Duratec Intake Manifold Removal and PCV hose replacement - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
blueoval23
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46630
What I Drive: 2004 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 blueoval23 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Duratec Intake Manifold Removal and PCV hose replacement

So my Focus was recently making an odd noise. At idle it had a whining noise and after shutting off the engine it would hiss/wine for several seconds. I tinkered with it for a while and decided it was a vacuum leak but after spending hours under the hood poking around at everything vacuum related I came up with nothing. Short on time, I took it to Ford who told me the PCV hose was cracked and it was going to cost $600 to fix. I told them to order me the part and told them I'd come get the car. So I paid $138 for diagnostic and $40 for the PCV hose.

FYI, my car is a 2004 ZX3 2.3L manual transmission.

I found this page very helpful due to the diagrams showing you where all the bolts are

http://duratec.wikispaces.com/modification-cosworthIM

There is a video in this thread and the noise this car is making is identical to mine. I'm assuming it was the same problem.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...fold%22&page=2

So this weekend I went to swap the PCV hose, which is much more work then I had anticipated and I see why Ford wanted $600Ö I wasn't intending on doing a full write up on here so the pictures aren't a complete how to but show some of the issues I encountered.

Also I cant guarantee that my methods are by any means the "easiest" but it worked.

There are a total of 8 bolts holding the intake manifold onto the head/block. 7 of them are near the intake runners just as you would expect and there is one that you access from under the car that goes into the block. All of the bolts are fairly obvious except one and it is located between intake runners 2 and 3 (assuming the pistons are labeled 1-4 in order). To get to this bolt I had to remove the following:

- Electric fan - 2 electrical connectors and 2 clips, pretty easy and straightforward, the fan comes out of the bottom of the car not through the top.

- Cover of the plastic grill and the plastic grill (the one with the turn signals in it).

- Remove the lower radiator support (2 10mm bolts on each side of the car, 4 total) and then use a floor jack to lower the radiator and AC condenser about 2"

Then I used a 12" and an 8" extension and a 10mm socket to remove the final bolt in the intake manifold. The pictures below should help to explain this. Also the link above shows pictures of the intake manifold removed so you can visualize it.

Once the bolts are out and all the electrical connectors and vacuum hoses are disconnected the manifold comes out pretty easy.

In this picture you can see the black box on the block with the yellow/whiteish plastic hose outlet on it, this is where the PCV hose connects.

And here's the stupid hose that caused all my problems. Thanks for burying that on me Ford!

While I had it apart I flushed the inside of the intake manifold with some degreaser and warm water.

All back together

Its all back together and working fine, then noise is gone and I managed not to F up anything else. Total repair time took me about 6 hours, mostly because I didnít know about that bolt between the 2 and 3 intake runners and then once I learned it was there had to figure out how to get to it! Itís a pretty tough repair and I'd say you have a be a pretty competent mechanic to take on this one. Oh and your fingers will be cut up from working in all the tiny little places you have to get to.

So thatís about it for me. Like I said its not a complete write up but details the issues I ran into which is the most important part I suppose. Hopefully this helps someone save $500 by not having Ford do the repair. Good luck if you have to do this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Informative. I kinda want to do this over the next weekend as preventative before winter.

I am interested though, how was the condition of the PCV? Was it still operational or was it pretty clogged? And the hose, was it full of oil? How many miles are on the car?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Hah. Done this twice. I hate that hose.

I just deleted mine now finally.

I removed the entire radiator support and it made it super easy. Also my fans came out through the top but I'm sure they can go down too.

That whining noise is what I was txting you about the other day Jet. Sounded like a fire alarm or whatever you call it. The thing the station blares at noon and 6pm and when there is a fire.

Great write up

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
good thread, informative, good pictures,
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
blueoval23
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
Hah. Done this twice. I hate that hose.

I just deleted mine now finally.

I removed the entire radiator support and it made it super easy. Also my fans came out through the top but I'm sure they can go down too.

That whining noise is what I was txting you about the other day Jet. Sounded like a fire alarm or whatever you call it. The thing the station blares at noon and 6pm and when there is a fire.

Great write up
How did you delete it? Is this SMOG legal? I live in CA and have worry about that garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
Informative. I kinda want to do this over the next weekend as preventative before winter.

I am interested though, how was the condition of the PCV? Was it still operational or was it pretty clogged? And the hose, was it full of oil? How many miles are on the car?
The car just turned 60K. I drove it several days with the leak and it had no noticeable affect on power or mileage.

I really didnt look at the PCV because I didn't know what to look for in assessing if there was anything wrong with it. If you look at the picture of the cracked hose you can see signs of moisture where the crack is, so there was definetly some oil going through it but not a lot, there was no oil leaking out of it, no oil dripped on the ground or anything. There was some slight oil buildup in the intake manifold itself but no pooling anywhere. I might kill some one if the PCV goes out soon!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Huh. So I guess its safe to assume that if your car makes that noise, its the PCV hose. Having two people experience it anyway. Very good info. This should be made a sticky for sure. At least now if I hear that farting noise, I will know exactly what it is. haha
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
blueoval23
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, if it whines at idle and if you shut off the engine and it hisses for a few seconds, I'd say its more than likely the PCV hose. Oh and if someone knows of a cheaper source, that would be nice to post up, because I felt like a chump paying Ford $40 for a 6" formed house with 2 clamps on it
Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 200 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
That hose is a piece of shit too. Be ready to replace it again. I bought a $10 hose from AutoZone and made it work however the Cosworth IM requires a different hose be used. Regardless that one lasted like a year on the dot too so who knows.

To delete it probably isn't smog legal but its like impossible to tell. I capped the intake on the intake manifold and ran a dump hose from the valve. Then I capped the spot on the air hose and put a filter on the valve cover. This made it independent from the air induction system. I won't have to worry about it causing a vacuum leak anytime soon

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
blueoval23
Focus Enthusiast

sounds promising... I guess if (or when) it fails again I'll look into replacing it with a better quality hose, maybe some of the high mileage goodyear stuff.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
mtadd162
Proudly Daily Driven

Fan#: 47890
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 9 mtadd162 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
im waiting for mine to go...
i dont know about you Evan or anybody else with the Cosi Mani but with that freakin plumbing thread i could literally only get that tap to go in halfway, i didnt want to crack anything...so rather than a short hose that the instructions call for...i just have a longer one :-D ...
-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
SSR - Silver Sedan Revolution Member #1
Cams Installed, great made my car into a VTAK

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->