Need to get on track for maintenance. Coolant flush by myself or acid flush at dealership? Fuel filter, cabin filter PS fluid etc questions - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
R00ST650
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Need to get on track for maintenance. Coolant flush by myself or acid flush at dealership? Fuel filter, cabin filter PS fluid etc questions

Alright so my 03 SVT is at 65k and my dads 01 SE 2.0 zetec is at 85k.

I have Wayne (hypnotics) tune for my 03 from a LONG time ago. My car has started surging @ 2k sometimes and it seems to be weather dependent. I have an ORP and burned out both o2 sensors. I replaced both with OE motorcraft's and they only lasted about 5k miles and BOTH burned out again (slow reading I think is the CEL on both) . The surging @ 2k im sure is due to the o2 sensors BUT I ended up not touching them to see how my mileage would turn out. I am getting higher MPG now than I was before! So I am almost reluctant to change out the o2 sensors again as crazy as that sounds.I do still have my stock cat but really like the sound of the ORP. Any opinions on this? I feel its a waste to slap new o2 sensors on if im keeping the ORP.

My dads focus is developing a bit of a rough idle so im hoping doing everything on this list to both cars will solve our problems.

Both have had the coolant changed but that was at around 35-40k so they could both use it.

1) My question is...Should I get a proper Acid flush (at a local place where they actually use the acid they run through the cooling system to clean out the crud) OR should I just do the old fashioned Drain, Run water through system and refill?

2) Both are on stock fuel filters which I know are in desperate need of replacing. I was planning on seafoaming before the new filters go in. Any problems with this?

3) I plan to clean my panel K&N filter and replace my dads paper element and put new copper plugs on the SVT( What should I gap them at? I cant remember for the life of me what I gapped my current coppers at) and the replacements on my dads zetec after the seafoaming.

Should I clean my Maf? I have had a K&N type filter on for quite some time and am now wondering how much filter oil is on the maf. Can I just toss it in a plastic bag with some rubbing alcohol?

4) I know both cars could use a new cabin filter. Where are these located on the cars? Never replaced one before so not sure.

5) Should I replace the PS fluid on both? I am sure with the mileage the fluid looks like chocolate milk by now.

6) How about Tranny fluid? My dad has the A/T zetec so he would probably just get motorcraft fluid. I was thinking some RP Synchromax for the SVT? This is easy enough to change so im sure I will just do it while doing everything else. How hard is the tranny fluid change on an automatic zetec? Just as easy as the getgrag?

Anything im forgetting? Any tips to make life easier while doing the above jobs?

I got "super busy" with college and "stuff" and ended up really lacking on car maintenance. Figure now is as good as any time to get back on track!

Thanks in advance
Mike

Bookmarks & Social Networks