How To: Custom Door Sill Plate - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
How To: Custom Door Sill Plate

This wasn't my idea, but I thought I'd get around to doing it, along with a how to. This idea came from bluefront:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
And a custom sill plate from Home Depot made out of a rubber stair tread $2 per door.

This is an inexpensive mod that you can easily do. This is my first "official" how to so bear with me and I hope everyone can follow it. (there'll be a test later. )

Tools needed:
Three rubber stair treads (two if not a sedan)
Double sided carpet tape
A pair of utility shears
A box cutter or razor blade
A heat gun
2 Different colors of spray paint (optional)
Clear coat (again, optional)
Glass cleaner and paper towels
2" sticker lettering (optional)
Tape measure

Okay, the painting and lettering are optional. You can still do this mod without them. I just wanted a more eye-catching look with mine. Here we go.

STEP 1:
Start by purchasing the items needed. I got the stair treads and carpet tape at Home Depot and the black paint, clear coat and 2" lettering at Walmart. These are what the stair treads will look like when you go to buy them:

STEP 2:
Measure the door sill of your Focus. You can actually get the sill plate to go under the door seal.

STEP 3:
Once you get the measurement, use the utility shears to trim the stair tread to fit.

I also trimmed a bit from the lip for a better fit.

STEP 4:
Once you get it trimmed, use the heat gun to soften the plastic up check the fitment. The heat gun will make the plastic easier to work with. Make any additional trims as needed to get the fitment correct.

STEP 5:
Now comes the decorative part. Start by using some window cleaner and clean the piece.

Then, use one of the two colors of spray paint to paint the piece (I used matched paint). This layer of paint will be the color of the lettering once we are done (any Military peeps that's ever painted bumper numbers on vehicles will know this technique).

Once the paint is dry, determine what you want your door sill to say. Use the 2" lettering and apply it to the piece.
NOTE: I recommend using the tape measure to find the middle and start applying the lettering there. The tape measure will also allow for even spacing between letters. Continue until you get all the letters applied.

STEP 6:
Once the letters are applied, take the other color of paint (I used Gloss Black), and paint over the piece again, letters and all.

STEP 7:
Once the paint is dry (recommend letting it dry overnight), use a box cutter or other razor blade and VERY CAREFULLY peel the lettering off. The razor is more for just starting the peeling process. Once you get the letter started peeling, you can use your hands to remove it. Continue until all the lettering is removed.

STEP 8:
Apply clear coat.

STEP 9:
Reclean the back side of the piece, if needed, then apply the double sided carpet tape.

STEP 10:
Clean the door sill. Use the heat gun again to soften up the plastic for the final fitment.

Once the final fitment is complete, then peel off the other non-sticky part of the tape, apply and TA-DA!!!

For some added uniqueness, this is how I did the back sill plates:

The clearance between the door and the sill plates are fine and the lip will contact with the rubber door seal at the bottom of the door.

If you do not want to do the paint and lettering, you can still follow these steps to apply just the plain, black piece. I hope you were all able to follow this. If you have any questions, let me know. Enjoy.

Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules

Last edited by CJohn364; 05-02-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
jhurst747
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63743
What I Drive: 2007 Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 jhurst747 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If we were in Iowa, I'd ask you to marry me. haha

Thanks for the walkthrough. I was about to attempt this and was going to bother bluefront again for advice. Now he logon to the site without 40 PM's.

This needs to be sticky'd. Props to bluefront and to you for the idea and tutorial.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
warlordzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55744
What I Drive: 2000, Red, ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 warlordzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looks amazing! I just wonder how much abuse it'll take before paint starts to scratch off or when it starts to peel off the car. It'd probably take awhile, but something to ponder. Definitely needs to be a sticky though. Awesome job.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordzx3 View Post
Looks amazing! I just wonder how much abuse it'll take before paint starts to scratch off or when it starts to peel off the car. It'd probably take awhile, but something to ponder. Definitely needs to be a sticky though. Awesome job.
I thought about that, as well. That's why it's an inexpensive mod.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Memberbluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yeah that's one of my favorite mods to date.....thanks for the credit.

The stair treads I found were slightly different. Your's looks like the lip edge was curled all the way into a "U". Mine was more like an "L"......so I didn't have to trim that outer lip at all.....it was a perfect fit. These things can be found at most big hardware or building supply stores. I've only seen them in black, but with slightly different patterns.

I don't know about the painting.....I'd worry about messing it up with my shoe. But it looks nice with all your extra work.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefront View Post
Yeah that's one of my favorite mods to date.....thanks for the credit.

The stair treads I found were slightly different. Your's looks like the lip edge was curled all the way into a "U". Mine was more like an "L"......so I didn't have to trim that outer lip at all.....it was a perfect fit. These things can be found at most big hardware or building supply stores. I've only seen them in black, but with slightly different patterns.

I don't know about the painting.....I'd worry about messing it up with my shoe. But it looks nice with all your extra work.
Yeah, they were more like "U"s but that is why I used the heat gun to shape it better. I trimmed the lip because it was a bit too long. Apparently, I got a different brand of stair tread then when you did yours.

That's why I use the clear coat, for the added protection for the paint.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 04-27-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
justanotherZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58219
What I Drive: '04 silver ZX3 23 duratec PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 justanotherZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Wow. the ideas keep getting better and better. props to you both for your creativity. I hope that paint doesnt begin to scratch off but if it does then hey......just do it again. the beauty of cheap mods
Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I wonder how it look with chrome spray paint, to simalate metal.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60687
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Blaupunkt ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 skikid89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I like it.... I may just do this for my ZX3...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
focusonthis420
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30951
What I Drive: SGM 2012 5dr

FF Reputation: 17 focusonthis420 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
Looks like I'll be doing this on my sedan after I rip off the ugly chrome eBay ones I have on there now lol. Very nice work!

Bookmarks & Social Networks