ZX3 Trailer Lights Wiring Tips - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
jungleboy35
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64744
What I Drive: 2003 tan se

FF Reputation: 1 jungleboy35 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE=carcrash;1700669]I can confirm the wiring colors are the same for the 2004 Focus Sedan LE. I also tapped in before the wires separated, it is much easier and cleaner IMHO.

One more addition to paul-WI's instructions though:

Green with black stripe - brakes

(it is the wire that is spliced into two already, one wire to each side) Can you tell me what wire do i connect the brake light too.Everthing but the brake lights work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Attobot2006
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63476
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZTS Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Attobot2006 Good Standing Member
Are you guys running the trailer lights straight off the foci tail light power? Or are you using the foci tails to activate a RELAY?

Personally, I don't like the idea of the car's internal lighting power being extended to an outside body (imagine if a short would occur). IMO better off wiring in a relay for EACH light with it's own independent power line and SEPERATE in-line fuse just for safe measure.

Out of curiousity, what are you guys hauling in those cute iddy biddy trailers? Somehow I imagine them stuffed with picnic items or filled with ice and cold drinks.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
tfxluc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68433
What I Drive: 2003,yellow,ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 tfxluc Good Standing Member
I confirm, i just installed today reese wiring kit on my ZX5 2003 and the colors are the same
Orange - tail lights
blue/red - right turn
blue - left turn
black - ground

I'll post the pictures I took tomorow
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
tfxluc
Focus Rookie

Here is like i promised the images I took yesterday, everything works fine, i know this isn't the best way to do it but for the cash and knowledge right now this is the best it's getting. Like ajohn505 said you don't have to rip the right side, I did because it was the place where the blue/red wire was the most accessible

[img=http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3794/1001388b.jpg][/IMG]
[img=http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2719/1001389o.jpg][/IMG]
[img=http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1512/1001390h.jpg][/IMG]
[img=http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/8686/1001391i.jpg][/IMG]
Old 08-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
tfxluc
Focus Rookie

error
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
ElectEng
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68592
What I Drive: 2007 Grey 4 Dr Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 ElectEng Good Standing Member
Grn w/Blk stripe & Grn w/Red stripe are Lt & Rt backup lights respectively. They are NOT the brake lights!

I checked the current. Without the trailer it's 4A through fuse #30. My trailer which has side lights and tail lights added 1.8A for a total of 5.8A. The fuse is 10A so I see no issue there. You can test the current by pulling the fuse and touching the probes of a DC Ampmeter across where the fuse plugged in.

As suggested earlier, you can place a fuse inline with each of the lighting circuits: orange (tail lights), Blue (Lt Turn/Brake) and Blue w/Red Stripe(Rt Turn/Brake). This would protect against blowing the car fuses and losing your rear car lights in the event of a trailer short.

Given my trailer only pulls 1.8A, I won't need a relay. The existing 10A fuse can easily handle 5.8A. I'll use 3A fuses for the (3) trailer circuits.

I recommend getting one of those little plastic boxes to stow the wires when not in use. It makes for a neat job and keeps the plug clean.

I have a few pictures but don't see the 'Manage Attachments' button the FAQ says should be there. It's my 1st post ever so I'm sure I must be missing something.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
mwalsh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56630
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZTS | 2005 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 mwalsh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attobot2006 View Post
Out of curiousity, what are you guys hauling in those cute iddy biddy trailers? Somehow I imagine them stuffed with picnic items or filled with ice and cold drinks.

Stuff for car shows really - the pop-up; camp chairs; cooler; build-board and easel; etc.....

On the Focus, it was more just something to do. There is a fair amount of room inside the Focus already, so not something I'd need on a regular basis. I am going to build a 4 X 6 deck with side rails for the trailer eventually, so it will have more utility on the Focus then.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
mhoopes
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9179
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver ZX5 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 mhoopes Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info, guys- I did take some pics in my 2004 ZX5. Here's what it looks like, before and after the splice.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.115143,-122.574812
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #19
northofnowhere
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101120
What I Drive: 2000 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 northofnowhere Good Standing Member
Found this post and registered just to say thanks for the tips, and yea, I got a hitch on my focus, lol. All the neighbors got big trucks to haul everything around with, all I got is my Focus and a 63 Studebaker (which almost got the hitch instead).

I use mine to tow a small 4X8 utility trailer. Great for yard scraps to the Village brush pile, or throw a canoe on top and head to the river. Also, the only reason I put money into the trailer and hitch was because the closest small engine repair place charges $40 to pick up and drop off the darned snow blower. Now my little car and trailer can save a few bucks.

I have a feeling the wife will eventually realize all the money into my little car's hitch and used trailer will not equal a savings in snow blower repair hauls, but um, until she figures it out I am golden. I like to bag my grass clippings and deal with my leaves when I have the time, throw it all in the trailer, and drag it to the woods when I can, works great for it.

Did recently haul 1,200 pounds of roof shingles to the dump as well, handled fine and had no issues, and relatively good mpg as well.

Thanks for the wiring tips!

-north
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
ArcticGabe
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86046
What I Drive: 2013 SE Hatch MTX

FF Reputation: 1 ArcticGabe Good Standing Member
Same for 02 Sedan

Wow, and I was beginning to think I was strange for putting a hitch and harness on my Focus, all of my friends laughed at the idea.

I use it for hauling a 4x8 trailer, makes runs to the lumber yard much easier.

I can confirm all of the wiring colors are the same for 02 sedan.
orange (or orange w/white stripe)- tail lights
blue/red - right turn
blue - left turn
green w/red stripe (or green w/black stripe) - Stop
black - ground

Don't forget, you will need a 3-to-2 wire converter since the brake and turn lamps are separate, like this one from eTrailer. This one uses the power already supplied to the stop/turn/tail lamps to power the trailer, also. This works fine for a small trailer with only a single fixture on each side for tail/stop and maybe one side marker on each side. If your trailer has more lights, you'll need a powered controller, like this one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks