First HPDE Event! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50146
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Co0p3r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
First HPDE Event!

Okay this weekend is my first HPDE event ever. I will be driving my SVT and it will be a hell of a time. Anyone else going to be at mid-ohio? Anything I should look out for? Let me KNOW! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (68)
wish i was still in detroit!! cause i would be there again!!

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Look for the Capaldi racing toter home and their stable of spec focus. 1st thing to go is power steering so put some redline in there.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23315
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

FF Reputation: 5 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Be on time for tech, classroom and driver's meetings.
Listen to your instructor and go to all of the download sessions after each run.
Don't be in a rush to solo, you paid for an instructor so use his/her brain. I have never soloed a novice though some NASA guys will in order to get back to their race car.
Drinkma lot of fluids, dehydration happens quickly and is not your friend. If you aren't going to the restroom before each session you are not drinking enough.
Be careful if the track is wet, that is one of the slickest tracks in the rain I've ever seen.
Have fun.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Okay thank you very much, and also you mean m power steering will go out? So put better fluid in it? Will my SVT have problems racing? And will I need a extra set of pads? I currenty have Hawk pads on front and back. And i wont rush, I want to learn as much as possible.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co0p3r View Post
Okay thank you very much, and also you mean m power steering will go out? So put better fluid in it? Will my SVT have problems racing? And will I need a extra set of pads? I currenty have Hawk pads on front and back. And i wont rush, I want to learn as much as possible.
In addition to all the advice above.....

make sure your car is ready, empty all the loose items an non-essentials the night before, it should look like you are bringing it to the dealer as a lease return or trade in. (wash, wax, and vacuum are optional )

Install fresh oil, fresh brake fluid, then torque the lug nuts, & check tires for cuts and nails. NO ARMOR ALL ON THE TIRES!

Brake fluid is important to replace/flush with new high quailty DOT 4 racing fluid. Your fluid temps on track will be much higher than anything you will ever see on the street. If your fluid is over 6 months old, it will have moisture in it, and it can boil easily as you build up speeds later in the day creating problems. If you are using DOT 3 fluid or are not sure, replace it with new DOT 4.

Ususally if you are running street tires you'll want to add about 2-4 psi more than you run on the street. this gives better feel, and reduces tire squirm which will keep tires at lower temps.

MAke sure you have approx 50% brake pad left, some tech inspectors are more strict than others.

Aside from that no partying the night before, get plenty of rest, and have a good breakfast. No energy drinks during the day! Your adrenaline will be flowing with no problems, the extra stimulants will just make it harder for you to concentrate.

Most important, relax and have fun! Good luck.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...

Last edited by tb1999; 08-12-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

I will have to flush with brakes and put dot 4 in, I have dot 3 in it, and i just changed oil and bought a extra set of duralast pads just in case lol.. Im very excited. Thank you very much everyone. And anyone know how I can install my Vado HD in the car easily?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
tb1999
Focus Addict

did you survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co0p3r View Post
I will have to flush with brakes and put dot 4 in, I have dot 3 in it, and i just changed oil and bought a extra set of duralast pads just in case lol.. Im very excited. Thank you very much everyone. And anyone know how I can install my Vado HD in the car easily?

Hey Co0p3r,

Did you make it through in one piece?

Updates please.......

I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Co0p3r
Focus Enthusiast

Yes i did, one of the best experiences ever! I did have one of the slowest cars on the track by horsepower 170hp. But that did not matter one bit, I hung with everyone through the turns and even passed about everyone at least once after riding their license plate through all the turns. I love my SVT and it truly is a great track car, the back stretch started me at 95 mph before braking, by sunday night, i was hitting 115mph before braking, the car ran great all weekend and I cant wait to do it again, I ad a awesome instructor that drilled into my head that smooth is fast, I kept with it and got much faster, dusted the following cars through the turns: Miata, RX-8, Stock 350Z, Prelude, Civic, 2.5 RS, 944. The other cars in my class i couldnt touch, but hung with them in corners, evo, vette, sti... LOL :)
Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
tb1999
Focus Addict

Thumbs up Congrats!

^ hey that's great!

It's real fun when you get point-by's from some hot cars. I've got a handful of videos on youtube doing lots of that since you get a mix of drivers with different skills and/or the will to "push it" at an HPDE.

(I saw one guy total a C5 vette on his first HPDE with the instructor in the car, sometimes bad things happen.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/fsp505

Anyway, glad you had fun.

Now I dare you not to start thinking about going racing.......

These links will tell you how to get a license in SCCA or NASA.

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=43

http://www.nasaproracing.com/racing/

Bookmarks & Social Networks