
How much of a drop?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #60
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

Points 6,971, Level 55
Points: 6,971, Level: 55 Points: 6,971, Level: 55 Points: 6,971, Level: 55
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Ford Racing kit: Springs and Dampers:

Part #'s: M-18000-ZX3B and M-5560-ZX3B

I just put this on with my FRPP rear sway bar this weekend. It's a direct bolt on.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.