Alternator Help - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-31-2003, 08:42 PM   #11
htrfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 Premium, Zetec 5spd. Liquid

FF Reputation: 1 htrfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Grounding was mentioned before, but here it is again. If you're running that 600w amp, I'd imagine you've got pretty heavy (I'd hope atleast 8-4ga) power cable, but what did you do for the ground cable? Not just between the amp and the chassis, but between the battery and chassis? 600w amp (provided it will actually produce 600w) with a cap, I think you're trying to say .5 farad (caps cannot be rated in watts), shouldn't dim that bad.....

About the jump starting being bad for the computer, improper connection of the cables can be bad for any electronic device on the electrical system. If you follow the proper hookup procedure (usually included with the cables) and use the chassis ground instead of the battery ground on the donor car ( I think, double check with the instructions) it should be fine.... AND, if you do it right, the big spark (and electrical spike with it) when you make the last connection should be minimized.

btw. A stronger battery will not prevent your lights from dimming while the car's running. The lights dim when the system voltage drops from the 13.4v created by the alternator, down to the 12.3 (approx.) that the battery puts out. Granted, a weak battery will allow the voltage to drop even further, and the lights dim even more, but even the strongest battery won't prevent them from dimming at all...

Last edited by htrfocus; 10-31-2003 at 08:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2003, 09:11 PM   #12
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the electrical capacity of cars is reaching the max for 12 volt systems, so in a few years cars will start having 42 volt systems to handle the greater loads from all the electronic devices cars have now days. It is suspect that the alternator is being over loaded with your amps. But check the gauge of wiring like has been suggested. To small a gauge wire and you could catch your car on fire....
ST crew #18
Old 10-31-2003, 09:12 PM   #13
fast5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1171
What I Drive: 02 Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 fast5 Good Standing Member
all you need is a cap and youll have no more problems !trust us we know!
02 Focus ZX5- FC race headers, AEM Intake, Bosal FP, Bosal exhaustw/ DTM tip, FC pulleys, B&M short shift, Superchips, FR Stage 2 cams and cam gears, Sound system w/subs, SVT F&R seats, 1.6 drop, power slot rotors w/greenstuff pads, ZEX Wet kit w/purge, 17,s ridin' clean, SVT front bumper, Wings West sides & back clip
--Never Underestimate--
Old 11-01-2003, 12:56 AM   #14
focituner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 628
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3 (DKG1)

FF Reputation: 1 focituner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Do you have any ideas on the capacitor?
Such as what kind to get?
how much it should be able to store?
What is the best placement in the system?

Thnx ahead of time.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:45 PM   #15
htrfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 Premium, Zetec 5spd. Liquid

FF Reputation: 1 htrfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Focituner, I'd head off to any electical / electronic place (not Radio Shack, they won't have it)and look for a 16 or 18v (can't remember which is the std.) 1farad cap. If you wanna get a name brand one, it's all the same sh**, just a different pile. 1 farad is 1 farad. As for where to put it, they usually end up out by the amps because that's where the power cables are getting split up anyway. It's not a big deal if you wanna put it out in the engine bay or somewhere remote, but just remember that like any other high current application, the longer the cables, the fatter the cables. If you wanna put it near the amps, (probably the best idea) 8ga cable is fine, as long as the leads between the cap and the power cable are no more than a few feet long.

Just incase you're not familiar with how it should be wired, you wanna run it in parallel with the power cables, ie. positive lead of the cap to the positive power cable, negative lead of the cap to the negative power cable (or ground). Oh, charging/discharging. Grab any 12v device, a light bulb works great. When you're all set to hook this baby up, hook up one of the leads to the cap, and connect (temporarily) the light bulb between the other terminal of the cap, and the lead that should go there. The light will come on, and slowly dim until it goes out. When the light's out, it means the cap is charged, and you can safely remove the light and connect the other lead to the cap. If you just hook it up, you'll get a nice big spark, and probably take out the fuse for your power cable. If you ever need to disconnect the battery cables, you'll need to re-charge the cap before you reconnect the battery cables, or again you'll get fireworks. I always leave a note in the car whenever it goes into the shop, so they know if they need to disconnect the battery to work on the car. If you need to remove the cap, you'll probably want to discharge it. Just remove the power leads, and take your handy-dandy light bulb across the two terminals. Again, light will come on, and then dim until the it is completely discharged. It'd be an awfull suprise to stick your fingers across that thing when it's got a full charge.

Have fun!

Last edited by htrfocus; 11-01-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:20 AM   #16
focituner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 628
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3 2.3 (DKG1)

FF Reputation: 1 focituner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Thanks a lot. I will be sure to do that. Now i just have to get one.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #17
sa_pyro_ne
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1437
What I Drive: 2000 Ranger V6 4.0L 4x4 XLT Ext Cab

FF Reputation: 4 sa_pyro_ne Good Standing Member
I don't know if you've already bought a cap but most likely it won't help you in your situation. the cap isn't creating power. only the alternator can do that by
converting mechanical power to electrical power. the alternator generates the voltage that the cap tries to maintain, if the
cap discharges to maintain voltage to the amp, the alternator must work
to recharge it. so there's still the same strain on the alternator and electrical system. Things that would help are upgrading the wire gauge and ground spots for the 3 main wires (alt to battery battery to engine andbattery to chassis) to 2 or 4 gauge wire. Make sure no connections on the battery are corroded, if none of that helps and your still having headlight dimming go to autozone and have them test and check out your battery and alternator to make sure they're ok, your battery could be the problem, it could have a dead cell in it or something, the optima battery is a good idea if you have often voltage drops, an alt if good if you have constant underpowering/electrical problems, if it's rare occasion that you get a bad voltage drop then a cap would help. good luck.

- Scott

Last edited by sa_pyro_ne; 11-06-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #18
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
if cap protects the rest of the electrical system from sudden drops in charge rather than the battery being the device that takes the hit, when the amp calls for more power than can be provided by the battery at one time, the lights would dim until the alternator can in turn replenish the voltage supply, with a capacitor, the excess charge is stored down line from the battery, when the amp calls for more power than the battery is sending, the voltage is drawn from the cap rather than the battery so that the lights won't dim and the battery will then replace the caps lost charge at its own pace (which is fairly quick). Its kind of like having a mini battery down the line, when its full the load on the battery is normal, when its not full, the load is only slightly higher than normal and not enough to dim the lights.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:58 PM   #19
2003zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1562
What I Drive: 2003 zx3 power premium, twilight blue mettalic clearcoat

FF Reputation: 1 2003zx3 Good Standing Member
just out of curiosity, how many amps are the alternators in a 2003 zx3? thanx
Old 11-06-2003, 07:19 PM   #20
awebb
Focus Addict

Fan#: 259
What I Drive: 2003 ZX3 Sangria Red

FF Reputation: 1 awebb Good Standing Member
Does anyone know where the Battery/Electrical system is grounded to the chasis in the focus?

Speed: AEM Short Ram Intake, Focus Central Race Header, Custom 2.25" Header-Back Exhaust.

Looks: Red Shorty Antenna, Superblue headlights.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.