Headlight restoration how too! - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #51
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61033
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

FF Reputation: 4 steve35svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sanded and cleaned mine today and a big improvement! Used rubbing compound, 2000 grit wet paper and Plast-x from Meguires. Now I need to find a way to clean out the cob webs inside the headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #52
pitchedblack04
Bewst Anyone!!!

Fan#: 62993
What I Drive: 2004 turbo'd svt

FF Reputation: 7 pitchedblack04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Mine looked about ten times worse than the OP but they look like brand new now. Took about 3 hours per head light but deff worth it. The pic of them all glazed over actually looks better than they were. They had very deep sun spots that i played hell trying to get out. and the pic of them clear is actually worse than they really are. In person they look brand new.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #53
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Gahhhh FRONT MOUNT!!! sorry im off topic. my headlights havent started fading yet but im sure they will. glad to know how to fix it in advance
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #54
Frenchyakamd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64911
What I Drive: 00 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Frenchyakamd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Just did this today. I had the lens off of one of my lights to i decided to do the same to the inside. Just in case you're wondering, not the best of ideas. Otherwise, this worked out pretty well. I have one light that looks much better now, and one that no longer has sun spots and imbedded bird crap but is still pretty foggy.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #55
LMJensen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59366
What I Drive: 1997 teal blue Honda Civic

FF Reputation: 1 LMJensen Good Standing Member
My dad took some Turtle Wax rubbing compound to my lights and it cleared them up, hardly any elbow grease needed, just rub on wipe off.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #56
speedy_fisher3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63396
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 speedy_fisher3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchyakamd View Post
Just did this today. I had the lens off of one of my lights to i decided to do the same to the inside. Just in case you're wondering, not the best of ideas. Otherwise, this worked out pretty well. I have one light that looks much better now, and one that no longer has sun spots and imbedded bird crap but is still pretty foggy.
Do you mean you can take the lenses off the headlights? Mine appear to be scratched (cracked) inside and nothing outside will help them. I'd love to take them appart but I've been afraid to try it.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #57
AK_03SVTFoci
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59965
What I Drive: 03 SVTF/Pitch Black #305

FF Reputation: 1 AK_03SVTFoci Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve35svt View Post
Sanded and cleaned mine today and a big improvement! Used rubbing compound, 2000 grit wet paper and Plast-x from Meguires. Now I need to find a way to clean out the cob webs inside the headlights.
I worked up the courage to use the same technique yesterday. The effort was well worth it. I wet sanded the lights then applied the Meduires Plast-x to a polishing pad and basically buffed the lights with a Porter Cable DA polisher. Amazing results.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #58
TrixAreForKidss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33924
What I Drive: 2001 Midnight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TrixAreForKidss Good Standing Member
Well I was stupid last year and tried using the "high grip sand paper" method and totally ruined them. I went to napa and grabbed a pack of the CCP headlight restore kit and spent a bunch of time today and got most of the scratches out but the haze was still there and wasnt coming out. I had a bottle of plast-x from Meguiars, and started hand buffing them and they started looking better...however I wasnt completely satisfied, so I got the big ass buffer and put more plast-x on and VOILA, these look AMAZING!

Definatly use the plast-x after the restorer and you will be WOWED! (pictures tomorrow)
Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #59
mrzog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67770
What I Drive: 2002 liquid grey se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mrzog Good Standing Member
3m kit works pretty good. oont know if you can get the replacement discs or not. i worked in aviaton and have used their roloc disks and stuff. funny about thing about the 3m kit is the rubbing compound is their cleaner wax by part number...lol. novus system is what we used in aviation on the cabin windows as they are plastic and works pretty good. i have a micro mesh kit and they are great to have especially since it is cloth. i have plastx and was wondering if the meguiars mirror glaze plastic cleaner and polish would be better?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #60
TrixAreForKidss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33924
What I Drive: 2001 Midnight Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TrixAreForKidss Good Standing Member
Before:

After:

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->