Focus Rally Project - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #31
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
FWIW, Both NASA and Rally America have required sticker packages (have to keep their sponsors happy and what's worse you have to buy the stickers from them). They're definitely required if you want to be eligible for contingency money and awards. They pretty much tell you where they have to be placed and that will determine what's left for your sponsors. This may change your design concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
If you are going to rally in Rally America, ur gonna wanna start in production class. ur gonna wanna budget more!!! 1500 for each Hans Device setup and safety suit. 1k for entrance fees, and tires, etc. anyways, i would hold off on the paint!!!! its gonna get dinged up!!! its a fact!!! rally in stock form!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo305 View Post
maybe you started off on the wrong foot, but we didn't see in your OP a list of parts that you'd need to upgrade your car, like what mlbaseball listed. That list would have clued everyone in to the fact that you're going down the right tracks research wise.

Instead we saw only some paint schemes, spoiler mods, and accessorization of a car that you purport to want to rally.
Quote:
That's an awful price, but either way, don't bother trying to make power on this car if you're gonna rally it.

double check these are FIA certified; I couldn't see that it was anywhere.

Just pick up the Ford Racing rally brake kit. These guys might have a caliper configuration that'll prevent you from running a 15" or 16" wheel.

If there's one thing you can't cheap out on, it's suspension. Look for a used set of quality suspension bits. Rally suspension needs are very different from street or track suspension.

You shouldn't worry about this stuff. None of it is keeping you from getting on stage. A complete RallyAmerica graphics package is like $45 or something.
I have to agree 110% (!!) with all these folks. I don't see a sensible plan forming here. Cosmetics and useless wings are NOT essential to rallying. They WILL eat up money that should go to purely functional changes to the car, and safety gear for the driver. If you seriously intend on getting involved in any motorsport, read the rule book, find out exactly what is required to even get past the front door so to speak. Cartoon paint jobs and ineffective aero devices just don't make sense to the mind of a racer, no matter how "amateur" or "small budget" he or she is. Novice racers start out with the best equipment they can barely afford, not overpriced and inappropriate blingy hardware. I'm sure others will agree with that point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #32
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 27,694, Level 98
Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98 Points: 27,694, Level: 98
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
Don't forget about skid plates!! Then there is the fuel shutoff system, fire supression system, rally computer, SFI/FIA/RA approved gear, Hans Devices, inspections, licensing, hydraulic Ebrake, lighting system for night, etc!!!! and those are just the main things not mentioned. I haven't even touched on tires, camber caster kits, body strengthining jacks/ emergency equipment, radios, cameras, etc. my list, which i have priced out for new parts is around 16k for my car, granted, i'm fabbing up alot of my own stuff and finding used parts, so i'm hoping to keep it under 10!!!!! Not trying to be a killjoy, i promise, I think more people should get into rallying!! but the reality is its pricy and takes alot of custom work!!!

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #33
Death Site DSI
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62763
What I Drive: 08 Focus SE, 2014 Honda CTX700ND

Points 1,502, Level 22
Points: 1,502, Level: 22 Points: 1,502, Level: 22 Points: 1,502, Level: 22
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Death Site DSI Good Standing Member
[B][COLOR="Red"]Parts Will Be Posted As They Come Available And That Meets FIA Sport Regulations

If any of u really read this part of the post ^^^^^^^^ AS THEY COME AVAILABLE ITS A NEW CAR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD U GUYS KEEP FORGETTING THAT ONE KEY PART. I KNO THEY ARENT THE BEST OF THE BEST. if i knew u guys would completely over look the biggest fact of the project i would have never posted anything.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #34
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Site DSI View Post
if i knew u guys would completely over look the biggest fact of the project i would have never posted anything.
A lot of the stuff you do need is well established though, like FIA certified seats.

The new Focus is obviously not popular at all in amateur rally, so you probably will want to run it as close to stock as possible. There will probably never be a real selection of aftermarket rally parts for this car.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 AM   #35
Death Site DSI
Focus Addict

Points 1,502, Level 22
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
yea thats wut i kinda post 4 times or so it still new so not many parts, the ones i found r universal parts, but i can still try to get upgrades to the FIA Specs and i kno its going to be a long time before it anywhere near FIA Spec rally car.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #36
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
but i can still try to get upgrades to the FIA Specs and i kno its going to be a long time before it anywhere near FIA Spec rally car.
Ok, but it's probably a waste of your money to buy racing seats that aren't FIA certified only to get FIA ones down the road. The only stuff you'd being doing would be autocross and rallycross, where a better seat is not going to make much of a difference. Certainly not a difference worth $1000+.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #37
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
yea thats wut i kinda post 4 times or so it still new so not many parts, the ones i found r universal parts, but i can still try to get upgrades to the FIA Specs and i kno its going to be a long time before it anywhere near FIA Spec rally car.
Quote:
Ok, but it's probably a waste of your money to buy racing seats that aren't FIA certified only to get FIA ones down the road. The only stuff you'd being doing would be autocross and rallycross, where a better seat is not going to make much of a difference. Certainly not a difference worth $1000+.
I think the excellent advice of the experienced rally runners here (which does not include me, for the record) is falling on deaf ears. "FIA spec rally car" is pretty much a meaningless statement. Not understanding what "FIA certified" means in reference to critical safety gear such as a driver's seat is telling, unfortunately.

The OP has to get facts and reality of racing straight: Assess your budget, in time and money, decide what sort of racing you're interested in, examine the rule book for that class of racing, choose a vehicle that is well supported by race part makers and suppliers (otherwise you have to make a lot yourself), estimate the costs of required safety gear (and always get the best you can barely afford...you can replace a damaged car, not a damaged driver!), minimum sensible required car preparation and modification, travel, event and spare parts costs etc etc, then add a big chunk on top of that for unforeseen events, then compare to your budget. Do the numbers add up? The answer there will tell you if you're being realistic or just dreaming the impossible dream.

That's just a rehashing of what all the rallyers have said already, many times over. Take it all seriously...
Old 07-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #38
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Current Parts List:

FIA Sport Regulations Roll Cage (T-45)
Driver Safety Gear
Still Reading For More Info.

AirIntake: K & N $321.95
NEV Netami Racing Seats $1,238.00
Crow 5 Point Restraint $130.00
KSport Procomp Front/Rear Rotor Kit $1,787.50 Ea
KSport Kontrol Procomp CoilOver Kit $929.50
APR GT-U Adjustable Wing $256.50 (Adjust to 15 Degrees)
OZ Racing SuperTurismo GT (Matt Black/Red Lettering) $???.??
Driver Numbers/Nation Flag $175.82 (In UK)
Current Total Cost: $6,625.95

Parts Will Be Posted As They Come Available And That Meets FIA Sport Regulations

Prices Will Change Due To Labor, Shipping And Handling.
I suggest that you go to the NASA Spec Focus rally web site and follow their prep rules and the required list of parts. This is rally proven stuff. Many parts on your list are not intended or designed for rally, especially the brakes, suspension, wheels, etc. You're far better off getting rally PROVEN equipment! The Spec Focus parts list was carefully thought out by top notch rallyists for durability, function, and cost.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:21 AM   #39
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
I suggest that you go to the NASA Spec Focus rally web site and follow their prep rules and the required list of parts. This is rally proven stuff. Many parts on your list are not intended or designed for rally, especially the brakes, suspension, wheels, etc. You're far better off getting rally PROVEN equipment! The Spec Focus parts list was carefully thought out by top notch rallyists for durability, function, and cost.
What he said! That covers it completely...period...done!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #40
Death Site DSI
Focus Addict

Points 1,502, Level 22
Level Up 2% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex214 View Post
What he said! That covers it completely...period...done!
k i will do that

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.