Wish me luck! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Thumbs up Wish me luck!

Well, the time has come.

After getting my novice SCCA license earlier this year in a friend's RX7, the mods to my former daily driver are being completed this week, and I'm bringing my "virgin" Focus to it's first event @ Summit Point, WV (main course) this weekend.

(actually 2 races over the same weekend)

Here's a few pics of the car, I'll take some more over the weekend and give everyone an update on how things went.

I added some contrasting graphics now that it's not a daily driver, but I still have to get the car numbers and class lettering added.

Here's a few of the roll cage that's about 80% complete. I'll be picking up the car tomorrow night after the remainder of the work is done. I'll just need to bolt on the tow hooks, and install the fuel test port when I get her back.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Blackcatn2o
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Your one crazy guy Tom. thanks for the LCA's.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
daveyboy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61480
What I Drive: 06 Mustang GT, 09 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 daveyboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ive always wanted to road race.Whats involved in getting your SCCA novice licence? BTW good luck. tell us how you do.
Wheel gap is like a vagina the more fingers you can fit in the worse it is.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
BadIdea
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is the diagonal allowed to go right to left?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
tb1999
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadIdea View Post
Is the diagonal allowed to go right to left?
For SCCA current rules, yes.

From a engineering perspecitive, I understand that this diagonal is only there to keep the main hoop from "folding" sideways, and this will work equally well when the bar is slanted in either direction. You end up with a pair of triangles either way, and they pretty much work equally well resisting collapse in both orientations.

In an open top car, it is common to see guy's using a "1/2 hoop" design that reduces drag by having less bars exposed above the bodywork.

When that is done, since there is only a bar over the driver's head, the diagonal will slant from top left to lower right when viewed from behind, but with a full main hoop it usually can go either way.

FWIW, in my opinion, keeping as many bars away from the driver as possible means less chance of blunt trauma in an accident. For this reason it is my personal preference to keep the upper portion of this diagonal bar away from my head.

I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
tb1999
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
Ive always wanted to road race.Whats involved in getting your SCCA novice licence? BTW good luck. tell us how you do.
You just need a race ready vehicle, which can be your own car, or rented, (My friend Dave loaned me his RX7 in trade for some auto repair work and services I had provided him in the last 10 months.) then you have to enter an SCCA Race School. The requirement is two SCCA run schools, or you can also substitute one approved "private school" like Skip Barber, or Bertil Roos etc.

IF the SCCA stewards sign off on your schools as "ready to compete", you will get a novice permit.

That gets you into any "regional" races, as a novice. After 2 "safe" regional events, you can apply for a "regional license" and after 4 more events, you can apply for a "national license".

the difference is mainly that you cannot run in a national event on only a regional license.

You can find more info on the SCCA website.

>> HERE <<

Its also a good idea to read a book

like this one.....

Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
tb1999
Focus Addict

Thumbs up Summit Pt Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
BTW good luck. tell us how you do.
The weekend was great. Good weather and lots of good company. I am blessed by the fact one of my best friends has been racing for years, and knows lots of racers at these east coast tracks. So when I arrived on Friday night, he had already phoned ahead, and I was greeted by some of the WDC region's most hospitable racers that took me in as family.

So day 1 was a practice session, a qualifying session, then a short 10 lap race. Sunday was a 20 lap race.

I made it through both days without incident, but did not set any ITE track records. It's sort of unusual to have a Focus in this class, it mainly fill up with high HP "ex" race cars from 5-10 years ago. ( like the 800HP 95 Camaro with full tube chassis and fiberglass body). In the run group I was in, the only class I was close to was the ITS class, which left me duelling with BMW E30 325's and a second gen RX7. I did pretty good, and set some decent lap times. (my best was 1:30.47, with typical times running a .5 - 1.5 seconds slower. )

My first day was a bit slower, and I did not do too well with the other ITS cars, but on the second day I was able to dispatch a couple of those ITS cars early on, then kept pace with another "rookie" driving a 325I. We were so evenly matched, his best time was only .2 sec faster than me.

I have the whole second race on video, and when I get the time to edit the highlights, I'll be posting some clips to youtube.

For now, here's a few pics from this weekend at Summit Pt.

Here's a quick clip showing how stiff the chassis is on my car now with the roll cage.

Roll cage demo

So, I need one more SCCA event to apply for a regional license as a full competitor. After this weekend, it's very apparent that both me and the car have a long way to go before either of us are moderately competitive. ITE is no place for a 170HP Focus.

I just need to get through this year, then over the winter the car will get built UP or DOWN into a class it might be competitive in! But with 800HP tube chassis race cars in ITE, I will not be running that class in 2010!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Schroeder02

Fan#: 53191
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT & 2007 Red ST

FF Reputation: 62 Schroeder02 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Cool wish I could have made it out this weekend to watch. I was in the middle of a major overhaul with the SVT.

I hear what your talking about with the Classing of the car GaryK ran is SVT with EMRA it was also classed with the gen 2 RX7 and the BMW’s. the only real advantage we had was better fuel mileage in the longer races or if it rained.

How was the condition of the track, have they been able to fix all the bad pavement.

Hopefully I’ll be able to meet up with you some point this year, I’d love to talk shop with you about springs and brake and things.

Do you have any special rituals when the helmet is concerned like many have? - I wipe it so that I can see better.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
tb1999
Focus Addict

Now with video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post
Cool wish I could have made it out this weekend to watch. I was in the middle of a major overhaul with the SVT.

I hear what your talking about with the Classing of the car GaryK ran is SVT with EMRA it was also classed with the gen 2 RX7 and the BMW’s. the only real advantage we had was better fuel mileage in the longer races or if it rained.

How was the condition of the track, have they been able to fix all the bad pavement.

Hopefully I’ll be able to meet up with you some point this year, I’d love to talk shop with you about springs and brake and things.
The track condition is rough in some spots, but the patching seems to be holding up OK. The worst parts are obviously in the carousel and turn 1. There were no holes anywhere and you can use the entire track, but it's like a cheese grater in some spots. We walked the track saturday night, and it's not pretty.

I think our cars could make a run against the BMW's and RX7's, check out my video here > YOUTUBE - SUMMIT PT 05.31.09 My best time for the weekend was 1:30.47, which is 4 seconds faster than NASA'a current Spec Focus track record there. (BTW - I'm currently @ 2675 with full tank of gas and driver, with 1695/980 F/R split. The last dyno was putting 150 to the wheels.)

X2 on having a chance to meet and talk shop. I've got something I'm working on for brake cooling ducts, and I need to tighten up my chassis. The H&R race springs and Koni yellows are OK, but I need coil overs to set ride heights and corner weights, and I'm thinking I want to run at least double my current spring rates.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Blackcatn2o
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
if you want to tighten up the chassie an bolt on coilovers, buy the Spax RSX coilovers, there 500 lbs per springs.

Last edited by Blackcatn2o; 06-02-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typed to fast an screwed up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks