Going to Power Locks Questions - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60687
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Blaupunkt ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 skikid89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Going to Power Locks Questions

Hey guys. So I have a project. One of my buddies is building a freaking bad a** sedan. Thats all I'm going to say of that. He is not going to have any power stuff in this thing.

That being said, I have manual locks. His sedan came with power ones. The sedan is an 01, and mine is a ZX3 and is an 03. He was all the wiring and parts from it.

Now. Here is what I am thinking of doing. I'm going to need some help, and looking for you guys to do it. If I take his power locks, and door buttons, and the wiring. Can I make it work.

I'm not trying to tie into the car at all. I'm not trying to make it work with the factory remote. (I have an aftermarket security system that I would use for this) All I want to do is wire them up so that When you push the lock button, it locks the doors and when you hit the unlock button it unlocks the doors.

So. If I get his door latches, will they work from ZX4 to ZX3? Second, making my own wiring harness (and using bits and pieces of the stock one) can I wire them up in a way to just make the buttons work?

Thanks for any and all help!

Austin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes you can make it work.
Actuators, mounting brackets, 2 relay, 30feet of 16 gauge wire.
5wire setup.
connecting to the alarm only is gonna be the easiest way to do this. if you want to incorporate it in the car 100% then your gonna need a lot more labor and parts, if your going that far you might as well do the power locks and windows.you wont need the latches and buttons in other words..
Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady R View Post
Yes you can make it work.
Actuators, mounting brackets, 2 relay, 30feet of 16 gauge wire.
5wire setup.
connecting to the alarm only is gonna be the easiest way to do this. if you want to incorporate it in the car 100% then your gonna need a lot more labor and parts, if your going that far you might as well do the power locks and windows.you wont need the latches and buttons in other words..
Well all I want is the power locks buttons to work. I'm not trying to transplant doors or anything. I can get the latches from a 4 door (and all its wiring) for free. I have a 3 door.

I'm not trying to tie in the power locks from the four door to the factory remote system or anything like that.

Actually lets just not worry about the alarm (factory or aftermarket). Let just say this... Is there a way that if I get the latches, handles, and buttons, (all with a little bit of wiring from them) can I put them in my car and wire it so that when I push the lock button, both doors lock and unlock?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Anyone done this conversion?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

Help! Please!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
tkheaven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59098
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 tkheaven Good Standing Member
sounds like a dang good project but I haven't a CLUE on how to do this...
creating the perfect pres. candidate and send him back eight years ...impossible...
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

I know. I really want to do it because it will be all stock parts and only cost me some wire and connections. I just want some advise before I dive into it.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
if you have all the parts needed to do this all i need to know really is what the issue really is then? tieing it in to power in the car or the entire assembly of it from scratch. btw im an electronics engineer and have worked on cars electrical systems for 13yrs, so im very positive its an easy install.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
slydarkwolf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46261
What I Drive: 2001, Silver, LX

FF Reputation: 28 slydarkwolf Great Standing Member
Hey Kid, I did this whole project and together it only took a day. However, I used "ALL OEM PARTS" so I didn't make any harness's for my car. However... it will work, just as long as you have it ground correctly and powered correctly...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
skikid89
Focus Enthusiast

I have the whole harness. But someone had cut the wires going into the doors. I have all the ends so I could splice them all together. Here were my questions. I haven't gotten to tear into the car and check any of this out yet.
1. Are the latching mechanisms and the door key mechanisms a different piece so that I can retain my original key.
2. Does it require the changing of the GEM module. I have heard that talked about, but don't know all that it does. I don't plan on using the factory remote locks (don't have the remotes) so is the GEM necessary.
3. The donor car is an 01 with an SPI and mine is an 03 with a Zetec. Does that make any difference?

Bookmarks & Social Networks