How-To: Shorten your shift throw with stock MTX shifter - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #31
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
88 bucks at Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-7224/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #32
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey if it works for you guys and you have the extra money laying around, go for it. There's countless threads about Steeda and other aftermarket STS. This thread is for people who want to shorten their throw on a budget.

@PSUrivie, have you done this mod, and are comapring it to the Steeda? Or are you simply stating that the Steeda makes a difference over stock? Because my shifts are also shorter and stiffer, and I can't immagine the Steeda being so different as to be worth at least $88. I have heard they are actually quite comaparable. If the Steeda was that much higher anyway, you'd have to modify the center console, not just the boot trim.

The point is, there are those of us who don't want to (or can't) spend money frivolously. Especially with the economy the way it is, $88 can be someone's food and gas budget for a couple of weeks. This is just one of those quick and free mods to make us smile more.

EDIT: There also seems to be some confusion regarding this mod, as bdnld4482's recent post shows. This isn't a mod to give you a short shifter. Those are just shortened levers. This mod is to shorten the THROWS of the shifter, and this mod most certainly does move the pivot point.

Last edited by FucusUnderground; 01-21-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Fucus, no I haven't done this mod, I was just simply stating that the shifter works in an 09 and buying it through Summit is cheaper than on the Steeda site
Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #34
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
*edit* - Mike I like your sig

Nice write up Mike. I did this a while ago and it did make a huge difference. I also chopped it so it's shorter. With this setup I can't justify spending the money on a "real" STS.

Here's how mine looks with the Saleen N20 knob:
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #35
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
this chopped down sts , sure is shorter just cause you chopped it but if you have never driven a focus with a real sts then you cant compare it with the real thing. i took off my steeda sts and put my stock chopped sts on and i hated it so bad that i put the steeda back on after 2 weeks. 110$$$ i think is well worth the cashif you combian it with the lower mount. If you have never owned a real STS then you have no qlue what your talking about.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #36
05yellowd20
Banned

Fan#: 62464
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3 2.0 Duratec

FF Reputation: 15 05yellowd20 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Did this mod. and cut down my stock shifter. Love it. I don't have money to throw away so this was a good cheap mod that works for me
Old 01-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #37
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
Thanks MisterJohnson, and that knob looks tight!

bdnld4482...NOBODY here is talking about chopping their shift lever. Some members have done it in ADDITION to the mod being discussed, but that is an aside, and you keep commenting on something that is not really part of this discussion. It's equivalent to us talking about wheel sizes and you commenting on tire pressure. I suggest you read the whole thread. Never once did I say anything about just chopping it. This is a TRUE STS mod, look at the responses. It works. Furthermore, both this mod and a STS RAISE the pivot mount point, not lower it. No disrespect but you're the only one who doesn't seem to know what they're talking about.

PSUrivie, thanks for the clarification. That's what I thought you meant but couldn't be sure.

Last edited by FucusUnderground; 01-22-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #38
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnld4482 View Post
this chopped down sts , sure is shorter just cause you chopped it but if you have never driven a focus with a real sts then you cant compare it with the real thing. i took off my steeda sts and put my stock chopped sts on and i hated it so bad that i put the steeda back on after 2 weeks. 110$$$ i think is well worth the cashif you combian it with the lower mount. If you have never owned a real STS then you have no qlue what your talking about.
CONTEXT FAIL! lol

Mike's How-To never said anything about chopping it down. It was about raising the pivot attachment point to shorten the throw.

I added the point that I did chop mine down IN ADDITION to shortening the throw.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
OK. I am confused. I realize the discussion is about the mod. But may I ask, is the Steeda STS shorter than stock? this is the 1st thread I can recall that ever raised the issue. (This is an issue as my wife has reach problems).
Also, regarding overall feel. I read that it is 'stiffer' (as well as having a shorter throw). My current OEM feel is sort of notchy. I.E. I can def feel moving from 1st, to neutral to 2nd as an example, even though the 'overall' transition is smooth. Hard to describe). So does this mod affect the 'notchy' feel in any way? Like to look before I leap.
thanks
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #40
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
sigh. fucus, i guess you didnt search TOO hard when you were looking up threads on this....

I created these threads a long time ago, first a DIY....then a full STS thread. Apparently they were not read. Please see below.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ghlight=steeda

I did the above in 2008. Then, I did this:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ghlight=steeda

I had asked that these be stickied, but it seems they never were.

And I can't get no love. =( I tried to put in as many 'searchable' references as I could in each of these (such as Short Throw Shifter instead of STS, which does not come up in search). I had hoped people would see them in their searches, but apparently not. SoCon, please refer to my threads for the answers to your questions. Most every question is in answered already in these two threads. It was THOSE threads where these all first came up. This discussion/thread came up about a year later, in 2009. Then was revived.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->