Sitting On the Rally Fence! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
SykSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 70827
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT, 2000 BMW 323i

FF Reputation: 1 SykSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks wrc_fan! That makes sense about the wheel size. I agree about the Duratec. Unfortunately I don't want or need another car, and have tried to sell the SVT with no luck. My goal is to get my foot in the door with this car and hopefully if I'm any good, I get sponsorships through my families contacts. Then I will start looking into different cars.

Are they using regular steel wheels? I will run up to my junkyard and pick up a set if they are. I know the wheels could be bent, someone used fix a flat, etc, etc. Thats why its good to know someone at Big O Tire that would be happy to throw them on the machine and check them out knowing I will be back for tires.

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The June 2009 edition of Grassroots Motorsports (magazine) has a nice article "Keeping Focus" about an SVT prepared for both NASA Spec Focus and Rally America. Not a lot of specific detail but enough info to offer some help. They use Team Dynamics Pro Rally 1's and stock Focus 15" alloys with Hancook Ventus RS20 185/60-15 rally tires (NASA's spec tire). Car is owned by Hampton Bridwell of Blackrock Rallysport. This issue has some good rallycross articles as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
^^ Yeah, I remember that issue having some good info.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
SykSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks Geezer. Just bought the back issue and decided to get the one year subscription since I was there.

Is there a decent rally magazine out there? I spent some time on Google and can't find any legitimate ones. I didn't see anything on RallyAmerica's site.

Ford Global Motorsports grabbed Ken Block, woo hoo! Maybe they will let him drive.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Grassroots motorsports is a super mag and you'll enjoy it. Join "Special Stage" if you haven't already done so. It's a great web site and forum. Some of the best American rallyist's, Rally America organizers, rally car builders and shop owners hang out there. If they can't answer your questions I doubt anyone can.

http://www.specialstage.com/
Old 01-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
SykSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I can already see the hours passing as I explore the sight. Looks like a lot of great info.

Tomorrow I'm going to pull the front rotor, hub, knuckle, etc. off a regular focus to see if it will fit the SVT so I can put on 15". The car only had 49k on it when it was rear ended so fingers are crossed. I will post it when I'm done if it works.

Has anyone heard of D2 Racing "Rally Series Coilovers"? I want to make sure they are worth the $1100 before I buy them. Just any info would be good.

Thanks again everyone-
Geezer you've been a great help!

Daniel
Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
SykSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

One other thing I forgot. I know for Rally America you need to either rivet or weld in a plate in place of the sunroof. Does anyone know if this required for RallyX? I tried reading the rules about it but the wording of it confused me more than helped.

Daniel
Old 01-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SykSVT View Post
One other thing I forgot. I know for Rally America you need to either rivet or weld in a plate in place of the sunroof. Does anyone know if this required for RallyX? I tried reading the rules about it but the wording of it confused me more than helped.

Daniel
Not required for rally cross, it has to be closed like side windows.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #19
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (67)
don't go w/ the D2 coilovers, IIRC, they are a really really thin strut. not beefy at all. if you do one RA event, they will break. Ur gonna want Hotbits or equivalent. I was toying w/ the ksport rally coils, but i've read horrible things about them on other forums

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #20
SykSVT
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks mlbbaseball! I tried finding negative things about D2 and couldn't find anything. Most people said they were "ok". As for the ksport's I read that the old style would leak, but the newer manufactured one's were much better. Your thoughts?

One other question for everyone. I can get ballistic 706 kevlar in sheets, and 1140 kevlar tow in 2" + rolls. Has anyone ever heard of anybody wrapping the weak front Foci suspension parts in kevlar? Just a thought!

Daniel

Bookmarks & Social Networks