tried everything electrical problem on 05 ford focus need help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
ghost1031
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58607
What I Drive: 2005 burgundy ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 ghost1031 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy tried everything electrical problem on 05 ford focus need help

i own a 2005 ford focus and i have been havin an electrical issue with it...while driving all the light will blink and as i drive more they blink faster..what i mean by light is the radio the dashboard..i also start hearing a clicking noise coming from under the sterring wheel and the car act like it wants to turn off..if i turn it off sometimes it wont turn back on and i have to wait or if it does turn on my clock and radio resets...i have taking it to several mechanics including the dealership and i keep getting new things done but never is it fixed..they have changed the battery, did a tune up, changed the electrical ignition switch and disconnected the auto alarm and still not fixed..i just want to know whats wrong..i cant afford all these guesses..im a single mom of two lil ones and i need a reliable vehicle...can anyone help me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
ammorgan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34226
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 ammorgan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm gonna take a guess here. Electric relay. Or some fuse is bad in the car fuse box (not the one under the hood)
Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
ILuvMyZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26263
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ILuvMyZX3 Good Standing Member
^^ I think the mechanics would've thought of that one already and checked them out, but you never know. might be. pull the fuses from under the dashboard. there's a little CD case compartment/holder under the dashboard by where your left knee would be if you're sitting on the driver side. Open it and pull it all the way out. the fuse box is right behind that little door. i suggest you use pliers to pull them out as they are very tight. make sure you pull them out and put them back in one by one to avoid problems and confusion.
keep us posted.

and welcome to the forums.
Team Duratec #45
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
You actually paid for a tune-up to fix an electrical problem?

You need to take it back to whoever worked on it, and demand the problem be fixed at no cost.....or you want your money back for the previous unsuccessful repair.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
ammorgan
Focus Enthusiast

With the problem with our car originally we were told the ignition was going bad and that it wasn't reading the chip in the key sometimes. So they put in a new ignition switch, relay, and then it kept happening so we took it back and this time they told us the gem module needed to be replaced. It was a problem they didn't "find" the first time and would need to be replaced for our car to work right supposedly.

Last edited by whynotthinkwhynot; 08-20-2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: GEM module, not GE =)
Old 08-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
ammorgan
Focus Enthusiast

Duplicate post

Last edited by ammorgan; 08-19-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Feral
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58350
What I Drive: 1 2002 / 2 2001 Wagons

FF Reputation: 53 Feral Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Had the same problem on my car turned out to be the rebuilt alternator that was just installed.. it had a faulty regulator the faster I went the less charge it would supply which triggered the relays into acting up... I also has the Light Phases on one occasion they light up so bright they burnt out which I then plugged in my battery minder ( has a volt meter and it was sitting at 18.7 volts and the unit beeped overcharge

on the controllers they will act up, stop working or misbehave if there voltage fluctuates to much seeing not everything has a voltage stabilizer

I complained to the rebuilder they refunded the money and bought a scrap yard alternator and everythings running fine now

whats funny is my neighbour just approached me with the same problem with his import about the lights phasing and I asked was his alternator rebuilt or new he said rebuilt 7 months ago.. I told him to change it
Old 08-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
oddballish
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51285
What I Drive: 2006,Blue,fx4

FF Reputation: 1 oddballish Good Standing Member
If the radio and clock are clearing it has to be a complete power disconnect. The clicking is probably a /or several relays going off / on when the power drops out and then back on.
Start at the battery connections, then where the cables are crimped / soldered to the cable connectors, and unfortunately the focus is notorious for its bad grounds. If none of these are bad check the loom in the tilt portion of the steering column for shorts / bare wires .
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
macados
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 66252
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 macados Good Standing Member
This sound like a problem I'm having in my ZX4. Just bought it 4 months ago. If you can fix the problem, let me know what works. I'll keep the alternator in mind. My IAC is clicking (I just learned from a different thread). It seems there are a lot of culprits to this issue.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
BigEd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38134
What I Drive: 04 focus se

FF Reputation: 2 BigEd Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=ghost1031;2297076]i own a 2005 ford focus and i have been havin an electrical issue with it...while driving all the light will blink and as i drive more they blink faster..what i mean by light is the radio the dashboard..QUOTE]
I know I am late to this posting, but here goes...

Replace the alternator, first.... The blinking lights is because the electric fan is kicking on for either the air conditioner or engine cooling and its loading the system extra hard at initial startup, causing the already weak alternator to not be able to keep up. I am at our 3rd alternator on an 04 se 4dr with 114k miles on it.

Good luck with it, as I am already greasied up and in the middle of changing my own alternator, myself.

Bookmarks & Social Networks