Hydrocarbon filter - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
j-dane
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10888
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 j-dane Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Hydrocarbon filter

I don't exactly know what to call this but it's the thing circular part inside the stock intake. I hear these thing can free up 3hp. Will it be ok to take this off as well as the splashguard without hurting the engine? Is it only for evaporative emissions, not dirt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
kaiten2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9696
What I Drive: 2004, red, zts

FF Reputation: 1 kaiten2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Correct it is meant for evap emissions but im sure it helps keep dirt out too. but if youre putting in a CAI then the filter should be keeping the dirt out.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #3
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9408
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 PZEV 5Sp.

FF Reputation: 7 BornAgainFordOwner Good Standing Member
I put my trap back in after initially removing it. After trying to think of a good reason why it was placed between the throttle body and the MAF, the only reason I could think of was that its meant to protect the MAF from fuel vapors. If the reason were for solely evaporative emissions, then the massive air filter element would seem to be sufficient. Also, the MAF's position in the MAF tube would seem to disturb the airflow and the trap honeycomb looks like it would correct that before the air enters the throttle body. I also left the honeycomb in the bottom of the MAF tube on the assumption that it is meant to evenly distribute the air flow to the MAF sensor. I would be very interested in hearing an opinion from anyone with experience in measuring air flow.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #4
j-dane
Focus Addict

I'm still confuse? will the hydrocarbon trap only eliminate the evaporative emissions or dirt etc, as well? If it's only for evaporative emissions then it wouldn't hurt the engine at all right? I'd much rather have it off for now because the response feels a lil better, but I'd definitely put it back in if dirt is coming in..
Old 08-28-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
BornAgainFordOwner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9408
What I Drive: 2004 Liquid Grey ZX3 PZEV 5Sp.

FF Reputation: 7 BornAgainFordOwner Good Standing Member
As I recall, its too coarse to filter dust or dirt. My concern was that its purpose was to prevent fuel vapors from collecting on and insulating the MAF from the true air flow measurement over a period of time.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
flat 4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6437
What I Drive: '04 ZX-3 (2.3 Duratec)

FF Reputation: 1 flat 4 Good Standing Member
Unless you have dirt the size of pebbles getting past your air filter...the carbon trap ain't going to do crap for keeping stuff out of your engine.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:06 AM   #7
#1RoushZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8908
What I Drive: 2004 silver roush focus

FF Reputation: 1 #1RoushZX3 Good Standing Member
NO ONE EVER ANSWERED HIS QUISTION....IS IT TO KEEP EVAP EMMISSIONS FROM BUILDING UP ON THE MAF
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
soffiler

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by #1RoushZX3
NO ONE EVER ANSWERED HIS QUISTION....IS IT TO KEEP EVAP EMMISSIONS FROM BUILDING UP ON THE MAF
Dude... caps lock. Just say no.

Probably no one answered his question because no one knows the answer. That's a GOOD thing. Drives me crazy when people guess at an answer and come off like they actually know what they are talking about.

I will guess, but at least I am telling you this is only a guess. The hydrocarbon trap is designed to trap hydrocarbons for controlling evaporative emissions. It is not specifically intended to keep the MAF clean although that might be a secondary "fringe benefit".
Old 09-01-2004, 01:43 AM   #9
j-dane
Focus Addict

Well I just put it back on anyways as I changed oil and upgraded to full synthetic mobil1. i do notice that it feels like it really slowed the response, I know when I first took it off, it wasn't really noticeable, but when I put it back in it does....haha well I'll just wait for a real intake when AEM comes out with one.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
flat 4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6437
What I Drive: '04 ZX-3 (2.3 Duratec)

FF Reputation: 1 flat 4 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by #1RoushZX3
Yeah, no need to yell here.
The best way to tell, IMHO would be to take a look at '05's that are NOT PZEV cert. If they have the screen; but no PZEV rating; then it might actually "protect" the MAF from all of those nasty harmful fumes that every other MAF in history seems to be just fine withstanding without the carbon trap!!!
Just a thought.
Cheers.

Bookmarks & Social Networks