Sad day for this bird.... - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #71
BigRed03
( o Y o )
 
BigRed03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Fan#: 32177
Location: Ft. Laudy, Afghanistan
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

Posts: 5,549
FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusalaska View Post
AS for the 305... They quit using the 305 as the stock v8 engine in the 1992 cars. ALL 1993+ cars W/ v8 are LT1 engines. You can fool some people here on the boards , but not me. The car in the vid is a 1993+ There is no way you will beat out a LT1 Bird without having a posi diff, boosted, and N20 Focus w/ Drag radials.
WTF are you smoking? Here is a random google searched 1993 camaro picture:


Please tell me how that looks like the car in the next lane? Please, watch the video next time and think before you speak. The 305s are DOG slow and add auto on top of that! I drove a 1983 Mustang GT through high school. We had just rebuilt it and put a mild cam in there, along with dual exhaust (from factory had a single 2.5" y-pipe for a 5.0L v-8 before....), and the BEST that thing could do was 15.4 in August in South Florida...I could clearly see an ST beating an auto 302/305.
__________________
BigRed03 is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #72
CaysE
EDM Specialist
 
CaysE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Fan#: 22059
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: Blown red SVT

Posts: 6,581
Points 15,564, Level 80
Points: 15,564, Level: 80 Points: 15,564, Level: 80 Points: 15,564, Level: 80
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 80 CaysE Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusalaska View Post
...Believe me i know my cars...
There's always room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusalaska View Post
...You can fool some people here on the boards , but not me...
Only person you fooled is yourself. I could tell by the wheels and headlights as soon as I saw it that it's a thirdgen.

CaysE is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #73
tpivette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Fan#: 69410
Location: Newark, DE
What I Drive: just an old chevy

Posts: 36
FF Reputation: 1 tpivette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow... there is soooooo much misinformation about GM V8s in this thread. let me see if i can sort some of it out

the 91/92 firebirds (which is what you raced) only had a few engines offered those years. heres the breakdown of power output and performance at the track:

- 2.8L V6 (LH0) : 140hp/170tq, 17s or worse
- 5.0L V8 (L03) : 170hp/240tq, low 16s
- 5.0L V8 (LB9) : 205hp/295tq w auto, low 15s
- 5.0L V8 (LB9) : 225hp/300tq w manual, high 14s
- 5.7L V8 (L98) : 235hp/335tq auto only, mid 14s

after seeing your 1/8 mile time (10.6), doing a 1/4 mile conversion puts you at roughly a 16.4. as you can see from the above chart, it would seem as though you beat a V6 firebird. theres really no way you couldve beat a V8 equipped thirdgen by as much as you did unless the car was totally clapped out (which you said it sounded nice so it really couldnt have been). you now also know the reason why he wouldnt pop his hood... hed been caught lying about what he had

moving on to LT1s. my ex GFs bone stock, 112k mile 94' Formula went 14.0 at 100mph. LT1s are easy low 14 sec cars... most can crack 13s with good drivers 100% stock. unless the guy behind the wheel doesnt know what hes doing, or the opti is bad or something, theres just no way anyone is running high 14s in one. certainly a mid 16 sec Focus couldnt have beaten one either

anyway, im not trying to take anything away from your win, as you obviously beat the firebird. just wanting to shed some light on the 3rdgen/4thgen cars
tpivette is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #74
drosado15
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Fan#: 63457
Location: Pompano Beach Florida, FL
What I Drive: 01 Black zx3, 06 Pearl White Titan

Posts: 521
FF Reputation: 3 drosado15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJslurp1200 View Post
Hey man... the 3rd gen 305 V8 Firebirds were like a 15 sec car... so while it's not exactly bragging material...They really were slow...And You don't have to look under the hood to know what a V8 sounds like coming out of an aftermarket exhaust... I've been around V8 and muscle cars all my life since I was in a stroller so I know EXACTLY what a v8 sounds like...

And no further proof is needed of me beating a 305 Firebird if you simply just watch the video... again beating it wasn't really much of any kind of bragging rights when you find out the actual performance those cars gave was dog shat anyways... It was just that much more entertaining making the kill due to the guy boasting and thinking his car was invincible in the company of good looking women! LOL!

As for the 4th gen firebird formula that my buddy owns that I have raced and won... It It's a LT1 w/auto and I will get him to come out to the track and I will record it and upload to youtube (just like the video in the original post) for all to see!



I know it might be hard to imagine a Focus with only an intake winning... But I'm driving a torquey 2.3L ST which with a 3:82 final drive ratio pulls pretty hard through the first few gears...



no worry's! Atleast you moved on up and got a Focus! LOL!
I was in town past weekend for Howlscream. Was on Highway and a i hate to say this you might of seen it on the track before he was tagged for the track any how. A Nice Honda Civic Sedanish? Lol Silver Had a nice Rack on the roof black rims. Outside of the Car was CLEAN. Any how he wanted to race on the Highway Right Before Bearss Ave, Smoked his ass. Guess he was all show. AUTOTRAGIC Zx3 FTW
drosado15 is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #75
theheat
I Nom Cones
 
theheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Fan#: 59123
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: 2008 Vermillion Red S Coupe

Posts: 2,599
FF Reputation: 3 theheat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusalaska View Post
As I said i my last post " good v6 kill " you said yourself you didn't see under the hood. The guy was leading you on over how he had a v8. Unless you have proof, than you beat a v6. With the SLOWEST V8 LT1 you are still pushing 275 HP / 325TQ. If it was a 1997+ LT1 the have 10 more HP / 10 TQ. All cars from 1993 -2002 are 4th gen cars. Third gen were 1982-1992. Believe me i know my cars. NO stock focus with SRI only will beat a 1993+ F-Body. ( unless it is only running on 6 cylinders )
stop being a douche
there is no reason for steve to lie about what he raced, he saw it, its in a video, so get over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpivette View Post
Wow... there is soooooo much misinformation about GM V8s in this thread. let me see if i can sort some of it out

the 91/92 firebirds (which is what you raced) only had a few engines offered those years. heres the breakdown of power output and performance at the track:

- 2.8L V6 (LH0) : 140hp/170tq, 17s or worse
- 5.0L V8 (L03) : 170hp/240tq, low 16s
- 5.0L V8 (LB9) : 205hp/295tq w auto, low 15s
- 5.0L V8 (LB9) : 225hp/300tq w manual, high 14s
- 5.7L V8 (L98) : 235hp/335tq auto only, mid 14s

after seeing your 1/8 mile time (10.6), doing a 1/4 mile conversion puts you at roughly a 16.4. as you can see from the above chart, it would seem as though you beat a V6 firebird. theres really no way you couldve beat a V8 equipped thirdgen by as much as you did unless the car was totally clapped out (which you said it sounded nice so it really couldnt have been). you now also know the reason why he wouldnt pop his hood... hed been caught lying about what he had

moving on to LT1s. my ex GFs bone stock, 112k mile 94' Formula went 14.0 at 100mph. LT1s are easy low 14 sec cars... most can crack 13s with good drivers 100% stock. unless the guy behind the wheel doesnt know what hes doing, or the opti is bad or something, theres just no way anyone is running high 14s in one. certainly a mid 16 sec Focus couldnt have beaten one either

anyway, im not trying to take anything away from your win, as you obviously beat the firebird. just wanting to shed some light on the 3rdgen/4thgen cars
those are 1/4 mile times.... 1/8 mile is different.....

i don't doubt that the car in the video probably would have killed him in a 1/4 mile, it probably didn't get into its power band on such a short track.... the focus isn't a straight lane car, but with the d23 the short track provides a nice advantage w/ the hp/tq combo those cars have.... the sub '93 bird he raced is 1 - heavier, which means that it takes longer to get up and going and 2 - if it was auto then it fails at life anyway!!!!

i don't see why you guys are trying to bash his win, FJ is over there 8===>
__________________
Team Duratec # 219
2008 Coupe S:
Born on 12/17/2007
theheat is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #76
tpivette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Fan#: 69410
Location: Newark, DE
What I Drive: just an old chevy

Posts: 36
FF Reputation: 1 tpivette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheat View Post
those are 1/4 mile times.... 1/8 mile is different.....

i don't doubt that the car in the video probably would have killed him in a 1/4 mile, it probably didn't get into its power band on such a short track.... the focus isn't a straight lane car, but with the d23 the short track provides a nice advantage w/ the hp/tq combo those cars have.... the sub '93 bird he raced is 1 - heavier, which means that it takes longer to get up and going and 2 - if it was auto then it fails at life anyway!!!!

i don't see why you guys are trying to bash his win, FJ is over there 8===>
i never said he didnt win. in fact, i congratulated him at the end of my post. however, i made attempt to inform the members here about the cars in question that were discussed in this thread (high 14s from a stock LT1... are you insane???)

4cyls arent known for their low end... V8s, however, are known for it which shouldve helped the firebird (if thats what it actually had under the hood) in a short 1/8 mile race. if anything, the focus wouldve been the faster car from a roll. i calculated his 1/4 mile E/T based on his 1/8 mile run, and came up with a 16.4. while not 100% accurate, it is pretty close (ive done this on my numerous 1/4 mile runs... using my 1/8 mile data on the slip and doing the math, it comes out very close to the actual full 1/4 run). take the 1/8 mile time and multiply by 1.55 to get approx what youd turn in the full 1/4

any motor in the aforementioned firebird has an extremely low powerband (5000rpm and the party's over) so the whole arguement that it maybe didnt get into its powerband falls flat. also, the bird shouldve gotten off the line quicker due to its low end torque and RWD platform. the focus, on the other hand, would have the opposite effect... a higher powerband and the spinning off-the-line characteristcs of FWD. this is why most 4cyl cars like to go from a rolling start during street encounters vs running from a stop (AWD cars nonewithstanding). the focus's lazy 2.4 sec 60ft times mirror this, and prove that those kinds of cars just dont launch well

again, its obvious the focus won, however, i just dont think the car he was up against had a V8
tpivette is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #77
theheat
I Nom Cones
 
theheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Fan#: 59123
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: 2008 Vermillion Red S Coupe

Posts: 2,599
FF Reputation: 3 theheat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
oh and focusalaska, not to be a dick or anything, but if you are trying to compare what your focus can do(im going to assume you have manual because i do, and if you have automatic then you REALLY can't compare cars)to what his can do.....

his '05 ST has the d23, 2.3 liter v4
ours(yes mine too) have the d20, 2.0 liter v4
his has 151bhp and 154btq
ours have 140bhp and 136btq(not that mine is still stock ;))

^ good points, i thought you were talking about if he was on a 1/4 mile track.....

but is that for manual or autotragic cars? because if the firebird wasn't able to hold some rpms before launch then he was basically dead in the water.... he could have powerbraked to overcome that, but if he was a newb then he probably didn't do that.....
__________________
Team Duratec # 219
2008 Coupe S:
Born on 12/17/2007
theheat is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #78
DJslurp1200
Focus Fanatic
 
DJslurp1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45538
Location: Clearwater, FL, United States
What I Drive: 02' Mustang GT Premium Convertible

Posts: 1,522
FF Reputation: 13 DJslurp1200 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow...


First off let me be the one to say in no way was this thread started to end up like this... However... when you have Hardcore GM fanboys (like the guy at the track) see something that they cannot believe on a FORD FOCUS messageboard I guess they will register just to come on and try to explain how the laws of physics couldn't have allowed what happened before their eyes to be in fact true...


It was simply just a fun night at the track and fun beating someone with a motor twice the size of mine in a car that most would only bet that I would lose to...

No I didn't see the motor but it was a V8... Seriously man a 305 with a flowmaster like sounding exhaust is not hard to tell the difference between a 6cyl...and as for my time at the track you must keep in mind that's with a passenger and full tank of gas... that will make a huge difference in both my end time and 60ft... But again... I wasn't out to set records, I was out just having FUN!

On top of that let me say that there were cars with 100-250hp more than me that were running 9-10 sec 1/8 times... however with a 1/8 mile track your not going to see the full potential from most cars and towards the end is where alot of those cars really take off the most! Hence why alot of people talk smack about 1/8 tracks probably...

No I didn't see the motor but I know what I heard was a V8... there is no need to debate that... As for hp and 1/4 mile calculators it's pointless... I won the race and that is that... maybe he would have got me later on if we were going down the 1/4? But I don't think so... Like others mentioned those 305's are slow, heavy cars that just dont' really move and the video proves it...

As for the 93+ firebird... I've raced my friend several times and it's a close race... not a slaughtering as the bird in the video...but I've won several times and a kill is a kill...
DJslurp1200 is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #79
tpivette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Fan#: 69410
Location: Newark, DE
What I Drive: just an old chevy

Posts: 36
FF Reputation: 1 tpivette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
No I didn't see the motor but it was a V8
contradicting statement right there. if you didnt see it, then you dont KNOW

many people have mistaken a V6 with exhaust work for a underpowered V8... you cant just listen to the exhaust note and be able to discern the displacement

bottom line is a V8 thirdgen, of any year, should have hung with you from start to finish. looking at the video and seeing you put distance on him the whole way down the track MEANS it was a V6

Quote:
As for the 93+ firebird... I've raced my friend several times and it's a close race... not a slaughtering as the bird in the video...but I've won several times and a kill is a kill...
if your friends car is truely an LT1, it would absolutely RAPE a mid 16 sec Focus. no questions asked. theres just no way in hell a near stock Focus is going to beat or come close to a low 14 sec car. if you actually hung with him, his opti is probably shot and hes only running on half his cylinders, or he just wasnt racing

Quote:
However... when you have Hardcore GM fanboys (like the guy at the track) see something that they cannot believe on a FORD FOCUS messageboard I guess they will register just to come on and try to explain how the laws of physics couldn't have allowed what happened before their eyes to be in fact true...
please dont compare the lying, V6 owning tool that you raced at the track to real GM enthusiats. there should be no physics lesson necessary to explain why a 16 sec car (focus) shouldnt beat a 15 sec (305) or 14 sec (LT1) car. no one, i repeat NO ONE has EVER said you didnt win the race. however, we all have said you didnt beat a V8
tpivette is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #80
CaysE
EDM Specialist
 
CaysE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Fan#: 22059
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: Blown red SVT

Posts: 6,581
Points 15,564, Level 80
Points: 15,564, Level: 80 Points: 15,564, Level: 80 Points: 15,564, Level: 80
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 80 CaysE Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheat View Post
...i don't see why you guys are trying to bash his win, FJ is over there 8===>
That was kinda pointless... FJ is full of semi-pro and amateur race drivers and would've called out the haters in a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpivette View Post
contradicting statement right there. if you didnt see it, then you dont KNOW

many people have mistaken a V6 with exhaust work for a underpowered V8... you cant just listen to the exhaust note and be able to discern the displacement

bottom line is a V8 thirdgen, of any year, should have hung with you from start to finish. looking at the video and seeing you put distance on him the whole way down the track MEANS it was a V6


if your friends car is truely an LT1, it would absolutely RAPE a mid 16 sec Focus. no questions asked. theres just no way in hell a near stock Focus is going to beat or come close to a low 14 sec car...
You're basing your argument on the assumption that the Focus ST is a mid-16 second car... which it isn't. I don't know how you calculated, but the ST is a mid-to-low 15 second car in the quarter with a good driver, which the OP clearly is based on the clean launch and fast shifting. There's no question that an '05-'07 Focus ST will kill an LO3 or LG4 V8 thirdgen.
CaysE is offline  
    Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat