Researching: Spray Bomb Painting : Proper Techniques. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 65832
What I Drive: 2002 Satin Black SE

FF Reputation: 6 02Zetechse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thankyou Norcal, That sounds very true about being overused . I am planning a OD Green Flat/Gloss (undecided) with Satin roof ,hood and Trunk. In every forum i read they say with good prep a rattle can will still last a long time .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
hamburglar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70864
What I Drive: 2002 Infra Red SVT (for sale)

FF Reputation: 1 hamburglar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have a bumper and hood I need to paint. Would it be terribly unwise to try painting it myself until I can afford to get it professionally done?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

IMO, Do your research before you Try to paint anything by yourself. There are a few companies that offer automotive spray paints. Try Alsa Corps "Killer Cans" they are a can with hardener in it . If you chose to Go the Cheap Route Brands I recommend are Rustoleum and Valspar . use dish Soap and water to wipe down the hood to get the dirt and wax off . you want to Scuff your clear coat using approx 200 Grit Wet/Dry sand paper. Wipe it down again with mineral spirits or paint thinner and allow to dry. Spray a Light Coat of high build primer ( IIRC: Rustoleum brand) It will fill in the Scuff Marks. Let the paint dry several hours. Use 400-600 grit to sand the primer coat smooth .

Wash the hood down thoroughly to get the dirt and sanding dust off. Spray a several more light coats and let dry . You should not cover the old paint completely in one coat ,If so you are spraying the paint too thick . try moving the can further away or move more quickly across the hood. After those coats dry wet sand using 1000+ grit to make the surface glassy smooth as rattle cans tend to show every scratch /scuff below it. If you are OCD I recommend going all the way to 2000 grit paper in your sanding. Now to the color coat, A color coat will likely have unevenness to it if you do not have enough coats on it. Depending on the color and brand of paint you may need more or less coats. there will be over spray from the can of paint. Something I do when using aerosol paints is use a box fan to suck the air from my workspace to keep the paint cloud from settling on my painted piece.

For the bumper I would use a adhesion promoter to make the paint stick to the plastic .

I have read that you can claybar the piece to get the overspray off to make the hood smooth.

Anytime you get something professionally painted they will charge you a little more for stripping a spray painted piece.

just my 02C
Old 12-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
hamburglar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 70864
What I Drive: 2002 Infra Red SVT (for sale)

FF Reputation: 1 hamburglar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What if I get black hood and black bumper and want to paint it Infra Red? Do I have to take off the black paint first?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Zetechse View Post
Thankyou Norcal, That sounds very true about being overused . I am planning a OD Green Flat/Gloss (undecided) with Satin roof ,hood and Trunk. In every forum i read they say with good prep a rattle can will still last a long time .
The paint in a rattle can is no differant than paint in brush form. IDK why so many people think that paint in a spray can is cheaper paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
I have a bumper and hood I need to paint. Would it be terribly unwise to try painting it myself until I can afford to get it professionally done?
Depend on what you want for an out come. Ive used rattle cans on my trunk lid and door. I took my time and finished it with rubbing compound, you cant tell that I used a spray can.

Quote:
IMO, Do your research before you Try to paint anything by yourself. There are a few companies that offer automotive spray paints. Try Alsa Corps "Killer Cans" they are a can with hardener in it . If you chose to Go the Cheap Route Brands I recommend are Rustoleum and Valspar . use dish Soap and water to wipe down the hood to get the dirt and wax off . you want to Scuff your clear coat using approx 200 Grit Wet/Dry sand paper. Wipe it down again with mineral spirits or paint thinner and allow to dry. Spray a Light Coat of high build primer ( IIRC: Rustoleum brand) It will fill in the Scuff Marks. Let the paint dry several hours. Use 400-600 grit to sand the primer coat smooth .

Wash the hood down thoroughly to get the dirt and sanding dust off. Spray a several more light coats and let dry . You should not cover the old paint completely in one coat ,If so you are spraying the paint too thick . try moving the can further away or move more quickly across the hood. After those coats dry wet sand using 1000+ grit to make the surface glassy smooth as rattle cans tend to show every scratch /scuff below it. If you are OCD I recommend going all the way to 2000 grit paper in your sanding. Now to the color coat, A color coat will likely have unevenness to it if you do not have enough coats on it. Depending on the color and brand of paint you may need more or less coats. there will be over spray from the can of paint. Something I do when using aerosol paints is use a box fan to suck the air from my workspace to keep the paint cloud from settling on my painted piece.

For the bumper I would use a adhesion promoter to make the paint stick to the plastic .

I have read that you can claybar the piece to get the overspray off to make the hood smooth.

Anytime you get something professionally painted they will charge you a little more for stripping a spray painted piece.

just my 02C
Prefect advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
What if I get black hood and black bumper and want to paint it Infra Red? Do I have to take off the black paint first?
I wouldnt, just use gray primer first.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

I have to disagree with Norcal on using grey primer to go from black to red .Although your results will prolly be unnoticeably different I would use the Red Oxide Primer. Its a red/brown primer . Either way its done will work perfectly fine. The red paint may cover better on the Red Oxide Primer.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
norcalfocus01
Registered

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
I have to disagree with Norcal on using grey primer to go from black to red .Although your results will prolly be unnoticeably different I would use the Red Oxide Primer. Its a red/brown primer . Either way its done will work perfectly fine. The red paint may cover better on the Red Oxide Primer.
The reason you want to use a differant color primer, is so when paint the finish coat on, if you cant see the primer, you know youve put enough paint on.

Hi end auto painters used to use red oxide primer, under yellow, blue, black. Just so they knew they had put an even full coat on the car.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

I didnt know that .hope you don't mind if I add that to my OP cause that is good to know.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #19
norcalfocus01
Registered

Quote:
I didnt know that .hope you don't mind if I add that to my OP cause that is good to know.
No problem. Please go ahead and do so.

Kinda of a side bar, but I seen paint specs for bridges that say red for the 1st coat, yellow for 2nd coat, and blue for the 3rd. Just so the job inspector knows that enough paint had been put on the bridge.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #20
02Zetechse
Focus Fanatic

Great selection of paints for good prices

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraypaintdepot/

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
diy paint , rattle can , spray bomb , spray paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.