car won't start after running out of gas - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Treyfeezy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66363
What I Drive: 2004 red focus sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Treyfeezy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
car won't start after running out of gas

My beautiful wife who I love dearly drives an 04 Focus sedan, she ran out of gas the other day apparently over night. Drove it home knew it was low thought she could make to the gas station the next day. Not so much. Went to start the next day, nothing. I fill up the can put it n the car, still nothing. The car just makes a clicking sound form the front, and I can hear what I assume is the fuel pump trying to work form the back when you turn the key.

I have tried letting it sit for a while, tried jumping it thinking maybe it didn't have enough juice. I was told something about a fuel cut off switch located in the front kick panel. Someone else suggested putting a little gas directly on the fuel injectors.

I'm thinking it may be the starter, any other thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
joshfink
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50565
What I Drive: Black 2007 ford Focus

FF Reputation: 4 joshfink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If its rapid clicking it might need a jump... although you said you tried that...

My wife did this with her 02 wagon... for some reason the computer died... I doubt thats the issue here though. But that is my experience with this issue... can you hear the fuel pump humming whem you turn the key? the pump is in the rear of the car too...
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49029
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX3 SAP

FF Reputation: 4 Marbs Good Standing Member
Did you find the fuel cut off switch? That is usually the cause of what you're describing.
2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
whitefox
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54401
What I Drive: 2008 Ebony CC 2dr coupe SES 5spd

Points 1,952, Level 26
Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26 Points: 1,952, Level: 26
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 35 whitefox Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbs View Post
Did you find the fuel cut off switch? That is usually the cause of what you're describing.
But the fuel cut off switch does not engage unless you are in an accident, or hit something hard as in a pot hole (there would be a bent or broken wheel if this were the case)
2008 Focus Ebony Clearcoat 2dr SES 5spd
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Member penguin Excellent Standing Member
Sound like the battery was run down trying to start it. Are you sure the jumper cables were securely attached when you tried to start it? Sometimes if the cables are not making a good connection, the jump will not work.

P.S. I believe that if the fuel cutoff switch is the problem the starter will still crank the engine, but the fuel will not flow. So this does not sound like a fuel cutoff switch problem.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,355, Level 94
Points: 23,355, Level: 94 Points: 23,355, Level: 94 Points: 23,355, Level: 94
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
you could at least try the cutoff switch..... it wouldn't hurt.

just don't press the transform button hidden next to it, you wouldn't want that
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Treyfeezy
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbs View Post
I haven't looked yet. I was told about the switch later last night googled it this morning, was gonna give it a shot when I get home from work. She didn't hit anything that I know of, but she is kinda rough with a car.

Joshfink, yes it's kind of a fast clicking and I can hear the fuel pump hum
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Derpy Cheetah

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,355, Level 94
Points: 23,355, Level: 94 Points: 23,355, Level: 94 Points: 23,355, Level: 94
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
ah.... in that case then, the vehicle doesn't have enough electrical energy to start.... so in other words the battery's dead. try cleaning off the battery posts with something like a wire brush. I had to do the same on mine, then it finally started.

(btw, unrelated......but just for the record, trying to jump a taurus with a focus is HARD when you're doing it by yourself. I had to put a book on the gas pedal to put enough voltage to the other car just a fun story lol.)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Treyfeezy
Focus Rookie

I will try that again when I get home. It was late and dark last night when I tried to jump it. I'll try cleaning the terminals and making sure the cables are making good contact.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
wsigo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57221
What I Drive: 2002 Toreador Red SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 5 wsigo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyfeezy View Post
Someone else suggested putting a little gas directly on the fuel injectors.
Don't do that!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mikebontoft I know you said it was off topic- but I figured the explanation below would help Treyfeezy as well since it sounds like his battery is dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
(btw, unrelated......but just for the record, trying to jump a taurus with a focus is HARD when you're doing it by yourself. I had to put a book on the gas pedal to put enough voltage to the other car just a fun story lol.)
After you've connected the jumper cables to both vehicles stay in the running vehicle for 5-10 minutes with the engine revved slightly above idle. ~1500-2000 rpm will suffice. You don't need to rev any higher, as that's not going to make the alternator put out any more power. After you have held steady for awhile charging the dead battery- just let it idle back down and go try to start the other vehicle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.