How-To: Shorten your shift throw with stock MTX shifter - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2637
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 5 FucusUnderground Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How-To: Shorten your shift throw with stock MTX shifter

Let me start by saying I didn't invent this DIY mod. It's discussed a bit in the STS sticky, and the first reference made to it was by Buickboy so I want to make sure he gets his fair credit. The sticky is rather vague as far as what's involved and I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere so I decided to do a write up on it. Many of you may know of this already but since it's so easy and free it should be readily availabe for people who want a shorter throw but can't or don't want to spend money on one. I did it, and it works great. Bear in mind this is my first writeup so be gentle. Also, my phone's camera sucks so forgive the quality of the pics.

What you will need:
-Phillips Head screwdriver
-Flathead screwdriver
-Cutting tool (serrated steak knife, mini handsaw, etc) for red plastic collar
-Wirecutter (reccommended) for boot trim

What you do:

Start by moving the front passenger seat all the way back. This will give you more room to work with. Don't mind my shift knob. I'm on my 4th one. I guess Ford can't make one for me that will keep paint on.

Next, gently pry the shift boot from the console. Be careful, it's only held in there by plastic tabs so try not to break them off.

Now, remove the shift knob. It just twists off but it may take some persuasion to get it started.

With the knob removed, you can take off the entire shift boot assembly. Take the red plastic collar and set it aside for now.

With the boot assembly out of the way you should be left with a bare shift lever with black plastic piece attached near the bottom. This the pivot ball mount and is what we're going to move. Using a Phillips Head screwdriver remove the screw you see pictured. It may help to have a few different phillips heads because this screw can be tough to get started, and it strips kind of easy. It's one of those screws that seem to want one specific driver (anyone who has worked on cars to a large extent knows what I mean).

Ok now with that screw out it's time to reposition the pivot ball mount. You will see that the screw was pinching the two black "fingers" that circled the lever together when it was all together. Get a flathead screwdriver that JUST fits inbetween those two fingers. By **gently** prying them apart you will notice the mount get a little looser. Basically you want to pry them just enough so you can move the whole mount up the lever. After playing with it for a minute you'll find the technique that works. Move it up until you can twist the mount on the lever without prying on it. NOW, using the prying technique, LOWER the mount on the lever just until you are no longer able to move it around without prying. I know these pics aren't that great but here's where it was before you moved it:

And here's an approximation of where it should be after you move it:

Once you're comfortable with it's position, you can go ahead and put the screw back in an tighten it up. At this point there's two more things you're going to need to do before you can button everything back up. First, try to reinstall the shift boot assembly (lining up the notch on the boot's sleeve with the peg on the mount-it only goes on one way) and more likely that not it's not going to go on right when you try to snap the trim into place. This is because we moved the mount up so high that the boot's trim in now touching the pivot arm. Take your wire cutters, or any other heavy-duty snipping devices and trim the front of the boot's trim. You'll see where. I removed the whole front tab thing below the two mounting tabs (so they'd hold the boot on since i cut the staple off). It's more trial and error but eventually once you remove enough material it'll snap on and you're good. I didn't take a pic but if someone ABSOLUTELY needs me to I'll take it apart and post one.
Now remember the red plastic collar I had you set off to the side? If you put it back on as it is it will cover the threads on the lever preventing the knob from going back on. Again, you want to trim it down so that enough of the thread is exposed to replace the knob. I took off about an inch give or take. Again no pic but it's pretty self explanitory. Once you have that all set, twist the shift knob back on and take her for a spin.

You will find that not only are the throws noticeably shorter than they were in its previous configuration, but I also found on mine that the shifter is nice and firm, especially in neutral. I wouldn't have called it sloppy before but now I can't think of a better word for what it used to feel like. Takes about a half hour or so, costs nothing but a few moments of your time, and is a great alternative to shelling out over $100 for an aftermarket shifter. Bear in mind though, that I can't speak for the difference between this mod and a STS like Steeda's as I've never used one, but vs stock this is your best bang (into gear) for your buck.

Good Luck and happy motoring guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
screammachine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68474
What I Drive: 2006 screamin yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 screammachine Good Standing Member
thanks Buickboy and FucusUnderground im going to have to try this when i get my car out of the shop i love how its FREE
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,105, Level 100
Points: 32,105, Level: 100 Points: 32,105, Level: 100 Points: 32,105, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Hmm...mine didn't have a red plastic collar but you got the Short Throw theory down pat it seems.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

No problem screammachine although all I did was write it up. I had seen it mentioned a few times and couldn't find a how-to so I made this for the benefit of those who want to do it but couldn't find the info. As I said above I have never used a "true" aftermarket short throw shifter so I honestly can't say how much they shorten throws but I was able to move the ball mount up pretty much a full inch on mine and the throws are shorter than they were. It doesn't make the throws rediculously short like on some cars but you should notice the difference. I can't immagine a Steeda or a B&M's throws to be much shorter than this anyway (at least not a $120 difference) but again, I don't know. Anyone who has used an aftermarket shifter feel free to weigh in on this.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
my only concern with this idea is the part you can see in the last and 2nd to last picture, but the cable will come close to the plastic piece that holds the boot in, and i had this issue with my B&M and i had to trim the plastic alittle
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

It does come into contact with it. I had to trim mine also. And I've heard others say they have had to do the same thing with the Steeda model. This point only adds weight to the argument that it's essentially doing the same thing as one of those shifters. And ig you trim it right, you'll never be able to tell once it's back in place. Even if you reset it to the stock configuration no one would know unless they pulled up the boot.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honhon View Post
my only concern with this idea is the part you can see in the last and 2nd to last picture, but the cable will come close to the plastic piece that holds the boot in, and i had this issue with my B&M and i had to trim the plastic alittle
^^^^x2. it does hit the boot and will somtimes pop the boot out and even wear out the plastic boot. time to upgrade to leather boots
Old 08-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
bosengel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41513
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 Kona / 1999 Toyota Corolla

FF Reputation: 8 bosengel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
For those that are unsure about the red collar, it was only found on 2007s that came without a reverse lockout. On older models, there will be a spring in it's place.

And for your paint peeling, I had the same problem. Scraping it all off doesn't look half bad.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
FucusUnderground
Focus Addict

That's actually pretty funny you mentioned that. I just removed the paint except for the paint in the numbers and it looks pretty darn good. My warranty for those ran out finally lol so no 5th free one for me. And they wanted to charge me over $50 for a stock knob...eff that.

Also thank you for clarifying the red collar. I just assumed since mine had it that they all did.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,105, Level 100
Points: 32,105, Level: 100 Points: 32,105, Level: 100 Points: 32,105, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
lol at the Crown Royal bag boot.

And yes I had to trim my collar with the Steeda STS, its a pretty standard thing.

May want to edit the post or clarify.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.