ATTS Autocross Event & my peeing dog - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
bluedwardle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51801
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 bluedwardle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ATTS Autocross Event & my peeing dog

Hey everyone,

Today was ATTS' first of 4 events this year (autocross, time attack, Touge and drag) which tests the drivers in all 4 areas on the same car, same tire, seeing which car/driver has the best setup for all.

I didn't place or anything, but I had a ton of fun. I was in the B group due to R comp tires, which includes anyone under 12lb/hp on street tires, or anyone over with R Comps

Here are the pictures of my dog

The cornering dog:

I'm researching right now on whether this is a good thing or not... any experts out there? I was posting decent times, especially for my first track day. I'm sure I'll figure out the corners a little better as I go (slow down a hair more before entry), it's all about learning.

Thanks for any comments. Tires are 225/45/17, old Hankook RSS R Comps

Why does everyone get boost except me?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61033
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

FF Reputation: 4 steve35svt Good Standing Member
Nice car! Having fun is what its all about. And my peeeing dog avatar will be below yours LOL!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
lifting the tire shouldnt hurt you.. Sure Looks cool.. Wish mine could do it. LOL.. You must be on stock suspension?

also not forget to hug the cones. Ive learned to slow down so I dont swing wide. Ive posted my best times when i take it slower.
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
wow, lifting your rear only means you have too much sway and not enough sway bar. im sure you are getting tons of speed scrubbed off when you do that. i also think that upgrading your sways will put you in a different class.

looks cool nonetheless.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
jayel579
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64031
What I Drive: 2006 Mustang GT, 2002 E46 BMW 330Ci

Points 492, Level 9
Points: 492, Level: 9 Points: 492, Level: 9 Points: 492, Level: 9
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 jayel579 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedwardle View Post
Thanks for any comments. Tires are 225/45/17, old Hankook RSS R Comps
I was going to get the same size tires for my car, do you have any rubbing issues with the 225-45/17 size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
wow, lifting your rear only means you have too much sway and not enough sway bar. im sure you are getting tons of speed scrubbed off when you do that. i also think that upgrading your sways will put you in a different class.

looks cool nonetheless.
Depending on what class he is in, switching sway bars won't effect. No class says you can't change out any sway bars by the SCCA rule book. Stock class is the only class that you cannot touch the rear sway bar, front bar is free in every class. The slotted rotors put the car into some prepared class.

He is three-wheeling more because of the R-comps not all of the reason is from the sway bars. Very easy to do with a front drive hatchback car on stock suspension. In fact, in the Philly Region SCCA someone rolled there focus during an autocross event at Citizen Bank Park.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
bluedwardle
Focus Enthusiast

I haven't had any rubbing issues, but I'm positive that if I was running something with less offset I would rub (using stock SVT wheels with +49 offset). My daily wheels are 42 offset and I can guaranty that with wider wheels it'd rub.

I found out why my front end is swaying so much more than the rear.... the sway bar end link bushings are completely apart. I'm replacing those as well as ball joints today and hopefully heading to another event this Saturday so I'll let you knwo if the wheel comes down any.

The Autocross event in the pictures was more of a small road course with pilons, most of the time I was doing 50+. It was very wide open and some of the turns were a lot faster going slightly wide. However you're right WUGcatsvt I was going a little wide due to speed :(

I'm hoping the front sway issue will a stop the front outside corner from dipping quite so much, but we'll see.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
bluedwardle
Focus Enthusiast

Wow, finished the sway bar end links and ball joints, drives like a whole new car! The end links weren't even attached anymoe and the ball joints were floppier than a guy looking a Oprah

Old 07-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
couple of things -

we also had a focus roll a few years ago, but it was more driver error... ran into the grass sideways after going in too hot.

you're learning on r-comps!? not usually recommended. You will pick up a lot of bad habits (like going too fast...). Everyone always recommends learning on street tires and moving up later on.

why do people always point the finger at bars??? stiffer springs are much more effective at reducing roll. bars should be used to fine-tune under/oversteer characteristics...

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUGcatsvt View Post
lifting the tire shouldnt hurt you.. Sure Looks cool.. Wish mine could do it. LOL.. You must be on stock suspension?

also not forget to hug the cones. Ive learned to slow down so I dont swing wide. Ive posted my best times when i take it slower.
Slow in, fast out!

Take a less aggressive corner entry, don't waste your limited time and control on trying to dive banzai style into the braking zone for a corner, use your brakes efficiently rather than standing on them and upsetting the car at the entry, stay clean on entry, keep the line you think is best and motor out, using all the course width available, gaining time by being on the throttle longer. It's a bit of an oversimplification, but smoother IS faster, much of the time. It's possible that less doglegging will bring quicker times...

Any comments from the more successful AutoXers?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
bluedwardle
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Apex and illinipo.

I would have preferred to learn on some decent summer tires (and to put me in a lower class too) but these R comps were only $80. I didn't have any issues with losing control at all on this course, I definitely know the limits of the car. I took it easy for the first 3 laps, then started giving it more for the rest until I was comfortable and running consistent times. Now I just need to follow Apex' suggestion of slightly slower turn-in speeds. I'm always just a hair too hot in the beginning of the turn which of course makes it a slow exit.

Since it's my 2nd ever track day, first autocross I was happy. Ended up in 12th out of 25 in my group (mainly WRX's and S/C Miata's somehow, the classes are screwed up in the series) so I'm happy and hoping to do a little better at a short Solo I course at the end of the month.

Looking at going to an autocross again on the 17th, i'll post more pictures in this thread :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.