Duratec Intake Manifold Removal and PCV hose replacement - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
blk_04_zx3_2.3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 14976
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 blk_04_zx3_2.3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did anyone else having this failed hose have a problem with the idle being too high or get a lean code? It took me a while before I realized what was causing all of that.

This job is a serious PITA. I wish I'd have done what warneej did--I sure don't feel good about the new Ford piece I put back on there.

There's no telling what all got sucked up by that damned crack. My intake manifold was all gunked up. The tumble flaps were pretty caked too. It took a while to clean it all up. Hope there's no long term damage.

I highly recommend putting something sticky/gooey on your socket--a dab of grease should do it--when reinstalling bolts. I dropped one and it took a while to figure out which bottomless pit the thing disappeared down!

I hope the next time I have to do this, I'll remember what I did before. ;)
Don't have the ZX3 anymore--now it's an 04 ZTW 2.3 K&N intake, 2.5" Trubendz do-it-yourself kit with 4" Magnapak muffler. Xcal3 from Focus Sport. Lot's of dirt and no time to bother with it! Wagon--The Thinking Man's SUV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
NAD23ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59327
What I Drive: 2004 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 9 NAD23ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The pcv hose isn't the worst when it comes to quality, it's not gold but it's also just a hose. There are a vast majority that have them last quite awhile and then of course polar opposites. If it lasts 100k then hell I'm pleased (but I do have lower standards) I already have a new one sitting around.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
blueoval23
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46630
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 blueoval23 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_04_zx3_2.3 View Post
Did anyone else having this failed hose have a problem with the idle being too high or get a lean code? It took me a while before I realized what was causing all of that.
I still think its wierd but my car ran great, no codes, no wierd idle, same great mileage, same performance, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAD23ZX3 View Post
The pcv hose isn't the worst when it comes to quality, it's not gold but it's also just a hose. There are a vast majority that have them last quite awhile and then of course polar opposites. If it lasts 100k then hell I'm pleased (but I do have lower standards) I already have a new one sitting around.
You sound like the wife whose husband always beats her, but its ok because "he loves me".

The hose is a poorely engineered piece of shit. Just admit it. I have 20 year old hoses on my bronco that still work, including the PCV hose which BTW I could replace in about 10 minutes and that includes the time to open my first beer, finish it while working and go for a second.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #14
NAD23ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59327
What I Drive: 2004 Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 9 NAD23ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval23 View Post
I still think its wierd but my car ran great, no codes, no wierd idle, same great mileage, same performance, etc...

You sound like the wife whose husband always beats her, but its ok because "he loves me".

The hose is a poorely engineered piece of shit. Just admit it. I have 20 year old hoses on my bronco that still work, including the PCV hose which BTW I could replace in about 10 minutes and that includes the time to open my first beer, finish it while working and go for a second.
True, but it's not an overwhelmingly occurring problem, not everyone encounters it, and plenty of different cars suffer from this part. I'm surprised there aren't more actual valves getting clogged/broken and people just having to replace the hose. My only reason for getting a new one is already having the engine out. Well that and I broke the hose getting it out.

Don't get me started though on the pain that is FWD. I'd much rather argue about the engineering on that than a hose.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
blk_04_zx3_2.3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 14976
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 blk_04_zx3_2.3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Don't get me started though on the pain that is FWD. I'd much rather argue about the engineering on that than a hose

Amen! I don't know how many times I've looked at the manual for an R&R procedure and said, "You gotta pull WHAT?!
Don't have the ZX3 anymore--now it's an 04 ZTW 2.3 K&N intake, 2.5" Trubendz do-it-yourself kit with 4" Magnapak muffler. Xcal3 from Focus Sport. Lot's of dirt and no time to bother with it! Wagon--The Thinking Man's SUV.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtadd162 View Post
im waiting for mine to go...
i dont know about you Evan or anybody else with the Cosi Mani but with that freakin plumbing thread i could literally only get that tap to go in halfway, i didnt want to crack anything...so rather than a short hose that the instructions call for...i just have a longer one :-D ...
Yeah i had the same issue with the hose fitting, it seems as though every piece of hardware that came with the manifold was either the wrong thread pattern or too long. My first fix was with a longer hose but that ripped as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_04_zx3_2.3 View Post

This job is a serious PITA. I wish I'd have done what warneej did--I sure don't feel good about the new Ford piece I put back on there.

There's no telling what all got sucked up by that damned crack. My intake manifold was all gunked up. The tumble flaps were pretty caked too. It took a while to clean it all up. Hope there's no long term damage.

I highly recommend putting something sticky/gooey on your socket--a dab of grease should do it--when reinstalling bolts. I dropped one and it took a while to figure out which bottomless pit the thing disappeared down!

I hope the next time I have to do this, I'll remember what I did before. ;)
I didn't get a code or anything and the symptoms were different both times. The first time my engine started running like I had a massive vacuum leak, although I couldn't find one. Symptoms included idling like I had a massive cam, terrible gas mileage, lean spikes, etc. The second time the car ran just fine however it just made that super loud whining noise.

When I pulled off my stock manifold (the PCV hose was still working fine mind you) mine too was caked with goo. I think its what comes through the EGR that causes that. I deleted that in my tune.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
tetra
pwned

Fan#: 60621
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 10 tetra Great Standing Member
Definitely awesome thread dude! I always wondered what the procedure was like and what it looked like removed.. So it doesn't seem like the installation of a Cosworth IM is THAT bad.. Although warneej might think otherwise on the matter lol
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #18
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Memberwarneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
The intake manifold install was the easy part

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
blueoval23
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46630
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 blueoval23 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra View Post
Definitely awesome thread dude! I always wondered what the procedure was like and what it looked like removed.. So it doesn't seem like the installation of a Cosworth IM is THAT bad.. Although warneej might think otherwise on the matter lol
Assuming the cosworth is well engineered the install should take like 6 hours tops.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #20
mtadd162
Proudly Daily Driven

Fan#: 47890
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 9 mtadd162 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
The intake manifold install was the easy part
yea no kidding...getting at some of those bolts to torque em down under the fuel rail was kinda tricky though
-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
SSR - Silver Sedan Revolution Member #1
Cams Installed, great made my car into a VTAK

Bookmarks & Social Networks