CAI or SRI? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
shadowvox6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35750
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 shadowvox6 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
CAI FTW...
Hydrolocking is not an issue....
Proud Team Duratec Member #39
2006 Focus ZX4 SES
Too many things to list here...Check out my Motortopia page..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #22
silverarrowz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72971
What I Drive: Silver LS7 + SES + CBR1KRR

FF Reputation: 1 silverarrowz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
deciding on this as well and would be picking up a CAI
Old 02-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #23
Blackcatn2o
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
do this buy your self a CAI an when it rains like hell for months just take the stock maf tube an switch it out with the CAI, then hose clamp a cone filter on the end.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:16 AM   #24
lets_FOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62632
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lets_FOCUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I think I am going to do TaylorinAlaska's mod for now, but come summer, CAI it is!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #25
threadlock
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 55215
What I Drive: 2007 red

FF Reputation: 1 threadlock Good Standing Member
I would not do exactly what Taylor did to that MAF tube. Just buy a couple of spacers and keep the MAF tube in one piece. I have a 07 and I ran the filter and tube into the hole left from removing that stupid air box.
If you remove the boot from the intake manifold, drop the filter straight down the boot will make the bend back to the intake. Just don't run the filter below the facia. My vehical also has 2 cooling fans down there. I don't think heat soak will be a problem. I have driven in alot of extremly heavy rain this winter and have had no trouble.
Also, I am getting 20 to 25 more miles per tank and the performance increase is noticable. I get on it whenever I can, my wife says it's noticable and my 18 year old loves to drive it now . I drive almost exactly 50/50 highway and city.
I paid $27 for the Spectra filter and it came with all the necessary spacers.
You may want to buy a better filter. Measure for correct size first. Also, you can bend the existing bracket to hold the system in place.
If a CAI system for $250 will get you 10 times this performance I would be the first in line to get one. I think a $50 K&N should get you there.

No offence to anyone, just my opinion and experience.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
Binzer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 73070
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE Hatch, 94 FLSTC

FF Reputation: 1 Binzer Good Standing Member
Air Filter Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadlock View Post
I have a 07 and I ran the filter and tube into the hole left from removing that stupid air box.

I paid $27 for the Spectra filter and it came with all the necessary spacers.
You may want to buy a better filter. Measure for correct size first. Also, you can bend the existing bracket to hold the system in place.
I think a $50 K&N should get you there.
No offence to anyone, just my opinion and experience.
I have an 06 and am looking to do something similar.
I have 98.5k on it and do 100 mi/day for work, 80% highway driving.
I am starting to notice less pickup when getting on the highway and a noticable roar from the air intake.
I was under the car Sunday to rotate the tires and was looking at the air box, is it possible to remove both boxes (engine compartment and fender) and install the Spectre or K&N filter directly where the inside box gets removed??
The car has been so reliable I have not messed with it much, but now want to do a few tweaks. The air box has a broken mount from a deer running into the fender last month so doing a replacement will eliminate that from rattling.

I am sure cleaning the maf sensor will help some also.

Where did you pick up the filter kit? A quick look online for the local places found the filter but without any adapters?

tnx.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #27
threadlock
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I wasn't a kit. It was just a spectra filter. The spacers were in the filter neck. I got it at a local SC store. You should be able to get it just about anywhere.
Take a look in the box. I can't remember what size I bought. You can also get adapters off the shelf.
I bought a rather large cone shaped one because I was going to route a DIY CAI. changed my mind when I took a good look. Defineitly measure and get a smaller tube shaped filter. You should be able to push forward into the fasica a little. I changed the poition of my horn so I could get the filter into the fascia more.
I did not want to destroy the MAF tube in case I wasn't happy with the results.
I just drove around today in a good size rain storm and hit alot of puddles. I found no ill effects.
I took a look and not muchwater splashes into that area.

Yes, you can remove everything. There are DIY instructions at the top of this form for a stealth setup that explains how to remove everything.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
Binzer
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I wasn't a kit. It was just a spectra filter. The spacers were in the filter neck. Take a look in the box. I can't remember what size I bought. You can also get adapters off the shelf..
Ok, one of the local places lists them online so I'll drop by and see what they have on the shelf.
Quote:
I bought a rather large cone shaped one because I was going to route a DIY CAI. changed my mind when I took a good look. Defineitly measure and get a smaller tube shaped filter. You should be able to push forward into the fasica a little. I changed the poition of my horn so I could get the filter into the fascia more..
I figure after looking at the CAI kits that a good piece of Industrial grade PVC pipe and some fittings should duplicate the pipe you buy for at least $100, add a strap to bolt it to the existing mount, maybe a couple hose clamps and your good at less than half the price.

Quote:
I did not want to destroy the MAF tube in case I wasn't happy with the results..
Ditto here, I want to be able to put it back just in case.

Quote:
Yes, you can remove everything. There are DIY instructions at the top of this form for a stealth setup that explains how to remove everything.
Ok, will have a look at that. I have time to read as the rest of the week here in CT is going to be crummy to say the least.

tnx, Mike.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #29
threadlock
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I have an automatic and it did not like a 90deg bend in the tubing right before the intake manifold. I reconfigured it 3 diferent ways. I even gutted the piping fron the inner air box and it did not like that bend either. that's why i went with the short ram intake.
I also read a thread a while back not to use PVC and I can't remember why.You might want to look for that.
Good luck.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #30
Binzer
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I have an automatic and it did not like a 90deg bend in the tubing right before the intake manifold. I reconfigured it 3 diferent ways. I even gutted the piping fron the inner air box and it did not like that bend either. that's why i went with the short ram intake.
I also read a thread a while back not to use PVC and I can't remember why.You might want to look for that.
Good luck.
Ok, I'll check on the PVC thing.

I have an automatic also.

I had another thought, has anybody gutted the original filter, pulled out the stuffing, then put a cone filter on the top??
From what I remember there is some type of cap on the top that has some rubber straps, I am sure a cone filter could be put on there if the box was empty.
I have to wait for better weather, got 4 bad days ahead, just got home in an inch of snow...arrgh.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
cai, cold air, intake, short ram, sri