SC vs. turbo in autoX - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #31
wrc_fan
slow
 
wrc_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 11913
Location: Greenville, SC
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Posts: 1,715
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^^ I disagree

-Why would you be accelerating going into a turn?
-If you hit the powerband during a turn, your front tires will break loose and you will understeer, not loose control

No if you go from full power, to throttle off in a turn, you will spin, roll the car, no. Were you talking about cars flipping at an autox?

The recipie for flipping a car at an autox is to take a high cg car, stock rear swaybar and springs, slap on some hoosiers that are too wide for the wheel they are mounted on (225s on a 6in wheel) Then go run on concrete, makes sharp unsettling inputs to the car, and then you may be able to flip it, or at least scare the crap out of yourself.

A turbo setup can have a tremendous amount of flexability, and is the way to go for autox.
__________________
Parking Lot Hero
2008 WRX daily driver
2003 ZX3 23D Autox Car 42 FSP

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
wrc_fan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #32
blackoutSVT
Lurking
 
blackoutSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52102
Location: Rowlett, TX
What I Drive: 86 sportster1100, 12 Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 1,999
FF Reputation: 9 blackoutSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
^^ I disagree

-Why would you be accelerating going into a turn?
-If you hit the powerband during a turn, your front tires will break loose and you will understeer, not loose control

No if you go from full power, to throttle off in a turn, you will spin, roll the car, no. Were you talking about cars flipping at an autox?

The recipie for flipping a car at an autox is to take a high cg car, stock rear swaybar and springs, slap on some hoosiers that are too wide for the wheel they are mounted on (225s on a 6in wheel) Then go run on concrete, makes sharp unsettling inputs to the car, and then you may be able to flip it, or at least scare the crap out of yourself.

A turbo setup can have a tremendous amount of flexability, and is the way to go for autox.
i think you need to reread what i wrote. i never said it would cause a wreck i said it could.. and most inexperienced drivers have a better chance of losing control of their car in a turn, that some one that has been doing it for some time..

come down to Texas and ill take you out on a big boy track and i can show you better what im talking about... it is hard to get my point across with out a reference i can fiscally show you...

almost any of the drivers that race competitively will tell you to go SC and like i said this is only IMO.

but first thing is first the OP needs to upgrade his suspension. after that i think it would be an ok idea to think about going FI.


i see u race STS. i don't know how long you have been doing autoX, but you do seem know what your talking about.. and i say lets agree to disagree.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytryder View Post
I've no doubt that the Marquise de Sade is alive and well and is designing Focus seats.
blackoutSVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #33
wrc_fan
slow
 
wrc_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Fan#: 11913
Location: Greenville, SC
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Posts: 1,715
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutSVT View Post
come down to Texas and ill take you out on a big boy track and i can show you better what im talking about... it is hard to get my point across with out a reference i can fiscally show you...
Well, when you say track, do you mean time trials, NASA,...other?

My experience is with SCCA sanctioned events, or events ran in a similar manner. The courses we run in our local region keep speeds to the guidelines set in the SCCA rulebook.

Personally, I don't like to see the preception spread that autocross is a sport where you are going to go out there and crash your car, roll it over, run into barriers etc. These are questions I often get when working to introduce others to the sport. Sure people are going to spin their car, but most of time you can put two feet in and shut things down pretty quickly.

Now if your talking about time trials or non-scca events, then that's another spectrum of racing.
__________________
Parking Lot Hero
2008 WRX daily driver
2003 ZX3 23D Autox Car 42 FSP

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
wrc_fan is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #34
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Fan#: 64465
Location: menasha, WI
What I Drive: blue sub #6

Posts: 5,449
FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
^^ agreed. ive spun the fof severeal times (still learning,doh!!) i dint think i'll be putting r comps on it till i ca nrun a lapping day with my autocross group and not spin out like a fool,lol.

as for what type of power adder. i say turbo. it's the most flexible and can be lowered or raised depending on the size of the track and turns. my gues is 8.5 to 12 lbs. will do it for you.
__________________
MR. freaking negative
i'm not an enthusiast...... the internets told me.
Paladin is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #35
blackoutSVT
Lurking
 
blackoutSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Fan#: 52102
Location: Rowlett, TX
What I Drive: 86 sportster1100, 12 Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 1,999
FF Reputation: 9 blackoutSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
Well, when you say track, do you mean time trials, NASA,...other?

My experience is with SCCA sanctioned events, or events ran in a similar manner. The courses we run in our local region keep speeds to the guidelines set in the SCCA rulebook.

Personally, I don't like to see the preception spread that autocross is a sport where you are going to go out there and crash your car, roll it over, run into barriers etc. These are questions I often get when working to introduce others to the sport. Sure people are going to spin their car, but most of time you can put two feet in and shut things down pretty quickly.

Now if your talking about time trials or non-scca events, then that's another spectrum of racing.
no no not time trials.. it is SCCA... just not parking lot auto X... it is basically the same thing on a large scale... depending on where we are at we will set cones up and do it that way but other times we are running on open track. it is a lot of fun... and you are right if all i herd about autoX was how im going to crash than i would never go.. when i started going i had people tell me kinda as a heads up this could happen.. i have never wrecked my self i have come close but never did...

if this is something you have never done before i recommend doing it at least once to get the experience from it... any one can tell you how much fun auto X is...

now back on topic.. i asked this same question two. and with i was told was that in a turn with a turbo when u hit the apex of the turn and are starting to come out of it and you hit the gas if you turbo is small enough it will hit max boost in the turn and can!! cause u to lose control. now i have lost full control of my car before and it never crashed but it scared the shit out of me. so i have been told by others not to go turbo.. now since my car is my daily driver and i do other forms of racing i want the turbo for the pick up i also want the extra power for the long run after some turns to get better time.. i could get the same result with a SC but im just a bigger fan of turbos...lol...

i guess what it all comes down to is do what you feel you can handle...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytryder View Post
I've no doubt that the Marquise de Sade is alive and well and is designing Focus seats.
blackoutSVT is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE
 
Paladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Fan#: 64465
Location: menasha, WI
What I Drive: blue sub #6

Posts: 5,449
FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
with a small turbo its as simple as teaching your self to roll on the gas instead of straight wot. so no problems there. a spin would be driver error in that situation.
if you managed to spin... most likely you will kill the inside tire in a blazing puff of smoke after every corner driving like that. a diff would help in this instance.
__________________
MR. freaking negative
i'm not an enthusiast...... the internets told me.
Paladin is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boosted Crew Updated ZX3_2NV General Forced Induction 66 01-26-2009 11:22 AM
For Sale: Garrett GT3071R Turbo pocus02x3 Archive 19 01-24-2009 05:05 PM
Fs Zetec Turbo Kit Boostedfoci88 Archive 58 08-22-2007 10:17 AM
Turbo noob's q 2Slow2Race General Forced Induction 6 05-09-2007 01:30 AM
Turbo Questions - maybe a sticky eventually? petik General Forced Induction 5 10-11-2004 02:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.