2003 Ford Mustang GT Concept - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-02-2003, 02:50 AM   #41
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well mofocus.. it isn't even close to a mustang other than it has 4 wheels and is built by ford. There the similarity about ends. the mustang is front engine rear wheel drive. The GT ( I will call it a GT because Ford named it GT.. just like Ford named the taurus the taurus..is rear engine and rear wheel drive. The Ford GT is a totally different car, and they don't even claim to make it a copy of a GT40 even though it was the basis of the project. It is 13 inches longer, and has other acomadations to make it streetable. To compare it to a mustang is just plain wrong. They are not similar in almost all respects. You are right.. the GT is a supercar. And it will hold it's own to most anything the world will throw at it. Bravo Ford for finally having the guts to produce a car that is so totally apealing
ST crew #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2003, 11:19 AM   #42
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Lets quit calling it a GT. There's more than one Ford car that can be considered a GT. Theres the 'stang, The GT40, and the GT90.

Does anyone know how much the new Mustang GT will weigh?

Last edited by Infra3sv; 11-02-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:42 AM   #43
01CobaltTiburon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
How can you quit calling it a GT??? That's what Ford named it! They dropped the "40", it's no longer called a "GT40", because it is no longer only 40 inches tall (and those of you who are really into this car, know that's what the "40" part was for). It's simply the Ford GT. That's the official name Ford has given the car. End of story. That would be like saying that you can no longer call the Taurus a Taurus, or a Focus a Focus.

The Mustang "GT" is a trim level. You don't call the Mustang GT just a "GT". As vanace said, the Mustang GT and the Ford GT aren't even closely similar, except that they are both cars with four wheels and an engine. The Mustang GT differs from the base Mustang, or the Bullitt Mustang or the Mach 1 or the Cobra. They are simply all trim and performance packages. They are all still Mustangs. The Mustang GT has been around WAY longer than the Ford GT. Different cars, plain and simple. No relation at all.

Now, back on topic. Here is everything you wanted to know about the production version of the new Mustang:

2005 Mustang

I want I want I want I want I want I want I want

Last edited by 01CobaltTiburon; 11-02-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #44
Infra3sv
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 745
What I Drive: '03 hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Infra3sv Good Standing Member
Differences between Concept & Production Models
The word is that the production 2005 Mustang looks very similar to the concept cars with the following exceptions: There will be no hood scoops on the V-6 or GT models. The 2006 Cobra may get functional hood scoops. The production version will seat four. The side scoop won't be a scoop at all; it will be a scallop, and fully integrated into the side stamping. The roof will be standard stamped steel--no glass. The quarter panel will have glass instead of body colored insert--rear visibility would've been awful. The convertible won't get the rollbar, and the windshield will be taller. The taillights won't be as wide, and they will have a tri-cell design like 1999-2004 taillights. They will flash sequentially. The concept cars have 20" wheels, but these will only be offered on Cobras. The base model will have 16" wheels and GTs will have 18" wheels. The fuel door won't be on the back like on the concepts, but there will be a Mustang logo there. The fuel door will be on the side, and it won't be aluminum alloy.
The superchargers are not going to be on the GT. I am no longer excited.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:18 PM   #45
01CobaltTiburon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96
What I Drive: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

FF Reputation: 1 01CobaltTiburon Good Standing Member
There was never a supercharger on the Mustang GT, anyway.

It only came on the Cobra.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #46
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
Well I'm excited cuz I am getting the cobra!!!
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 11-02-2003, 02:49 PM   #47
SVT4ME

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Ah yes, the GT90. I REALLY liked that car. I thought it was a much better idea than the current GT. Took the basic style, purpose, and spirit of the classic GT40, but modified into a modern car. That thing was so cool - I saw it at the SF Auto Show a few years back and hung around that display for awhile. From what I remember they did have some development issues with the engine though, as it was essentially a couple of Ford engines spliced together. The "new" GT is too much like the original; yes, the original was and is very cool, but how imaginative is it to just rehash one of the greatest cars of all time? That's why the idea of updating the car into a "GT90" seemed much better to me. Oh well.

As for what the new Mustang will be like - once again, I refer you to the pictures I posted on page 1. Those are development cars out on testing. If you read Infra3sv's description of the new Mustang's supposed appearance, and then look at those pics, they seem to correspond to me. I'm still excited about it, though. It takes the proven mechanical aspects of the current Mustang and gives it a much better-looking exterior and (hopefully) an interior that is a lot less cheap.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #48
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidGrayZX5
How can you quit calling it a GT??? That's what Ford named it! They dropped the "40", it's no longer called a "GT40", because it is no longer only 40 inches tall (and those of you who are really into this car, know that's what the "40" part was for). It's simply the Ford GT.
Well, while its no longer 40 inches tall, the reason they renamed it was because of lisencing issues. Ford never copyrighted "GT-40" back when it came out. Later, an aftermarket company that produces parts for the GT-40 acquired the name. I think Ford came to them to re-aquire it, but they wanted too much money for it. So, Ford just decided to renamed.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:31 PM   #49
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
the new one was called GT40 for a long period of time till it got really close to the release dates, and Vanace those have to be the most ignorant comments iv seen here, apparenlty you are all arguing for the sake of arguing, wow i see the forum is right back to craptacular..... http://www.ford-gt.com/ http://www.ford-gt.com/gt/reborn.html the car also no longer has the 7.0 the 40 had in it now has a 5.4 w/ n eatonn SC on it, hmm where have i seen one of those b4?

http://www.ford-gt.com/gt/features.html

"The Ford GT is driven by an all-new, mid-engined powertrain producing 500 horsepower and 500 foot-pounds of torque. The engine architecture comes from Ford’s MOD engine family, which includes performance powertrains like the 390-horsepower 4.6-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 in the SVT Mustang Cobra and the 380-horsepower 5.4-liter SOHC supercharged V-8 in the SVT F-150 Lightning"

"The Ford GT engine features an all-new, aluminum block fitted with high-flow, four-valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshafts. To bear the stresses necessary to produce 500 horsepower, a forged-steel crankshaft, shot-peened H-beam connecting rods and forged aluminum pistons are used. “In total, 85 percent of the reciprocating parts are unique to the Ford GT,” says Hill. "

ok sounds like im going the other way right? wrong

http://www.stangnet.com/mustanggtconcept/

"The Tungsten Silver coupe and the Redline Red Metallic convertible are unmistakingly Mustang and thoroughly modern. Defining classic design cues aren’t amiss in these concepts which feature C-scoops in the sides, three-element tail lamps and the galloping pony in the center of the grille. The amply satisfying appearance of the concepts are balanced by the gritty 13.8-inch vented Brembo® disc brakes and the supercharged 400-horsepower Modular 4.6-liter V-8."

hmm mustang 4.6 and supercharged putting out 400 ponies
GT 5.4 supercharged and putting out 500 ponies

theres also the fact that i was basiclly reffering to in the begiinng is the styling techniques........they both use the modern/retro techniques to make the car appear both at once and yet completely modern as possible

kinna funny they are coming out around the same time also, both use similar engine types, both have similar breaking systems, similar styling, similar interior, and yes the GT is midengine, faster, and so much more, the mustang is a toned down version, the avg buer of a mustang cant afford the luxurys of the GT or want that much race prep for the daily drive...........need i go further?
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 AM   #50
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Vanace those have to be the most ignorant comments iv seen here
yes oh knower of all... I should have known better that to match wits with you. If you take your list of both cars specs, and you then come to the conclusion that they are the same basic car, then go for it. I do beleive from the rest of the comments on this thread, you are in the minority with that thought. But hey.. if it floats your boat, then more power to you. We all have opinions
ST crew #18

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->