Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #41
Henry Ford
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61680
What I Drive: 2002 white zts

FF Reputation: 1 Henry Ford Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well just an up date on my focus it took longer to get it into the next shop just got it back today $340.00 was how much it ended up being . it was two solenoids the two little ones if you only do the one it weal burn it right out again the shop found that out the hard way but ford covered it and it didn't cost me anything if i would have did it myself i would have pay for three of them instead of two plus he cleared the codes changed filter,gasket,fluid and added conditioner additive now it shifts better then when it was new.O and there was nothing wrong with anything else like the first shop said! So before you pay haft what the car is Worth ask someone else.Solenoids cost $134.52 throu ford.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #42
ChuckDee
stock status

Fan#: 43589
What I Drive: from '07-11: black Zts

FF Reputation: 48 ChuckDee Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
great write up! ima use this info and replace mine soon.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #43
Lancer211
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65747
What I Drive: 2004 infrared sedan SE

FF Reputation: 4 Lancer211 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
It's actually not too hard to get from here to swapping in a performance valvebody, either.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #44
gratefulluke
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63264
What I Drive: 2002 Twilight Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 gratefulluke Good Standing Member
Thanks for this info! Swapped out Solenoid "A", no sweat. $50 for the solenoid from the dealer and $5 for the liquid gasket.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #45
cmurdah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54806
What I Drive: 05 se

FF Reputation: 3 cmurdah Good Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile

so i pulled code for the "d" solenoid, think it was p0765 or something, im sure the last digits were 65 and it used theword "ssd" on the printout. i read the guide, which is great, but for the code i have the OP listed to "check pinpoint a" and im not really sure what that means?

engine light is on, very rough shifting at low speeds and in/out of gear. 02 zts 103k miles
Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #46
tiger61378
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54476
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3 Sport

FF Reputation: 3 tiger61378 Good Standing Member
This is a great writeup, and since I have code 0750, I'll be getting that solenoid A in the next couple of days.
Hatchback Lover #53
Old 03-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #47
runfocusrun
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43029
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 runfocusrun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hi guys, haven't been on the site in quite a while, remember I said I thought my solenoids were gone ? Well finally late october '09 I went to Ford, spoke to the master of transmissions there, hence the guy has 35 yrs of experience only in Ford tranny's, we hooked a computer on the car and went driving, guess what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the tranny, it only is a tiny bit hard on the lock-up (yes I drive an automatic) but further all is ok. Ended up paying 45 $ for the check up but it was worth it.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #48
tiger61378
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54476
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3 Sport

FF Reputation: 3 tiger61378 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by runfocusrun View Post
Hi guys, haven't been on the site in quite a while, remember I said I thought my solenoids were gone ? Well finally late october '09 I went to Ford, spoke to the master of transmissions there, hence the guy has 35 yrs of experience only in Ford tranny's, we hooked a computer on the car and went driving, guess what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the tranny, it only is a tiny bit hard on the lock-up (yes I drive an automatic) but further all is ok. Ended up paying 45 $ for the check up but it was worth it.
Hey, not too bad...

And, btw, a little tip for people. You can get a PocketScan from Advance Auto Parts for around $80. It just gives the codes & lets you clear em, but its about the best $80 I ever spent (needed the thing when I had my old Geo Tracker...damn check engine light would never go out, it had so many problems LOL). I'd call it an essential for your tool box (or better, glove box...easy to hook up to the OBDII port on the Focus, and you have it if you get a sudden check engine light while driving).
Hatchback Lover #53
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #49
Livens
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Livens Good Standing Member
my ATX is now fixed

Here is my experience with the 4F27E ATX.

It started slipping out of 4th and progressed to not going into 4th at all, and slipping out of 3rd gear. A week later I lost reverse completely. So I was thinking 'rebuild' and big $$$. But after reading this article I was convinced that it was the SSA. So I went to Ford and got one for $47 and swapped it out. Nothing. No change.

So I asked a freind of mine if her Husband, who is a master mech., could fix it. No problem she said. He took the ATX out and tore it down. He found the problem, or a problem. There is a small snap ring about 3 inches in diameter that hold the 'inards' of the reverse/4th gear drum together. It had popped out of place causing things to be loose and no pressure was able to build up. It looksl ike Ford had realized there was a problem with this because they redesigned another ring that helps keep that one from coming out. The original had tabs along the inside that held the ring in, new one was solid all the way around.

Anyway he got it all back together replacing a few seals and a new piston for the reverse drum, it had a depression in a rubber ring or something were the retaining ring had popped out. Yeah, fixed! Almost...

The next day it starts slipping in 3rd and wont go into 4th. Check engine light is on. Slip into Autozone and its code P0755, the SSB. Fortunatly the SSA and SSB solenoid are identicle, so I swap out my original SSA for my SSB. Success! It looks like my ATX had 2 problems, the retaining ring and a bad SSB.

Thanks for the great writeup on these solenoids! Really gave me the confidence to do them myself!

PS. I dont believe in coincidences. Having a solenoid go bad and a retaining ring pop out at almost the same time... they have to be related. Im wondering if the jerking from the ATX slipping put too much pressure somehow on that reverse drum?

Last edited by Livens; 04-13-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 AM   #50
memphisguy2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19671
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 memphisguy2000 Good Standing Member
Question......

I have almost 185,000 miles on my 2001 atx, and have had zero issues. I'll be changing the transmission filter and fluid this coming weekend. I am guessing thsi is not something I can do just because I have the pan cracked open right? In other words, do not change out the solonoid until I have an issue right?

Bookmarks & Social Networks